Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Which instructors have the best DVDs and Books

Between (not in leiu of) training classes I think a couple DVDs and books could be valuable reference materials. Becasue of their focus on average citizen training as opposed to LE/Mil/Ninja tactics, I was (and still kinda am) sold on Gabe Suarez and Sonny Puzikas as my philosophers of choice. I have heard some uflattering things about him though, and not just personal but tactically and fundamentally as well.

My question, for those who have trained enough to know the difference, is which instructors's DVDs do you think would be the most beneficial for mindset, pistol, carbine, and possibly combatives?? I don't need to bang steel at 100yds with my $2k 1911 (although that is fun), I want instruction on how to win dirty, real world encounters.
    Last edited by Kb! Bob; July 26th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Which instructors have the best DVDs and Books

Nothing on this? Nobody has any favorites!?!?!

Would like to know the same thing.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Allegheny County)

I would suggest practicing fundamentals and items you have learned in class.

Get out and shoot some gun games, push for speed, accuracy, and get used to manipulating the gun while other shit is going on with a timer on a COF you didnt set up.

Find like minded friends and get together to shoot.

If you really want to
    I want instruction on how to win dirty, real world encounters.
    I would suggest finding a good dojo/boxing program/MMA gym/ ect and attending frequently.

learning is always good, read books, watch videos, ect. Take in a lot of sources, but remember:
    Not all information is good information
    Not all good information is useful information'
    Not all useful information pertains to YOU and YOUR LIFE
    Vet everything
    Find sites where there is a strong emphasis on these subjects
    www.m4carbine.net
    www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com

youll find some good videos on my youtube channel here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FTTVideos
    and GreyGroup here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyGroupTraining
    SouthNarc has some good stuff up
    http://www.shivworks.com/

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    My question, for those who have trained enough to know the difference, is which instructors's DVDs do you think would be the most beneficial for mindset, pistol, carbine, and possibly combatives??
    It's very difficult to capture on video the subtleties and nuances that occur in a "live" shoot house or outdoor simulator. Even those videos that arguably have very good production quality tend not to capture "the feel", "the sounds" and "the smells" as it were.

I don't need to bang steel at 100yds with my $2k 1911 (although that is fun), I want instruction on how to win dirty, real world encounters.
    That is the goal.

Not knowing "where you are", I would remind you that you must first achieve "unconscious competence" with respect to marksmanship and gun handling before you can even begin to learn and apply sound tactics.

Tactics is not a science. It is an art form. It is "acquired" rather than "learned". Tactics is essentially adapting to your environment and organizing it such that you will gain an advantage over your adversary. It is not an "if this, do that" sort of affair.

IIRC, you are about to attend your first formal training course. The best advice I can give you is don't get ahead of yourself. IOW, the first order of business is to become master of your weapon and not it's slave.

(Allegheny County)

I don't need to bang steel at 100yds with my $2k 1911 (although that is fun), I want instruction on how to win dirty, real world encounters.
    Of the two or three instructors I know that do this, I am pretty sure they teach what you are seeking, just not in an "entry level" class. There must be good reason these guys are having you bang steel plates with a pistol at 100 yards before they get you into "dirty real world encounters". I will add that the link Shawn posted are excellent, lots of guys with lots of hours with lots of instructors under their belts. Many of those guys teach from their years of experience in dirty real world encounters.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

The Book of Two Guns by Tiger McGee, dealing with the 1911 and AR-15 platforms. It has a lot of information in it, from tactics to hand to hand fighting with an AR-15.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    It's very difficult to capture on video the subtleties and nuances that occur in a "live" shoot house or outdoor simulator. Even those videos that arguably have very good production quality tend not to capture "the feel", "the sounds" and "the smells" as it were.

That is the goal.

Not knowing "where you are", I would remind you that you must first achieve "unconscious competence" with respect to marksmanship and gun handling before you can even begin to learn and apply sound tactics.

Tactics is not a science. It is an art form. It is "acquired" rather than "learned". Tactics is essentially adapting to your environment and organizing it such that you will gain an advantage over your adversary. It is not an "if this, do that" sort of affair.

IIRC, you are about to attend your first formal training course. The best advice I can give you is don't get ahead of yourself. IOW, the first order of business is to become master of your weapon and not it's slave.
    and listen to Tony.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

That is the goal.

Thanks for the input!! You are correct, I am about to attend my first formal carbine class, but I am pretty well-versed in handgun shooting. Maybe not a "master of my weapon" as of yet, but I do pretty well with the old G19!! One thing that makes me think I am ready to progress weapon-wise is that, while we can always improve, my talents liein the "intangibles" of force-on-force enounters. I was a decent boxer, played rugby in college, worked the door at several bars, and survived more than a few unpleasant physical altercations. I'm ot martial artist at all, but my situational awareness is above-averageand I hae a good knack for anticipating what is going to happen next. I think I have a fighter, never give in type spirit. Not the tough guy type though, I am quiet and observant. Given all that, a lot of the footwork, strikes, positioning, etcI see in CQB handgun classes are pretty common sense to me and I take to them easily. I am looking to expand on what I have and learn some good drills I can practice on my own time, dry fire and otherwise. Maybe years down the road I can be good enough with my carbine, but for now I want to conentrate on pistols, especially becasue I carry everyday and if something terrible happens, chances are I will only have my pistol with me.

(Allegheny County)

My question, for those who have trained enough to know the difference, is which instructors's DVDs do you think would be the most beneficial for mindset, pistol, carbine, and possibly combatives?? I don't need to bang steel at 100yds with my $2k 1911 (although that is fun), I want instruction on how to win dirty, real world encounters.
    For mind set: "Principles of Personal Defense," by Jeff Cooper. It is short, weet and to the point. There are also some very good DVD's of cooper on the matter of mind set.

For nuts-and-bolts operation of the Carbine: Jim Crews "Some of the Answer" series on carbine is very good. It comes in paper or on a DVD. It is particularly useful to go back and consult after one has had a course or two, and wants to remember how something was done.

I recommend against any tomb that goes on-and-on, wanders into areas of politics or personal phlosophy, dwells on any aspect of gear or equipment or quotes ancient masters except very sparingly. This is not a complex subject; it isn't easy, but it is not complicated. People who have a good grasp of the can generally express any of the key concepts in a few words. In the martial arts, it is the masters who never say much. It is the new guys, trying to assert their presence, who talk a lot.
    Last edited by PeteG; February 23rd, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast