Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Now It Appears The Army Can't Even Give Them Away

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...0633_07_09.asp

BAGHDAD — The U.S. military has supplied about 10,000 M-16s to the Iraq Army. But officials acknowledged that the Iraqis have decided to maintain the AK-47 as the lead assault rifle.

The Iraq Army has determined that the M-16 was more accurate than the Kalashnikov. But officials said the Army concluded that the AK-47 was more reliable in the searing Iraqi summers.

U.S. Army advisers have completed a course on the M-16 assault rifle for Iraqi soldiers at Camp Taji. The two-week course, which took place in mid-June, was meant to help the Iraq Army introduce the M-16 and, in some units, replace the Soviet-origin AK-47 Kalashnikov assault rifle.

"For their first time, they shot very well — even compared to some U.S. soldiers," Sgt. Kevin Averre, in charge of the training, said.
    Officials said the U.S. military has imposed restrictions on the use of the M-16 to the Iraq Army. They said the Iraqis were required to register each M-16 to ensure that they are not sold or given to Al Qaida or other insurgency groups.

The U.S. Army, amid an accelerated troop withdrawal, has maintained its assault rifle training course in Iraq.

"Many Iraqi soldiers on Camp Taji do not use M-16s, and as the weapons continue to arrive, U.S. units will remain actively engaged in the training of the Iraqi Army," the U.S. Army said on June 21.

"The new M-16s will also update the Iraqi Army's arsenal, as many of their AK-47s are in varying states of disrepair," the U.S. Army said.

In the latest course, Iraqi cadets were taught how to adjust the target sights of the M-16. Other elements in the course included weapons maintenance, something seldom necessary with the AK-47.

"While the Iraqi army has already received thousands of weapons in accordance with the proposed one-for-one swap of AK-47 for M-16, receipt of the weapons is prioritized by necessity," the U.S. Army said.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Now It Appears The Army Can't Even Give Them Away

one for one swap... lets see, what do we the taxpayer pay for an M16, and what does the average real AK cost? (outside of the 86 civilian disarmament here in the US)

(Armstrong County)

thats just......wow

well if they cant give them away ill take one, seeing as how im paying for it anyway lol they have to register the guns to? for some reason i still think some might disappear, just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    one for one swap... lets see, what do we the taxpayer pay for an M16, and what does the average real AK cost?
    http://usliberals.about.com/od/homel...raqNumbers.htm

Lost & Unaccounted for in Iraq - $9 billion of US taxpayers' money and $549.7 million in spare parts shipped in 2004 to US contractors. Also, per ABC News, 190,000 guns, including 110,000 AK-47 rifles.

That is the least of our financial worries over there. Granted this is a very LIBERAL link, but the amount of money doesn't lie. Such an incredible waste of dollars when this country can least afford it. Bill T.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...0633_07_09.asp

BAGHDAD — The U.S. military has supplied about 10,000 M-16s to the Iraq Army. But officials acknowledged that the Iraqis have decided to maintain the AK-47 as the lead assault rifle.

"While the Iraqi army has already received thousands of weapons in accordance with the proposed one-for-one swap of AK-47 for M-16, receipt of the weapons is prioritized by necessity," the U.S. Army said.
    The last time I was over around Baghdad they were already trying to get guys to carry M16's. It was only working so well. I sat down with an Iraqi Captain and tried to talk to him about cleaning his guns. I asked him what kind of cleaning kits they had for the AKs....they didn't have any. It eventually boiled down to him pulling out a Glock and asking if I had any extra front sight posts, since he had bashed his off somehow (didn't ask him how...ha.).

It makes sense for Iraqis to stay with the AK, since almost every family in the rural areas already has an AK, all their gear is set up to carry AK magazines, and ammunition is already abundant for the AK. That's logistically speaking, not in terms of one over the other.

Most of the Regular Iraqi Army duders I talked to didn't really understand the whole aim and shoot thing, so I'm interested to see what new levels of "accuracy" they're going to achieve. Imagine my disappoinment when I was handed a scoped Dragunov and realized that I when I sighted down the scope I was almost looking at my feet. Sigh.....It's not fair that a farmer that can't read or write can have a full auto AK and I can't......

i hope we give them to the Afghanis, just so they can issue and updated "Sweet 16" comic book, complete with burkha-clad female character!

"watch my eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    i hope we give them to the Afghanis, just so they can issue and updated "Sweet 16" comic book, complete with burkha-clad female character!

"watch my eyes"
    Now that's Funny
    Recoil Happens

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Now that's Funny
    That IS funny.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone....why is the government giving anything to people who hate us?

We can't get an M-14 and these knuckleheads are getting handed M-16s?

Where are we going to find a tent big enough for this circus?

Yet another Band-Aid fix for the M-4.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...n-afghanistan/

Perhaps now it won't bounce off windshields. Bill T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast