Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: psa problems

(Philadelphia County)

Default psa problems

since this is turning into a trainwreck, i thought i'd make a new thread as a heads-up/warning to others here. (if you've received a psa order recently, you might want to check your bolt/barrel)

original post from a different thread below. new info in bold.

i just got an order (upper and kit) in from them from last month that's pretty fubar.

1. it's missing the lower parts kit
    2. it came with an a2 grip instead of the stupid moe grip i paid an extra $11 for
    3. they swear that all of their bolts are MPI, but my bolt has no MPI markings of any kind. of course, this leads me to believe that it's not MPI...*
    4. the upper and bcg were clearly fired. they reek of powder, the bore's dirty, and there's carbon on the bcg/bolt. perhaps worse (ie: IF it was merely test fired), the bcg was completely dry. so even if this wasn't some used and returned upper, and psa was the one who fired it... they still fired it without first lubing it?! wtf.
    5. i haven't measured it, and obviously haven't shot it - but the front sight looks canted.

i sent them an email when it arrived, notifying them of 1&2. a couple hours later (when i had time to actually look at it), i sent them another email listing 3-5, asking why it was fired/if they fired it/why they fired it dry; and told them i'm extremely displeased.

the only response i received was a tracking number that's basically a placeholder.

*recent inquiries show that most recent order's bolts aren't marked.

slight update -

they told me they can exchange the bolt for an mpi marked bolt.

still no response to the rest, though.

and i noticed another problem - their webpage explicitly states "Barrel: Barrel is made for Palmetto State Armory by FN using their proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium..."

there is no fn marking on the barrel. and on their industry page on a different site, they've been refusing to tell anyone who supplies their barrels; merely insisting that their barrels are made by americans and then claiming that they're psa barrels.

point being - it's either fn or it's not. if it's listed as an fn barrel, it should be an fn barrel (same with the mpi bolt).

their responses seem to contradict the info on their own product pages.
    Last edited by kimura; May 19th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: psa problems

They test fire all their uppers now.... Test firing 3 rounds isn't going to do anything to your rifle when it's dry (I don't know exactly how many rounds is "test firing")....

I'm getting pissed about their shipping/ lead times/ e-mail bullshit. I've had a shipping notice for, what, 5 days now telling me UPS hasn't received the package to actually ship to me. I'm well over the 15 day build time and I know they just had a big sale, blah, blah, blah, bit I want my shit. 15 day lead time and 5 day shipping shenanigans = my last purchase.

This is my second rifle from PSA and, at this point, it will be my last. I follow them on AR15.com in the industry forum and feel they grew too fast for what their staff can handle. If I'm gonna wait forever for a AR product, I'd rather wait on a BCM.....

My first PSA rifle runs like a fucking top with all ammo and is accurate to boot. I know everyone in the AR business is strapped right now, but I'm getting to the point I'm less willing to play the waiting game...
    Last edited by FLICK; May 21st, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Also, they have barrels made for them by FN and Mossberg. I read this on the same other industry forum you mentioned above. It's my opinion that Mossberg barrels aren't marked and FN ones are. The answer you will get will be, "That information is proprietary..."
    Last edited by FLICK; May 19th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

I recently got an upper kit from psa myself... it was test fired, lubed, built and shipped to me in a total of 8 days from when I placed the order... my bolt is marked, and my barrel is stamped FN like it should be...

The only problem I had was it was shipped without a charging handle, I had a new one at my door 3 days from the time I contacted them about it... it took 2 phone calls, but they got it done...

I believe they are seriously backed up and I hope they aren't sacrificing quality to get the stuff out quicker... I was lucky enough to notice that stuff was starting to become scarce, and ordered mine in the nick of time, sorry you didn't do the same... I honestly expected to wait longer than I did for mine
    "It makes me wonder how and where she carries it, maybe I'd like to smell it too." --- mauser

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird777 View Post
    I recently got an upper kit from psa myself... it was test fired, lubed, built and shipped to me in a total of 8 days from when I placed the order... my bolt is marked, and my barrel is stamped FN like it should be...

The only problem I had was it was shipped without a charging handle, I had a new one at my door 3 days from the time I contacted them about it... it took 2 phone calls, but they got it done...

I believe they are seriously backed up and I hope they aren't sacrificing quality to get the stuff out quicker... I was lucky enough to notice that stuff was starting to become scarce, and ordered mine in the nick of time, sorry you didn't do the same... I honestly expected to wait longer than I did for mine
    Could you please tell me/us what date you ordered, when you got a shipping notice, and when it arrived. Thank you.

And by upper kit, do you mean complete upper or rifle kit?? Again, Thank you.
    Last edited by FLICK; May 19th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird777 View Post
    8 days and only missing a charging handle? some people get all the luck. haha.

my myriad of fraud/screw-ups took 25 days.

(Beaver County)

Let's go back to fall 2008.Midlength upper ordered,not PSA.It took nine months from the time that I ordered it till arrival,was not listed as being out of stock,took several emails to even find out what was going on.It took so long I forgot about it and was surprised when it finally arrived.My point I guess is have a little patience,with their growing pains,I think that they will take care of the problems,always have for me,though mine where minor by comparison,and believe me nobody hates waiting for stuff more than me.I want it yesterday.Things being out of stock and having to wait sucks.Good luck with your purchases and I hope everything turns out OK.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Schuylkill County)

According to my records, ordered Friday April 6th around noon, received shipping notice monday April 9th, delivered on Friday the 13th... I was out of town for work until Saturday morning, noticed no charging handle Saturday night... called first thing Monday the 16th, received charging handle on Friday the 20th... so I was a little off with the shipment of the charging handle...

I ordered a 16 inch midlength rifle kit, Chrome lined hammer forged barrel, magpul handguards, moe grip, psa od green buttstock, od green pmags... psa lpk

It runs great on everything I feed it from TAP, to steel, to lake city... and is plenty accurate. no complaints here except for the initial disappointment of the missing charging handle...
    It is my first ar, but I do have some experience with a few buddies that run lmt, bcm, and armalites
    "It makes me wonder how and where she carries it, maybe I'd like to smell it too." --- mauser

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Let's go back to fall 2008.Midlength upper ordered,not PSA.It took nine months from the time that I ordered it till arrival,was not listed as being out of stock,took several emails to even find out what was going on.It took so long I forgot about it and was surprised when it finally arrived.My point I guess is have a little patience,with their growing pains,I think that they will take care of the problems,always have for me,though mine where minor by comparison,and believe me nobody hates waiting for stuff more than me.I want it yesterday.Things being out of stock and having to wait sucks.Good luck with your purchases and I hope everything turns out OK.
    another company being horrible does not justify psa (or any company) also being horrible.

plus, it's (my issue) not that it took a while. it's not even just that it took a while AND was missing the LPK AND missing the grip.

they advertize MPI bolt and FN barrel.

the bolt does not appear to be MPI and the barrel doesn't appear to be FN.

and the fact that it was dry and dirty bothers me - whether it was test fired (without lubing!? are they morons?) or sold, fired, returned, and sold as new... either way, it's a mess.

and with the changes on their site/their recent list of shady answers - this doesn't seem to be a growing pains issue - but a significant drop in quality.

(Philadelphia County)

where are the fn and mpi marking usually located exactly? ill check mine to tell you if they are marked. i really dont mind if its not fn or mpi really.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast