Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Made a mistake while OCing today

Ok, I'm in line at the Save A Lot super market in N. Versailles and a woman behind me says loudly "IS THAT A GUN!" (Obviously trying to make a scene)

I said why yes it is and turned away. She said loudly "IF I HAD KNOWN THERE WAS SOMEONE WITH A GUN IN THIS STORE I WOULDN'T HAVE COME IN HERE". (Again trying to make a scene and probably trying to force management to ban guns...)

At this point I got upset and responded, "I have every right to carry this gun and I really don't care to hear your opinion". To which she says "I have every right to voice my opinion" and I say "I also have every right to tell you I don't want to hear your opinion." blah blah blah several stupid exchanges later...

Then the guy behind her gets into it saying "You think you are a big shot because you have that gun" (wrong of course) and I tell him that I think he is an a _ _ hole." Sorry but that is what I said.

At this point I realized that I had made a mistake by getting dragged into this argument in the first place and without saying another word to them paid for my groceries and left.

In my opinion, when we carry guns we have to go out of our way not to get provoked. That woman played me as did the guy behind her. They wanted me to look unstable and irresponsible. I should have either ignored her or at a minimum, when I realized I was upset, I should have shut up.

I will try not to make that mistake again.

We have to seriously strive to avoid conflict when doing OC or CC. It makes us all look bad when one of us behaves like I did today.
    Last edited by Tokamak; April 26th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Made a mistake while OCing today

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    Ok, I'm in line at the Save A Lot super market in N. Versailles and a woman behind me says loudly "IS THAT A GUN!" (Obviously trying to make a scene)

I said why yes it is and turned away. She said loudly "IF I HAD KNOWN THERE WAS SOMEONE WITH A GUN IN THIS STORE I WOULDN'T HAVE COME IN HERE". (Again trying to make a scene and probably trying to force management to ban guns...)

At this point I got upset and responded, "I have every right to carry this gun and I really don't care to hear your opinion". To which she says "I have every right to voice my opinion" and I say "I also have every right to tell you I don't want to hear your opinion." blah blah blah several stupid exchanges later...

Then the guy behind her gets into it saying "You think you are a big shot because you have that gun" (wrong of course) and I tell him that I think he is an a _ _ hole." Sorry but that is what I said.

At this point I realized that I had made a mistake by getting dragged into this argument in the first place and without saying another word to them paid for my groceries and left.

In my opinion, when we carry guns we have to go out of our way not to get provoked. That woman played me as did the guy behind her. They wanted me to look unstable and irresponsible. I should have either ignored her or at a minimum, when I realized I was upset, I should have shut up.

I will try not to make that mistake again.

We have to seriously strive to avoid conflict when doing OC or CC. It makes us all look bad when one of us behaves like I did today.
    Maybe. Maybe not, but it was your reaction that made you look "unstable and irresponsible".

Sounds like you realize that now.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Wayne County)

It's clearly the woman's fault in my opinion. She's the one that started the entire thing. You were minding your business. That's just a bad situation to get in all around. You've got the pacifist democrat and some guy who thinks you're trying to be John Wayne.....

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I try to avoid it all together and NOT open carry. Even though I'd like to. It's so much easier without wearing a bigger shirt and it looks sharp with a shirt tucked in. I think I"m also nervous with the fact that I'm only 22.....I may be hassled even more. Where a guy in their mid 30's -40's etc. would be less appealing.

If I heard someone utter a remark in the tone of "Is that a gun?" behind me... I would have ignored them as it would have led to a bad day.
    Last edited by SFMarine; April 26th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

(Allegheny County)

. She said loudly "IF I HAD KNOWN THERE WAS SOMEONE WITH A GUN IN THIS STORE I WOULDN'T HAVE COME IN HERE". .
    well, you could still leave

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not, but it was your reaction that made you look "unstable and irresponsible".

Sounds like you realize that now.
    You have a point. I am attributing motives without really knowing what was going on in their heads.

