Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default I think this is the next gun on my short list! Para Warthog!!

http://www.parahawg.com/pistols.html#WHX1045R

Gotta be the brushed stainless finish for concealed carry! I need to get one in my hands to make sure it fits first. But I really like the looks of it. 10+1 .45acp is a big plus also!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Pike County)

Default Re: I think this is the next gun on my short list! Para Warthog!!

that is nice ,,especially the 10 + 1 .45 ,,

(Erie County)

I enjoy shooting my full size 1911. I also had a Colt Double Eagle which is a double action about the size of an Officer's model. Going from a 5 inch barrel down to a 3.5 made it far less comfortable to shoot. Not sure I'd want to put enough rounds through one to feel comfortable using it for CCW. But hey that is just one opinion. If it fits and you like it don't pay any attention to me, I wouldn't

(Centre County)

man i hope you got bigass hand. gripping them is like gripping a brick.

in this Para ordnance forum i belong to - is reporting alot of issues with Warthog...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

a buddy has the new para with the LDA trigger, its awesome.. check out one of those

(Bedford County)

I got my hands on the Warthog at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh 2004, the gun was brand new at the time.

There were a lot of folks standing around the Para booth, so I strolled up for a look.

The warthog feels as wide as it is long. It balanced decent, because there isnt much to balance. It wasnt heavy, but it felt way too thick. The short slide made it seem worse than it was. Not only was the frame too thick, but there wasnt enough room for your pinky finger without the magazine extension which I didnt care for.

The recoil spring was super stiff so the little gun would not beat itself to death. I'm sure the gun I had in my hand was brand new, but it took a bunch of force to unlock the barrel and rack the slide.

I shot a few rounds through the warthogs older brother...the P10. The new Warthog didnt seem to be much of an improvement to me. All in all, i wasnt that impressed and I moved on.

Not long after that, there were hundreds of people on the net complaining about the reliability of this gun. Nothing new, 3" 1911's from all makers are known to be less reliable than their 4" and 5" daddy. Still, Para should have worked the bugs out before releasing another short barrel 1911 that didnt work.

Add to all of this the fact that Para's spray on "royal finish" was known to wear off quickly...I was glad I never looked into buying one.

Now then,

The gun has been out for a while now, and I'm sure improvements were made. I would get it in stainless and avoid the royal finish. I would also try to shoot one before I put down my cash. You might really like the gun, I guess there are people that do. I like the Slim hawg design better. You give up a few rounds for a slimmer, better feeling gun IMHO.

Not bashing the Warthog or Para...they make some good guns. Just a few things to think about before you buy. Get one in your hands, odds are you will know right away if the gun is for you based on feel alone.

Good luck.

(Westmoreland County)

I do have big hands and I know about the mini 1911 problems...but i agree, I'd like to fondle one before i decide!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bedford County)

Another thing to think about is the lack of custom parts. It's pretty much gonna end up the way it came from the factory, so don't have the idea to change things out you don't care for like you can with other 1911's.

The beavertail is super short and the mainspring housing is chopped down. Most of the internal springs are cut down to fit the small grip frame. The grips will only fit the Warthog and the P10 which both came with black rubber. The magazines, trigger and magazine release are usually only found for the Para and no customs are avail that I know of.

Also keep in mind that 3" 1911's need a recoil spring change at or around 3,000 rounds. Some people will even tell you around 1,500.