Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to pa

Default moving to pa

Im looking to reloate for a job in the area of pottstown. I would like to know what kind of gun ranges are in the area. Does anyone also possibly know of any good places for rent for a couple just starting out?

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: moving to pa

French Creek Outfitters is located just down the road on 724 from Pottstown in Phoenixville, PA. They've got 10 slots on their indoor range, nice selection of guns and friendly help. I belong to the Lower Pottsgrove Sportsman club and do some shooting there too. Not real familiar with Pottstown, but some of it is pretty nice. Other parts should be avoided. If your working in Pottstown where will the misses be working? I'm asking as traffic around her can be a real pain, especially on 422. I live in Spring City and work in Berwyn (just below King of Prussia on 202) and it's 14 miles from my front door to work. Commute can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes depending on traffic. Yes it can get that bad around here. Spring City is nice as is Phoenixville and Royersford, King of Prussia is nice too. And if your going west on 422 in the morning traffic isn't to bad. If you've got any questions drop me a an email or pm thru PAFOA. Good luck with the move, you'll be glad you moved out of NJ. LOL

Tim
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Default Re: moving to pa

About time you move out of NJ...haha. I live in Pottstown and if you are planning on purchasing a house in Pottstown. I would suggest Northern Pottstown or Stowe area.

French Creek Outfitters is good for indoor range and rental. Just keep in mind that they seldom clean those rental pistols. I used to work there and some of those rentals are dirty.

There are a few gun clubs in the area. I belong to Elverson...I like it because I seldom see other shooters while there. The most I"ve seen is 3 other people beside myself, so it's like having your own private club.

I'd avoid the public range near Elverson...since public ranges can be dangerous (someone was killed recently at a public range).

(Berks County)

I'll agree with what they said. French Creek Outfitters is your best bet for a short drive and a nice indoor range. Their rental case is bulging a bit more now that they got a pile of Glocks to use as range guns. They have a nice blend of people, they're helpful with beginners. I go with my wife often and have taken just about everyone in my family...it's a nice range.

Dirty range guns? Hehe. Reminds me of a day I was all excited to get my hands on a Kimber they had in the case. I ended up only shooting 4 or 5 rounds it kept jamming so bad.

G.

(Chester County)

welcome to PA!
    French creek is good for an indoor place but kinda small.
    The public range is off of RT23,laurel lane I think it is.
    Kinda crapy but still a range,I guess it's a matter of opinion but I never had
    any problems there.
    good luck!

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm really excited to be moving to pa and the same time I'm starting a job with the limerick nuclear plant as an armed security officer so I couldn't be happier. I really don't rent guns since I have enough of my own, just looking for a range to shoot at, right now I go to easton fish and game and I really like it except it would be nice to have at least 200yd range. So what area should I look at places northern pottstown? My gf is also looking to possibly work at either the outlets or kop mall but if there's bad traffic I don't want to live out that way.

(Chester County)

well the Limerick area is good and that way your gf and you would both be within a decent driving distance to work.
    You surely don't want to live in the K of P area because it does get a lot of traffic
    The collegeville,royersford,phoenxville area's might be good.
    Depends how far you want to drive to work.
    One thing though..if you own a Dog good luck with renting,
    I looked for 4 months and found very few places that will accept a dog.

happy hunting

(Berks County)

Sanatoga area has a bunch of nice houses for sale at a decent price...only a couple miles from plant. My wife and I are currently home shopping and found some nice places through there. It is east of Pottstown, along 422.

Pottsgrove school district is north of Pottstown, generally speaking. I live in Upper Pottstgrove. I'm not far from the plant or the outlets, but KOP is a pain in the A to drive to during rush hour. Anything further north of Pottstown along route 100, like Gilbertsville and Boyertown, are decent spots with good prices, but I wouldn't live there if I had to commute alone 422 in either direction. There is no easy, low-traffic route to get there. Route 100 is easy, but traffic is picking up and there are too many red lights.

I personally like Douglassville and will probably end up buying there. That's a bit west of Pottstown. It adds about 5 minutes of driving to any commute along 422. Coventry has some nice quiet areas too. That's to the south of Pottstown Not far from plant and outlets, think more farms and woodlands.

Good news is, if you're buying, there are tons of houses for sale in these areas. And really, you can't go wrong with any of them. The places the other guys mentioned are all decent too. In fact, you should be able to choose exactly what you want, in the setting you want. It's a nice piece of the state we live in here. Renting, I'm not sure on, I haven't looked for a place to rent in about 8 years.

Good luck,
    G.

well i did find a unbelievably nice 3 bedroom house in Pottstown, im very happy with the place. The house is only 10 mins from my job and within walking distance to some bars and places to eat. I also have a nice private backyard and the house comes with everything i wanted including central air with all new appliances. In less than a week ill be starting the new job and moving out of NJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you will be very happy living in a free state. My wife and MIL are from NJ. I would never live in that dump of a state even if someone paid me.

Where did you end up finding the house? I live on the Northern end of Pottstown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast