Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Large caliber rifle

I was given a gift of a rifle in caliber 30-338. I have little experience with rifles vs handguns. I have discovered that the ammunition is very expensive. I have neither read nor heard much about this caliber. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me. Thanks

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Large caliber rifle

What that amounts to is .338 Winchester necked down to .30 Caliber. One of the main uses for this caliber was for 1,000 yard target shooting.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Default Re: Large caliber rifle

Yeah, that's a fast shooting gun. If you are interested in getting into reloading your own ammo, there is some pretty amazing stuff you should be able to do with that thing. You should easily be able to push a .308 caliber bullet to well over 3000 feet per second. It costs a lot to start out getting into reloading, but once you do, it's addictive, and it's my opinion that you appreciate the potential of your gun more. The nice thing about that gun you have is that it is a .308 caliber, and there is an endless amount of options for bullets to try out. Bullet manufacturers like Sierra, Nosler, Barnes X, and many others have a big variety of options because the .308 is a popular caliber. 30-30, 30-O6, 300 WinMag, 300 Weatherby Mag, .308 Winchester, 300WSM, and I'm sure some others that I'm forgetting are all technically .308 caliber guns, just with different sized charges pushing them. Your gun is one of the faster ones in that caliber. I'm sure someone out there probably has more info than I do, or maybe some corrections to this info, but if you want to see some of the ballistics your gun is capable of, just do a google search on "30-338 reloading" and you'll come up with all kinds of stuff.

Somebody "gave" you that gun? That's awesome! Enjoy. What model is it?