Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: model 60

Default model 60

Looking for a carry piece, have it narrowed down to either a Ruger sp 101 357 2 inch or a s&w model 60 in the same. I want a wheel gun for sure. Any thoughts? Price for the S&W is about 120.00 more

(Wayne County)

Default Re: model 60

Get one without a hammer. That way it is one less thing to snag well drawing. IMO, you are never going to cock the hammer if you ever have to defend yourself with it so why have the temptation to cock it when you are practicing ? I like the SW 642 and the Ruger LCR.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    Get one without a hammer. That way it is one less thing to snag well drawing. IMO, you are never going to cock the hammer if you ever have to defend yourself with it so why have the temptation to cock it when you are practicing ? I like the SW 642 and the Ruger LCR.
    While this isn't bad advice, I'd say it isn't great. Also, he didn't say anything about the LCR or the 642. We're talking about slightly bigger guns. Many people carry revolvers with exposed hammers and have zero problems with them, myself included.

As far as the SP101 or the model 60? Good question. They are both great guns, the 60 is an S&W, so you can't really say anything bad about it. The SP101 is also a great gun, built like a brick shithouse. If you use all your ammo you could put it on a rope and use it as a mace.

Your best bet is getting your hands on both of them, firing them if you can. S&W and Ruger have subtle differences, like the way you open the cylinder, stuff like that.Feel them both out.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak52 View Post
    Looking for a carry piece, have it narrowed down to either a Ruger sp 101 357 2 inch or a s&w model 60 in the same. I want a wheel gun for sure. Any thoughts? Price for the S&W is about 120.00 more
    i have handled a shorty m60....and have half heartedly been looking for one since.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

There are some interesting pros and cons here, and indeed we are discussing two entirely different philosophies in revolvers. I must start by saying both the Model 60 and the SP 101 are fine defensive wheel guns, and I would bet my life on them.

With that said, let us be a bit more critical. The Smith and Wesson Model 60 is built on the J frame, and is made of forged steel. The Smith and Wesson revolvers have very tight tolerances and are indeed precision machines. The model 60 is lighter then the SP (pro or con, depending on perspective) and does have generally a smoother action. (Disclaimer, I have owned both Ruger and Smith revolver that received work by master gunsmiths, the Smiths were always smoother.)

The Ruger SP 101 is built of investment cast steel. Often times people mistake the heavier weight and thicker metal as meaning that the Ruger is stronger, it is not. The simple fact is that it is rated for .357 Mag (in certain models) as is the Model 60, period. Investment casting requires the additional material to have the strength properties of forged steel. In short, the manufacturing process is vastly different, yet produces a similar result, a .357 Mag revolver.

Smith and Wesson adopted the often despised internal locking mechanism. This is no safety system, and in no way makes your revolver safer. It is an access denial system. Kind of like cars and keys, having locks on your car door does not make it safer to use or drive, get locked out and it makes your life harder. I am adamantly opposed to the lock, and it can easily be defeated with little to no negative impact on the revolver.

The Ruger revolver is simpler then the Smith and Wesson revolver. The ruger has no screws holding the lockwork in, the extractor rod cannot unscrew and lengthen, there is no internal lock and there is no sideplate. This does not necessarily make it better, just different.

My preference, is what I carry. A model 642 usually in a pocket holster or a delocked Smith model 386 with souped up action, bobbed hammer, night sights and seven shot cylinder. But that is what I like. I have owned an SP 101, and would gladly own another Ruger revolver tomorrow.

They are different, indeed. Go shoot one of each and then buy one, or both...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Thanks, for the advice all. I will try and shoot all three mentioned. I personally like the looks of a hammer. Does the 642 come with a hammer? Been looking on internet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak52 View Post
    Thanks, for the advice all. I will try and shoot all three mentioned. I personally like the looks of a hammer. Does the 642 come with a hammer? Been looking on internet.
    The model 637 is basically a model 642 with an exposed hammer design and the model 638 is basically a model 637 with a shrouded hammer (Bodyguard) design. They are a j-frame family of sorts.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    The model 637 is basically a model 642 with an exposed hammer design and the model 638 is basically a model 637 with a shrouded hammer (Bodyguard) design. They are a j-frame family of sorts.
    ^^^^^^^^
    What he said.
    637 - Hammer
    638 - Shrouded hammer.
    642- No hammer.

All great guns, just depends on what you want. I had my heart set on a 642 and found a good price on a 637. So far the hammer hasn't bothered me. YMMV.

Edit: I'm thinking about a 3 inch Model 60. But I'd also love to get my hands on a 686... Decisions, decisions... The S&W wheelgun bug has bitten me bad. Maybe a 625? I dunno. I need to pick up some side income...
    Last edited by rwb1500; July 27th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here