Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Bulk bullets suppliers

What are some good bulk bullet suppliers?

I need to get loading for the .45ACP and would like to buy 230gr FMJ in 500 to 1000 pc quantities. Not many places locally seem to stock much reloading components other than Gander Mtn.

Also, anyone have any pet target loads for .45ACP that would work well with a Springfield Micro Compact 1911 (3" barrel)? I need to get proficient with this gun and a should be able to cut some costs by reloading my practice ammo.

Thanks!

Default Re: Bulk bullets suppliers

i THINK sportsmans warehouse keeps the rainier bullets in large quantities but I'm not 100% i have to go there in the next day or two so i'll let you know for sure then...

midway is usually fairly reasonable on shipping and coming from where you live sportsmans warehouse will cost that much if not more in gas

Try here, they have them in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...446&t=11082005

(Allegheny County)

These are both good. I bought bulk from both.
    www.grafs.com
    www.berrysmfg.com
    I've just opened my 3rd 1000rnd box of the Berry 124gr fmj 9mm and I've never had an issue with them. I bought this last box from barrymfg.com and they were very fast.

(Luzerne County)

I buy my Rainier bullets for my handguns from Cabela's. Can't beat their shipping!

(Northumberland County)

+1, only, if i have them shipped, it will be from midway, if im at cabellas, i buy them there.

last i checked, midways price w/ shipping was only about $1-2 more than cabelas price w/o shipping.that was a while ago though.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    Also, anyone have any pet target loads for .45ACP that would work well with a Springfield Micro Compact 1911 (3" barrel)? I need to get proficient with this gun and a should be able to cut some costs by reloading my practice ammo.

Thanks!
    Use a fast burning powder like Clays (not Universal Clays....just Clays), to build pressure fast in the short barrel. 3.8gr of Clays and a 230gr lead round nose is a cheap load and soft shooting.

OAL is touchy with the short guns. Load a dummy round to an OAL of 1.260. Put the dummy round in a mag and slowly ease the slide down. The round shouldn't stall on the feed ramp. If it stalls, reseat the bullet deeper. I find that the small guns tend to like OAL's between 1.240 and 1.250, but there are exceptions.

Throw away all brass with the AMERC headstamp. It will bulge at the base when you seat the bullets and cause nasty lockups.

Lycangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Somerset County)

Thanks everyone on the supplier tips! I'm probably going to stick to a plated bullet like Berry's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Use a fast burning powder like Clays (not Universal Clays....just Clays), to build pressure fast in the short barrel. 3.8gr of Clays and a 230gr lead round nose is a cheap load and soft shooting.

OAL is touchy with the short guns. Load a dummy round to an OAL of 1.260. Put the dummy round in a mag and slowly ease the slide down. The round shouldn't stall on the feed ramp. If it stalls, reseat the bullet deeper. I find that the small guns tend to like OAL's between 1.240 and 1.250, but there are exceptions.

Throw away all brass with the AMERC headstamp. It will bulge at the base when you seat the bullets and cause nasty lockups.

Lycangoodluckthrope
    Thanks for the load recommendation Lycan! Would that load work fine with a plated bullet vs the LRN (at the same weight)? Right now the only pistol powder I have is Hodgdon Titegroup, so I'll look to pick up some Clays next time I get supplies.

(Lawrence County)

I wouldn't run out and buy Clays just yet, becaue Titegroup is only a bit slower. I run 4.3gr of Titegroup under the 230gr LRN with CCI 300's and an OAL of 1.25.

Plated bullets usually take 1-2 tenths of agrain more powder to achieve the same speeds/pressure......and jacketed bullets a few more tenths. While the loads I've posted aren't maximum by any means, they do make Major power factor in my guns. So....Start a bit low, work your way up.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I've just recently started reloading .45 acp. I've been using Titegroup 4.5 gr with cci 300 primers and 230 gr fmj.

The titegroup seems to be a bit dirty but I like it so far.

Seems I may need to seat my bullets a bit deeper as I am now seating very near max oal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast