Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 308 AR with a 16 inch barrel

I apologize for not being more specific or giving more information. The velocity data is for COTS ammo, not handloaded. The original poster asked for .308 AR platform with a 16" barrel. This is all I was addressing when I mentioned the KAC EMC carbine and posted the other information.

As I mentioned, the EMC was developed as a battle rifle. It doesnt matter who uses it, although I only mentioned it to show that it had been tested and therefore is not an unknown system.

Here is a link to KevinB's post regarding the development of the SR25 EMC if anyone is interested. If not, that's fine too. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...p?f=91&t=58156

If we want to discuss .308 in various lengths and systems like the other thread, you would of course be right to point out the advantages of bolt guns and longer barrel lengths.

(Cumberland County)

I thank everyone for their replies and all the information really helped.
    I got a chance to fire the gun with supplied iron sites (not my favorite setup) at 100 yards and had some help sighting it in from a gentleman at the gun club who is a much better shooter than I am right now.

The recoil was less than expected and was actually very accurate at 100 yards for me (my scope is not here yet) irons are only good to around that range for me. I am more comfortable with optics or red dots.

Gary was giving me pointers was actually a sniper in the military and he was impressed with LMT 308 for a 16 inch barrel he was expecting something different . He let me shoot his bolt gun set up and it was a difference of night and day on the recoil, but he had it dead on . I was lucky enough to make a friend that is willing to teach me how to shoot better and I offered to let him use my brothers farm for shooting maybe once my optics arrive I can try out my 600 yard metal plate shots.

Again I thank you all for the information as it has greatly helped in my quest to break into the 308 Semi world

Thanks,
    Cybersurf
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Beaver County)

Default Your Thread is Mine!

I'm reviving this thread only to hijack it.

Recently obtained a second .308 AR lower. I already have all the parts for a 20" .308, but started considering a 16" for this one.

I kind of a turned my nose up the 16" 308 idea after my experience with the .308 Saiga, but am intrigued with revisiting it. The 16" would be for weight savings over the 20" and more weight saved than an 18".

As far as use, it would be for the range. I don't see myself jumping into hostile territory and needing a more compact and harder hitting battle rifle. Plus I'm not sure D.C. has any designated DZs.

With the pending release of the 25rd 308 PMAGs (hopefully not vaporware), a lighter weight .308 semi-auto is tempting.

I'm out of play money at this time, so I'm not in any hurry. But I do like to keep my eyes open and snag up the parts as money becomes available and just have them in case there is a drought again.

I have a Mega Arms 20" and while I haven't used it yet, the fit and finish is outstanding. I would consider the 16" as a first choice.

Anyone have thoughts, opinions, experiences that are a little more current than 2010?

I don't have an ar platform but I have a DSA FAL and Ruger Gunsite scout rifle, both with 16" bbl's. Love them both. Very handy rifles and group well at 100 yards. 2.0 MOA or so, open sights on the FAL and scope on the Ruger. Don't have a chrony so can't speak to velocity fall off.

FWIW, my M700 varminter can have 5 rounds touching at 100. It has a 22" bull barrel but is far less handier. Different tools for different jobs.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    I don't have an ar platform but I have a DSA FAL and Ruger Gunsite scout rifle, both with 16" bbl's. Love them both. Very handy rifles and group well at 100 yards. 2.0 MOA or so, open sights on the FAL and scope on the Ruger. Don't have a chrony so can't speak to velocity fall off.

FWIW, my M700 varminter can have 5 rounds touching at 100. It has a 22" bull barrel but is far less handier. Different tools for different jobs.
    What do you think of the flash from the 16"? Most likely I would run the PWS FSC on it (my favorite).

I had my hands on a DSA FAL with the 16" fluted barrel and folding stock a while back at a gun show. I ended up getting the M1A Scout Squad in the EBR stock later instead. Never shot an FAL. I would like to sometime.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123