It was pretty obvious that they were anti-gun and trying to start trouble. They may not have thought through the part about trying to provoke me to make me look stupid.

In any case, I should have been the bigger man.

I forgot to mention that the cashier seemed very warm towards me as I was checking out and shook her head at the two behind me. She did not act like I had scared her but rather seemed to be offended by the way the two antis acted. I am pretty sure she was pro and found their behavior as offensive as I did.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    I think I"m also nervous with the fact that I'm only 22.....I may be hassled even more.

If I heard someone uttera a remark in the tone of "Is that a gun?" behind me... I would have ignored them
    I am 55 and they hassled me.

I wish I had had the wisdom to do just that and ignore them.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    well, you could still leave
    WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!

(Wayne County)

I am 55 and they hassled me.

I wish I had had the wisdom to do just that and ignore them.
    I guess my "age theory" didn't work. It's just a tough situation all around. It's YOUR RIGHT. And, of course it's her right to voice her opinion. She should have just shut her mouth.

My mother brought a friend over once and my Glock was on the table. My mother was in the other room. The friend immediately got nervous and almost jumped!....yes @ a gun that was stationary on a desk. "IS THAT A GUN?" From the tone of the situation I knew this was a bad situation. To avoid her urinating on my hard-wood floor.... I said yes, it's a water pistol lol. She was like oh ok. I flicked the polymer frame and said "see plastic" So there's an easy way of getting out of a situation. If you said that to her she may have picked up on the sarcasm but who knows.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    I guess my "age theory" didn't work. It's just a tough situation all around. It's YOUR RIGHT. And, of course it's her right to voice her opinion. She should have just shut her mouth.

My mother brought a friend over once and my Glock was on the table. My mother was in the other room. The friend immediately got nervous and almost jumped!....yes @ a gun that was stationary on a desk. "IS THAT A GUN?" From the tone of the situation I knew this was a bad situation. To avoid her urinating on my hard-wood floor.... I said yes, it's a water pistol lol. She was like oh ok. I flicked the polymer frame and said "see plastic" So there's an easy way of getting out of a situation. If you said that to her she may have picked up on the sarcasm but who knows.
    I see 2 problems with that:

1. you had a gun sitting openly on a table, which is bad enough, plus with a guest over..

2. you told her it was a water pistol. What if she took it seriously and tried to shoot it?

Sounds pretty unresponsible. Never treat or joke about them being a toy

(Allegheny County)

One thing I have learned so far is that while it is VERY difficult to be the bigger man, the best reaction to someone who is upset is anything that will DE escalate the situation. Remain calm and civil, and even if it is their fault do not politely call them an asshole. Stand your ground, but be respectful about it.

"Miss, I can see that you are upset by this however, I am an a trained, licensed citizen and am bothering nobody. If you are offended by my presence you may walk away."

(if she refuses)

"Miss, If you continue to harass me or disrupt the other people in the store I will be forced to contact the manager/security/police and have you removed for the safety of everyone present."

(and if she gets in your face)

Excuse yourself from the argument and walk away, dial the police from your cell phone and report what happened. ALWAYS be the first to call in case they try and claim you were threatening people with the gun.

When it comes down to it, she sees you as a target for her hostility over firearms. That means as long as you are next to her she will continue. Yes it is your right to be there, however, sometimes the best solution is to step away and remove the target while you document what is happening. It removes the target and gives you a buffer in case she gets physical.

BE POLITE! Above all, it is not the person yelling that you have to convince, it's the people watching. From a distance, what looks worse; Two people scream at each other? Or a crazy lady throwing a fit and making an ass of herself? She's anti, can't change that. However, the people around this situation will see a crazy lady screaming at a rational, upstanding member of society and come away thinking

1. That lady is crazy
    (a) Anti-gun people are nuts.

2. That guy handles himself well
    (a) People who carry seem to be level-headed

And that is what matters in the end.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast