Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I was thinking about a single shot .223 or 243? But the CZ527...

I was thinking about a single shot .223 or 243? But the CZ527 in .223 might be a better choice it looks well made and is nagazine fed bold action rather then the turnkey single action rifle. I'm leaning toward the CZ 527.

what do you guys think ?

I'm wondering is it a 6'+ Man size rifle? It looks pretty sharp.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I was thinking about a single shot .223 or 243? But the CZ527...

Depends what kind of single shot you are considering. If it is one of the high end rifles such as a C. Sharp, Shilo, or Little Sharps Rifle Co. that is one thing. Kep in mind a rifle from any of those makers is going to be a custom build. That means money. If you are talking of one of the inexpensive single shots ( nothing wrong with them) I would choose the CZ 527 hands down. it has better fit, finish, and resale. Accuracy is decent with the HEF/H&R rifles. As far as the Rossi I have only handled them; not impressed at all. I know for a fact the CZ's are extremely accurate.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Washington County)

My HR Ultra Varmint Fluted makes me very happy. Shoots any ammo. One day I was shooting wolf from 300 yards and it was hitting in a 6" to 8" group, which for wolf, was exciting to me! haha
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Depends what kind of single shot you are considering. If it is one of the high end rifles such as a C. Sharp, Shilo, or Little Sharps Rifle Co. that is one thing. Kep in mind a rifle from any of those makers is going to be a custom build. That means money. If you are talking of one of the inexpensive single shots ( nothing wrong with them) I would choose the CZ 527 hands down. it has better fit, finish, and resale. Accuracy is decent with the HEF/H&R rifles. As far as the Rossi I have only handled them; not impressed at all. I know for a fact the CZ's are extremely accurate.

Jeff

No I'm not even talking single shot Ruger which I consider high quality not to mention the classics you mentioned. I was looking at the Combo rifles from H&R and Rossi $189-$259 rifle scope combos vs. CZ 527 bolt action. If the CZ are as accurate as you say that's a done deal, I even like the way they look.

Collegesheepdog - You like your single shot and it shoots well with all type of ammo. That sounds good. But 6" at 100 yards I was hoping for better from a .223 rifle, AR 15 iron sights can do better then that. Unless you are talking standing no brace. But if you are knocking down wolfs with it you are a good shot.
    Last edited by Neko456; July 23rd, 2010 at 04:13 PM.

(Bucks County)

I am going to get flak on this but I did not even consider the Ruger #!. I have owned three of them and none of them were worth the powder to blow them to hell. As a matter of fact couple of buddies of them too. None of those Rugers shoot worth a damn either. I own my share of CZ's from a .19 Calhoon to a .416 Rigby. They all shoot very well.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    No I'm not even talking single shot Ruger which I consider high quality not to mention the classics you mentioned. I was looking at the Combo rifles from H&R and Rossi $189-$259 rifle scope combos vs. CZ 527 bolt action. If the CZ are as accurate as you say that's a done deal, I even like the way they look.

Collegesheepdog - You like your single shot and it shoots well with all type of ammo. That sounds good. But 6" at 100 yards I was hoping for better from a .223 rifle, AR 15 iron sights can do better then that. Unless you are talking standing no brace. But if you are knocking down wolfs with it you are a good shot.
    I think that sheepdog was referring to wolf ammo.

I have a H&R single shot .223. varmint rifle. It is a tack driver! I am amazed at how accurate it is for the money.

This is my CZ 527 Lux in .223. It makes a nice "walkabout" varmint rifle. The gun is a little too petite for me, but my wife really likes it. I scoped it with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X in steel CZ Rings. Pluses are the gun is made from all nicely blued steel and Walnut. No Aluminum or plastic anywhere. It has a really nice set trigger. The guns action is a "Mini Mauser" built to the proper scale for the smaller .223 cartridge. Minuses are magazines are expensive, and not too easy to find, although Midway has them. About the only other minus is the overly large front sight that isn't necessary, and the rear sight interferes with scope mounting. Overall the gun is accurate, dependable, and put together well. Bill T.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    He said 6" to 8" at 300 yards...with Wolf ammo. The cheap Russian stuff.

The CZ 527 is a fantastic gun (as is the 550 and 452). I have five 452s, four 527s, and two 550s. Prices have gone up drastically over the years, but IMO they are still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    He said 6" to 8" at 300 yards...with Wolf ammo. The cheap Russian stuff.

456 - That is a horse of a different color that is pretty darn accurate even with cheap ammo, since the CZ is so expensive that might be the way to go. i really have enough rifles (if there is such a thing) but I was looking for simple and different single action .223 or bolt action CZ.

Would the CZ be as expensive as a Rem 788 2.323?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast