Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question Super-quiet .22LR? Suburban pest control?

I was skimming through the latest CheaperThanDirt catalog a few days ago and came across a type of "super quiet" .22LR round that is supposedly propelled by the primer only and reaches a velocity of about 500 fps. I've been interested in doing some "suburban pest control" for some time now and need something quiet. If these rounds are quiet enough I'd much rather buy a box of these than purchase an air rifle.

Anyone have any experience with these? Exactly how quiet are they? Air-rifle quiet? Quiet enough for suburban use? Would they be effective against squirrels pidgeons? I'd be shooting probably no farther than 10 yards.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; October 19th, 2007 at 09:50 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Super-quiet .22LR? Suburban pest control?

Calibri ammo out of a bolt rifle is quiter then an air rifle (in my opinion).

(Franklin County)

Quieter than an air gun, eh? That's great to hear, er, rather NOT hear. *bah-dum pssh*

I think I'll order a box right now. I will be shooting this out of my dad's Anschutz .22 rifle (really really nice BTW) so hopefully I will be able to get the full velocity and noise reduction out of the ammo.

(Montgomery County)

No idea what that rifle is but as long as it's a bolt rifle you'll get the benefits from the ammo. It's very considerate of you to try and not disturb the neighbors .

(Montgomery County)

I heard a story through a friend through a friend. A dentist kept a p22 in his office and calibri ammo for stress relief. A few months later a police chief stopped by to say hi. He said he heard some funny stories from people that it looks like tree rats keep having heart attacks in his front lawn pretty regularly, if he knows anything about it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Quieter than an air gun, eh? That's great to hear, er, rather NOT hear. *bah-dum pssh*

I think I'll order a box right now. I will be shooting this out of my dad's Anschutz .22 rifle (really really nice BTW) so hopefully I will be able to get the full velocity and noise reduction out of the ammo.
    Please post your impressions.

(Philadelphia County)

Shooting in suburban areas can be illegal.

Make sure to check regulations, local, state and federal laws, as well as other suggestions, lest you break some law and not only get your firearm confistolen, a hefty fine, and maybe even some time in the slammer.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Shooting in suburban areas can be illegal.

Make sure to check regulations, local, state and federal laws, as well as other suggestions, lest you break some law and not only get your firearm confistolen, a hefty fine, and maybe even some time in the slammer.
    Yep, what he said!

I used to shoot CV caps years ago...all I heard was the bolt slamming on my 522 Viper. I haven't seen caps around for a long time, though.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Yep, what he said!

I used to shoot CV caps years ago...all I heard was the bolt slamming on my 522 Viper. I haven't seen caps around for a long time, though.
    speaking of 522 viper i have one of thoes and the mags suck!

i tried some remington subsonic ammo because i thought i read soemwhere its as quiet as a air gun. but its a lie! hahaha although it is quieter than regular velocity 22lr

(Cumberland County)

It depends on what your intended target is. Chipmunks and tree rats, Colibri rounds are fine. If you get into ground hogs, you want at least CB Long rounds. They're not as quiet as Colibri rounds, but they deliver a bit more power - they're a bit faster and heavier.

Quite a few G. hogs have dies this summer because of these...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...961&t=11082005
    ...not in my back yard though. Too much inertia yielding a high pass through rate even at 50 yards. I'm not going to risk hitting the kid playing down the block just to dump the G. hog in my back yard.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast