Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 45acp feed problems

All,
    Everytime I reload a 45 acp and feed it into my HK Tactical the bullet falls out of the brass.

Here is the scenario. I'm reloading with a Dillon 550, RCBS dies, Winchester x1 fired Brass, CCI 300 primer, 200gr X-treme bullet, 6.8 of Power Pistol, pre COAL 1.267. This is what happens; I load up my HK Tactical Magazine with the 45acp reloaded rounds, insert the full magazine, release the slide allowing the round to be fed by the cycle of operation itself. Once the round seats the bullet comes out of the brass. Then I have a nasty mess of gun powder to clean. At first I thought it was the crimp; But, now I think it is the COAL. I got lucky after approx 15 rds, I finally got one bullet to stay intact. I remeasured the bullet and it measured to be 1.226. Can someone pls help me with this problem?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 45acp feed problems

Sounds like a crimp problem. I would start there first. Load a couple dummy rounds and adjust crimp a little at a time to see if stops problem.Also would be a good idea to measure bullets to make sure there to spec.I load the same bullets on the same press no problems. I use 1.230 for c.o.l. but check load data for your powder befor adjusting.
    Last edited by asavo757; June 13th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

asavo757,
    I have adjusted the crimp so tight it has deformed the bullet. I even loosened the crimp to almost none. I even bought some factory ammo and went from there. Still no out come. What is your crimp diamater?

(Lancaster County)

Put your calipers on a new bullet. What is the dia?

If you crimped the brass around the bullet to the point of deforming the bullet, how could it fall out of the brass?

Sounds like you are not seating the bullets deep enough into the brass to get a grip on them.

Speer 13th edition lists 1.155" to 1.275" for COL depending on bullet used so you are in the right range....unless you are not reading your measuring instrument correctly. What are you using?
    Last edited by Franchi20/28; June 14th, 2010 at 02:03 AM.

What size is your expander? Not the "bell" part, but the area below that.
    Sounds like it could be oversized, not getting enough tension.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

Are you using a taper-crimp die? If you are using the crimp shoulder in the seating die, there is no place for the case mounth to turn-in (most bullets meant for .45 ACP have no cannelure), thus your bullet deformation. You need a separate taper-crimp die, which just swages the case down to a smaller diameter around the bullet, while leaving the case mouth unmolested, so that it can properly headspace. (Before I get flamed - I know that in reality the .45 and other rimless cartridges usually headspace on the extractor - but the design of the cartridge is such that it is supposed to headspace on the case mouth). Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I have only been reloading for about 18 months but let me throw out some comments. I adjust the bell so that there is only enough to allow me to set the bullet - too much bell will do exactly what you are seeing. By that, I mean that you have enough bell and then you crimp the snot out of the bullet. However, the lead is softer than the brass so it deforms and then goes undersized. The brass, oth, springs back into shape with some of the bell still there. I would reduce your bell to the point that the bullet barely will set up. I would then adjust your crimp so you are only crimping enough to remove the bell.

Next comment - take one of your bullets that is falling out of the brass and measure its diameter. Compare that to a bullet that has yet to be seated. I am guessing that you will find that you crimped the completed round so much that you compressed the diameter of the bullet. Let us know the before and after results.

Just thinking out loud.
    \

I'd check and adjust the expander I had some rounds that were crushing the brass when I was seating the bullets and I have had the same problem you had but without the mess in the gun. In the 1st situation my sizer got stuck between the powder measuring auto powder drop so it wasn't opening the brass. I noticed this after about two or three bad rounds and problems solved.

2nd situation I had your same kind of problem I had accidentlly adjusted the sizer so it was opening the brass up too large made the adjustment and problem solved.

3rd situation I had to throw some brass away after repeated use they would not hold bullet tight and were just worn out threw that batch away.

(Westmoreland County)

I've seen this in other European pistols. It sounds to me like it has a short throat on it. In otherwords, the rifling is engaging the projectile once the round is chambered. The solution is to have a gunsmith ream the chamber and throat in front of the chamber.
    Captain

Before I let a gun smith alter my HK 45acp I'd just shoot factory ammo in it.

If I could not solve this reloading problem next step is try the same load in a different pistol like 1911 if the problem still exit I'd adjust my dies if it doesn't (if works in the 1911) I'd just buy factory ammo for the HK USP or HK Pistol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast