Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Ruger or Sig Sauer...thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey everyone, first post so before I get into it, I would like to say this is a pretty awesome place to come and read and become educated. Seems like there are a bunch of helpful individuals to turn to when in need. So far I've been provided with a bunch of knowledge and insight into the world of carrying and firearms in general.

Now, onto what the title refers to. I'm 21 years old and I'm looking into buying my first pistol. Probably won't be for a little while longer but I'm doing my research now. The two pistols I am interested in are the Ruger SR9 and the Sig Sauer P239. Now, I've only shot and held the P239 (.40 cal) and it performed quite nicely. It felt almost perfect in my hands and I didn't have any issues with grip when firing. Comparing the two firearms listed, their specifications are very similar, leading me to believe that the SR9 would give the Sig a decent competitor. I will be on vacation to S.C this week and will be able to size up the Ruger at Bass Pro Shops.

The only thing I don't like about the Ruger is that people like to point out how their quality has been in the tanks lately. So, my questions to anyone who is willing to respond is this, are there enough issues with the Ruger (besides the recall they had and responded to) that would possibly turn you away from it and wait to get the Sig? More broadly, is there anyone out there who has experience with the SR9 that could post their thoughts or opinions?

Sorry for the book, I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ruger or Sig Sauer...thoughts? Suggestions?

First off, you have to find what feels right to you. People love Glocks and they are great weapons, but I hate they way the feel in my hand...

In my opinion, both are quality handguns. I would give the edge to the sig 239 as far as overall quality, but the Ruger is no slouch. I have shot both - my father's SR9, and my 239 .40 DAK. Between the two, I like the sig better. If you have a chance, try the DAK. It is a great feel compared to a DA/SA trigger.

I don't have any problems with Ruger's quality. As mentioned, my father's SR9 is a great gun. I have both the LCP & LCR, and I have zero complaints.

Regardless of which you choose, you are giving something up to gain something else - single stack vs. double stack, etc.

To throw another wrinkle in the process - take a close look at a Stoeger Cougar. Spend some time researching & you will find that it is the old Beretta Cougar now made by Stoeger. I have one & absolutely love it. If you are considering the Ruger SR9, it is comparable in size, although heavier. IMO - it is the best gun in the market for $400.

(Berks County)

I would go with the Sig. Always been my favorite pistols.

(Philadelphia County)

WELCOME to the forum!!!!

You will need to decide what is best for you. Only you know what gun will work for you.

As far as my view point:
    **I am a 22 year old with a Glock fetish, my views are not grand for sure!!**

The Ruger is a very good gun. While not having personal trigger time on the unit, I am only going off of what I hear. People who shoot/carry them tend to rave about them. I would think the recall issues are taken care of. Also, I hear Ruger has great customer service should an issue come up.

The Sig is a great gun. I really like Sigs(except the p250). I personally think Sig is a higher quality firearm. If you truely know for sure you want one of these two. I would go with the Sig.

However, if you find the Ruger fits what your looking for better, than thats the gun for you.

It's like car shopping. There are better cars and worse cars. But there really is no right or wrong car. If it works for you, that's all that counts.

Be safe and again, WELCOME!

(Clarion County)

Wow guys, this is the first time my first post on a forum that was taken for what it was and then received quality responses. Thanks! Ok, enough butt sniffing...

Anyways, as I said the Sig felt wonderful in my hands. I will be looking at a Ruger this week and I will be able to handle it. I personally feel it should be comparable to the sig, as I mentioned before, due to the very similar dimensions. I do have a shop near me that you can rent firearms so you can get a first hand feel for each pistol being considered. I'll be sure to stop in and see if they have an SR9 that I could try out. I've done tons of research on both of the handguns I'm considering and I will be sure to take a look at the Stoeger Cougar as well.

GlockSig, are you willing to elaborate on your post a little? Maybe as to why you may not like the way one gun feels as compared to the Sigs? I would appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

To be honest, you are compairing a Prius to a Cadilac. all else being equal as far as comfort, caliber, natural point of aim........ you are compairing something that is not on the same playing field as far as quality goes. you know your getting a High Quality firearm with a Sig vs. a standard Quality with Ruger (trying to compete with Clock, Springfield XD series, and M&Ps). you will have less of a chance of failure in a Sig, your trigger in a Sig will be smoother, frame/slide fit will be tighter, accuracy will be better. Sigs are just more of a Better Quality than Ruger. your life is worth the extra money for a Sig.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    To be honest, you are compairing a Prius to a Cadilac. all else being equal as far as comfort, caliber, natural point of aim........ you are compairing something that is not on the same playing field as far as quality goes. you know your getting a High Quality firearm with a Sig vs. a standard Quality with Ruger (trying to compete with Clock, Springfield XD series, and M&Ps). you will have less of a chance of failure in a Sig, your trigger in a Sig will be smoother, frame/slide fit will be tighter, accuracy will be better. Sigs are just more of a Better Quality than Ruger. your life is worth the extra money for a Sig.
    i understand that some people think ruger is trash around here... personally i own the sr9... i have 1500+ rounds of all types through it with no problems... i can go to the range and put a ragged hole the size of a baseball from 15 yards squeezing as fast as i can... and thats with my shooting... im sure theres alot f accuracy that i have left.... it fits my hand perfectly it shoots well and its accurate... some people may think its not up to par with other makers that cost twice as much but i think its good for the money... now i would think the .40 is going to have a slightly snappier but its also a heavier gun altogether.... ill tell ya what... if you ever venture out to the state college area shoot me an email and ill take ya out to the range.... good luck with your choice and deffinetly post up some pics when you buy one....

ps. ive only shot one sig... and it must have been a shitty trigger cuz it felt like it moved around way toooo much.... felt like an airsoft gun.... but again the only one i have shot was a bad gun... however i wont base my whole perception on one firearm..

(Clarion County)

Renegade, when you say my life is worth the extra money for the Sig, do you mean in a self defense situation? Well, I don't know that I'll carry much if at all. I've got nothing wrong with it but carrying just isn't in my plans at this point in my life. I feel that even if I do decide to buy something on the lower end spectrum, there's no reason it wouldn't fit my needs for now.

As I stated in my first post, I'm only 21 so, I'm young. There will be plenty of time in my life to acquire other firearms that are more on the level of a Cadillac, as you say. I am in no way making my decision today, tomorrow, or next week, therefore I don't feel I'm jumping the gun (no pun intended) just yet.

Please, Renegade, don't get the idea I'm attacking your input. I appreciate it really. It gives me more to think about. Thanks

(Monroe County)

Sig .. !

(Berks County)

Sig or Glock! I personally just picked up my first Sig (P229 in .40) and I couldn't be more happy. I've always been a Glock fanboy if you will but the Sig definitely shines. I still carry my Glock daily tho just because it's lighter. But on occasion I do take the Sig out for the day.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast