Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .22 target/training gun - best buy??

I've been craving a nice, accurate, mid or full-size .22 for target shooting, so i can go nuts at the range and hone my general shooting skills. what's the minimum amount of gun i should buy? should i get a base ruger, or get a high-end ruger with a bull barrel, or something like that, or should i get a more contemporary design (often cheaper). i don't know too much about this category. all suggestions advice welcome.

obviously i'm not looking to be an olympic pistol shooter, and am not looking to spend $1K. looking for a range between $200 used to $800 new or used.

(i'm forcing myself to buy one of these before i go in the opposite direction and get a .45. right now for handguns i have a 9mm, a .38, and a .380)

Default Re: .22 target/training gun - best buy??

Ruger MkII (or MkIII) w/ 5.5" bull barrel. Accurate, dependable, and most of all, fun.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    I've been craving a nice, accurate, mid or full-size .22 for target shooting, so i can go nuts at the range and hone my general shooting skills. what's the minimum amount of gun i should buy? should i get a base ruger, or get a high-end ruger with a bull barrel, or something like that, or should i get a more contemporary design (often cheaper). i don't know too much about this category. all suggestions advice welcome.

obviously i'm not looking to be an olympic pistol shooter, and am not looking to spend $1K. looking for a range between $200 used to $800 new or used.

(i'm forcing myself to buy one of these before i go in the opposite direction and get a .45. right now for handguns i have a 9mm, a .38, and a .380)
    Any Ruger will serve you well. From the base model MkIII up to the Stainless SlabSide target model and everything inbetween. I'm partial, because I have a MKIII and started shooting a MKII very young. They are excellent pistols, extremely accurate right out of the box, and built like tanks. They are a little difficult to take down the first couple times, but you'll get the hang of it. Just like any new firearm the first couple times may take a few looks at the manual.

I looked long and hard for the right .22 pistol. I really, really wanted a Walther P22 or a Sig Misquito. I'm very, very glad I didn't get either. They both have a spotty track record, but they look effing cool. That was a big deciding factor for me, silly as it sounds. One day I just pulled the trigger on a brand new MKIII target model with a 5.5 inch bull barrel and adjustable sights. Walked out $400 lighter. Best money I've ever spent. The gun will shoot anything, from the cheapest, dirtiest .22 ammo you can find right up to the super pricey target stuff. It's damn accurate, I was amazed by what it could do right out of the box. The target models come with sight rail included, not sure about the standard models.

For the money you couldn't get a better plinker.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

What he said above.....And before anyone chimes in with HiStandard this or Model 41 that....the guy wants to spend a LITTLE bit of money. The Ruger fits the bill perfectly.
    Jules

(Chester County)

Ruger MKIII 22/45
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

Would a used Browning Buckmark Camper be reasonable? I enjoyed them. Ruger MKIII is a great choice also.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    Would a used Browning Buckmark Camper be reasonable? I enjoyed them. Ruger MKIII is a great choice also.
    The Buckmark is also a good choice. Something I failed to mention above about the Rugers is that there is a gigantic aftermarket parts supply for them. You can buy a basic gun and upgrade the hell out of it. Look at Volquartson. (sp?) Amazing parts.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

The Ruger and the Browning Buckmark are good mid priced Guns that will outlive you if you treat them right, on the lower end but not bottom is the Berreta NEOS, an excellent gun based on the old Colt Woodsman, very modern and very reliable, i own them all and i enjoy them all.

The Ruger MIII is my favorite , built like a Tank and razor sharp as far as accuracy is concerned.

Nyman

(Lancaster County)

I got a Ruger MKII 22/45 with bull barrel, it has the weight of a full sized pistol, I think they run $300-400.
    Shot a Browning Buckmark, very nice, don't know what they go for.
    And shot one of those new GSG Colt 1911 style pistols, seemed well made and had some weight to it, the only down side with these is it comes with one mag and extra mags are like $30-35 each.

(Armstrong County)

I love my Buckmark. Esp with the TacSol Trail-Lite barrel and Sparrow. Oh so lite and oh so quiet.

Ive seen a few Campers for less than $300 the last couple months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast