Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Quality vs. Quantity

At a watercooler discussion, the question of more guns vs. one higher quality gun was raised.

One of the people there has 4 Savage rifles. Two in .243, and 2 in .30-06. He buys in redundancy once he finds a suitable gun. Another person has only one high end Rem 700 in .270. The argument was that the Rem 700 is as good as four of the Savages. It nearly costs as much.

I tend to think that for the 100 or so annual rounds per gun the Savage shooter fires during pre-hunting practice and hunting season, he is going to be fine.

The Savage guy shoots Mossy 500s (again redundant), the Rem guy shoots a Benelli.

I think that some guns are a good value, and of a quality capable of providing years if not generations of hunting. While others are damn near works of art, capable of incredible precision and reliability under the toughest of use, for a price.

Many, many analogies come to mind in this discussion, cars especially.

What is the right answer, redundant good quality guns, or one top shelf gun?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Quality vs. Quantity

Speaking as a person who owns multiples of many things (and have owned more than one of the same gun in the past), I think it is silly to stick with one thing over and over. It is like having the same meal every day...multiple times a day.

There are so many good (yet completely different) pistols in the same calibers. If you are going to buy additional guns, can't it be quality AND quantity?

How many of us own 1 gun? I'd bet very few active members. I try to get my the best guns I can afford and often make decisions based on the reliability. If the gun is known to be reliable, why do I need multiples of it? That was the conclusion I came to after owning 2 Beretta 92's. Wouldn't it be wiser to spend the money for 2 of whatever model gun on either 1 gun or accessories etc?

But who am I to say what people should and shouldn't buy? I saw a gun safe today FILLED with 1911's that were only marginally different (and I was totally jealous). To each their own.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    If the gun is known to be reliable, why do I need multiples of it? That was the conclusion I came to after owning 2 Beretta 92's. Wouldn't it be wiser to spend the money for 2 of whatever model gun on either 1 gun or accessories etc?
    A few reasons. For me it would be SHTF purposes. If you and your loved ones/friends/whoever survives the zombies hordes make it to your front door, and you are using the same weapons, we can share the same ammo, mags, accessories, etc, it would be alot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

I'd say both positions are understandable. Why not to pick both? Have one or two relatively expensive high quality guns and stock of less expensive, maybe even redundant guns for SHTF, spares, investment (if the price was really good) or else.

Just do whatever you are more comfortable with. I do a bit of both. I keep an inexpensive, unmodified AK-47 in my car and carry Glocks, but also have some nicer stuff.

If redundancy man is happy with what he's doing and quality guy is happy with what he's doing, nobody is wrong.

(Adams County)

Quality always trumps quantity with the exception only being condition of a dollar vs the number of them

I'd rather have one good quality pistol than 10 sub-par ones, but that's just me. To each their own.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

both works but i am a quantity person- my problem is i like to justify extra stuff with trying to suit if for one purpose ...

1. daily carry
    2. summer carry
    3. thrree gun and comps
    4. training
    5 wow factor

were does it end
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    The argument was that the Rem 700 is as good as four of the Savages. It nearly costs as much.
    Is one gun going to scare a government? If you leave that one gun at home and the government secures your home, how many guns will you have to repel tyranny? Etc.

(Indiana County)

It is a merger of both the gun and the person firing it. There's no easy answer.

Some people want a different gun for every different situation (including day of the week and phase of the moon). Some people function equally well with a one-size-fits-all gun.

Who's to say who's right? I don't know.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Speaking as a person who owns multiples of many things (and have owned more than one of the same gun in the past), I think it is silly to stick with one thing over and over. It is like having the same meal every day...multiple times a day.
    I take it you're not married, and if you are, your wife doesn't post on this forum.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast