Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Range Trip and Double Action Practice/I Got to Shoot a Hi Point Today, New Member?

Well, I've been hitting the range like crazy. Today I went and shot my XD, 637 and MKIII. I've been working a lot on shooting the 637. Double action triggers require practice, and I've been doing a lot of it. Today went very well, just gotta remember to pull straight back decisively while not yanking.

I ran into a guy who I've seen at the range before, he was shooting a Hi Point in 9mm. He was telling me how he wanted a .22 so he could shoot for cheap, and I let him take a few rounds on the MKIII. He loved it. He was shooting silhouttes with his Hi Point and he put an entire mag from the MKIII into the face of the target. He was very impressed. I explained to him how they were great for new shooters, great for working on accuray, great for saving money, and built like a tank. I told him there were a few for sale in our classifieds, and gave him the address. (Flyer fail... Didn't have any.)

I let him shoot my XD and he let me shoot his Hi Point. Interesting little gun. The sights are something else. I don't really know how I feel about them, I only shot a mag through the gun, so I didn't really get too acquainted with them. Felt recoil was minimal. The action on the gun seemed super loosey goosey, it took almost zero effort to work the slide, so much so that when I chambered a round I wasn't sure if I'd actually gotten one to go into the pipe. I dropped the mag and stripped it out, just to see if one had gone in. Yup. The gun seemed to work fine. He fired two or three boxes of ammo while I was there, didn't have any malfunctions.

Overall a good day at the range. I told him all about the site and how to work the classifieds. I told him to shoot me or one of you jokers a PM if he had any questions. Hopefully he'll take me up on that offer.

Now I'm gonna go clean guns. Winchester Wildcats have got to be the dirtiest, nastiest .22 round ever developed. I guess that's why the Good Lord gave us Hoppe's.
    Last edited by rwb1500; July 26th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Default Re: Range Trip and Double Action Practice/I Got to Shoot a Hi Point Today, New Member

That does sound like a good day at the range shooting, talking and experience different weapons at no expense to each other except fellowship.

He probably got the best of this time. He got to shoot a XD and a Ruger MkIII, both are high quality guns maybe he will upgrade to a better pistol and maybe even a training pistol.

You learned what not to buy unless you really don't have any money to spend on a decent gun you can buy a Hi point and suffer through it. Just handling the Hi Points I have no interest in want to shoot them they feel cumbersome and as you called it loosey goosey. He obviously got lucky and got a good one, my friend owes two one was a 9mm the other a 45acp that worked fine and he was impressed with them until he upgraded to a Taurus Millienium in 45acp. Gave one away and stockpiled the other for just in case situations.

Sound like a great time on the range.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Range Trip and Double Action Practice/I Got to Shoot a Hi Point Today, New Member

Winchester Wildcats have got to be the dirtiest, nastiest .22 round ever developed.

Not nearly as dirty and nasty as thunderbolts - lol. I actually like the wildcats in my Neos - thunderbolts jam up, and when they do fire, it's like a dust store !
    Sounds like a great day at the range, hope mine on Thursday is as well with the new bodyguard 380, my s&w 12-2 I picked up, and may bring my glock or sig just to round out the day
    Last edited by cruzans; July 26th, 2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: got to start spell checking before i submit - lol

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Winchester Wildcats have got to be the dirtiest, nastiest .22 round ever developed.

Not nearly as dirty and nasty as thunderbolts - lol. I actually like the wildcats in my Neos - thunderbolts jam up, and when they do fire, it's like a dust store !
    Sounds like a great day at the range, hope mine on Thursday is as well with the new bodyguard 380, my s&w 12-2 I picked up, and may bring my glock or sig just to round out the day
    Lol, Thunderbolts are dirty. But I love they way the smell. Crazy, I know. I think the smell just reminds me of my childhood and my first shooting experiences.

Where are you headed on Thursday? I've got the day off and was going to hit the range again myself.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here