Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Super-quiet .22LR? Suburban pest control?

sometimes the colibris will jam in a rifle barrel. its stated on the box not to use in rifles..

(Franklin County)

I've been shooting the Super Colibri rounds for a few days now and I have to say I am impressed with them. I tried them in my Ruger Mark II and found them to be a little bit too loud for my liking. Out of my Ruger, the Colibri rounds reminds me of the sound of a 2x4 loudly smacking against concrete. While that's still much much quieter than normal .22LR, it was still too loud for me to shoot without worrying about attracting attention. That accuracy was also really bad. Next I tried my Dad's Ansheutz bolt rifle. This was a huge improvement in both volume and accuracy. Out of the rifle I thought the volume was probably close to 1/4 the volume of those little snappy things that are sold around the 4th of July that make a popping noise when you throw them against the ground. At roughly 10 yards, while sitting on top of the washing machine with no rest, accuracy was right about minute of beer can and easily penetrated both sides. I haven't taken anything with the Colibri's yet, but I look forward to ruining the day of the fat-ass tyrannical squirrels that always ravage the bird feeder during the winter months. I just hope the neighbor's nasty-ass cat doesn't come over into the yard and accidentally get into the line of fire and become mistaken for a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    I've been shooting the Super Colibri rounds for a few days now and I have to say I am impressed with them. I tried them in my Ruger Mark II and found them to be a little bit too loud for my liking. Out of my Ruger, the Colibri rounds reminds me of the sound of a 2x4 loudly smacking against concrete. While that's still much much quieter than normal .22LR, it was still too loud for me to shoot without worrying about attracting attention. That accuracy was also really bad. Next I tried my Dad's Ansheutz bolt rifle. This was a huge improvement in both volume and accuracy. Out of the rifle I thought the volume was probably close to 1/4 the volume of those little snappy things that are sold around the 4th of July that make a popping noise when you throw them against the ground. At roughly 10 yards, while sitting on top of the washing machine with no rest, accuracy was right about minute of beer can and easily penetrated both sides. I haven't taken anything with the Colibri's yet, but I look forward to ruining the day of the fat-ass tyrannical squirrels that always ravage the bird feeder during the winter months. I just hope the neighbor's nasty-ass cat doesn't come over into the yard and accidentally get into the line of fire and become mistaken for a squirrel.
    be careful while using rifles, they tend to get lodged. it happened to me a few times, i just loaded another round and shot it through. but if you forget one is lodged and put a 22lr through it that may damage the gun.. they are fun though....

Wal-Mart sells CCI CB caps which are awesome and sound about like a pellet gun. They look a lot like a .22 short. Only drawback is they will not cycle a semi-auto.They should be handled as carefully as any ammo! Hope this helps.

Exclamation Re: Super-quiet .22LR? Suburban pest control?

After trying and failing with several types of subsonic ammunition for .22lr in my Walther PPS, i was wondering if a fake suppressor could help by adding barrel length? Has anyone tried this approach?

all ammo is equally loud when fired from such a short barrel. its a nightmare for urban plinking. I guess i need to go buy a ruger 10/22?!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpiv View Post
    After trying and failing with several types of subsonic ammunition for .22lr in my Walther PPS, i was wondering if a fake suppressor could help by adding barrel length? Has anyone tried this approach?

all ammo is equally loud when fired from such a short barrel. its a nightmare for urban plinking. I guess i need to go buy a ruger 10/22?!
    The difference will be unnoticeable at handgun lengths. The fake suppressor may even be counter productive by keeping pressure behind the bullet and pushing it over the sound barrier thus creating the sonic crack.

see my PM about an alternative.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I've got three words for you: six foot blowgun

I haven't been there in twenty+ years, but I'll bet if you look at a tree in front of the steps of one of the Bachelor Officer's Quarters at Ft. Knox, you'll find a wire dart sticking out of the trunk. I couldn't pull it out with pliers...
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I've got three words for you: six foot blowgun

I haven't been there in twenty+ years, but I'll bet if you look at a tree in front of the steps of one of the Bachelor Officer's Quarters at Ft. Knox, you'll find a wire dart sticking out of the trunk. I couldn't pull it out with pliers...

I have three words two.

Illegal in Pennsylvaina. (to kill wildlife)
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

It depends on what kind of pest you are refering too. Wildlife is covered by title 34, It is illegal to shoot out of season unless you meet some requirements. You can PM me and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Butler County)

I've shot the CB shorts out of a rifle in my basement and no one upstairs heard a thing. Hint: Don't stick the barrel out the window for anyone to see.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast