Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast

Default Re: Maybe We Can Help Each Other... Affordable Lawn Care / Handyman Services

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

You know, in the 4-5 years I've been doing this I've realized that the only way to sling a stone is for the blade to come in contact with it. The mower won't just suck them up.
    Do you mean to tell me, that big stone I kept hitting every time I cut the lawn but could not remove was not placed there by God to sharpen my bade?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Maybe We Can Help Each Other... Affordable Lawn Care / Handyman Services

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Nice looking machine !

Hopefully it'll cut at least as well as the other one.

Well so far, so good. The 30" TimeMaster has surpassed my expectations as a mulching mower and absolutely gets the job done much faster than when using a 21" mower. (and is nearly as easy to use)

I haven't used it on wet grass yet, so I will reserve final judgement, but so far, it has me impressed. If it turns out to be a big asset, I'll consider upgrading to the commercial version down the road.

On the job last week...

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Still pushing a mower? That's cute. You do know they make the kind where you just sit, push a pedal while sipping coffee

Seriously, obviously won't do a nice a job on wet grass but instead of raking use the blower to disperse the clumps.

What blades you using?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Still pushing a mower? That's cute. You do know they make the kind where you just sit, push a pedal while sipping coffee

Seriously, obviously won't do a nice a job on wet grass but instead of raking use the blower to disperse the clumps.

What blades you using?
    What's a "rake"?

You'd be surprised about mowing wet grass. The 21" Super Recycler does really well actually.(but not for bagging - it clogs badly)

The myth that you can't cut wet grass was started by someone who had the luxury of waiting for it to dry.
    The lawn show above is one I try to do when dry, but others cut fine when wet - it all depends on the type of lawn/equipment being used/blah blah blah.

I don't think there are aftermarket blades for these 30" units at this time.
    You can use the commercial version (TurfMaster) blades on the TimeMaster - they are supposed to have better lift. (the "fins" have a steeper angle)
    I have a 50% off offer on blades from my dealer and plan on getting a set to try.

The 30" mower can't do everything the 36" walk behind can do, but it has it's uses. The Ferris cost five grand - the Toro cost just under a grand. The Toro will never last as long, but it's a decent alternative for someone who mows medium to large lawns who wants to save some time doing it, and without the financial investment of commercial "wide area" mowers.

(Philadelphia County)

Do you dry the mower after cutting wet grass? I would be afraid of having rust form.

Which reminds me of the time when my sister used my mower and decided it needed a good cleaning because she cut wet grass. Out came the hose and she soaked the mower. Then she raked my lawn, which I never do.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    Do you dry the mower after cutting wet grass? I would be afraid of having rust form.

Which reminds me of the time when my sister used my mower and decided it needed a good cleaning because she cut wet grass. Out came the hose and she soaked the mower. Then she raked my lawn, which I never do.
    LOL! They get drenched if it's raining and they're being towed around on the trailer. They dry on their own.

Before I got into this my personal mower never saw rain. If I had it outside and it started to sprinkle, I'd rush it into the garage like it was going to be "ruined" by a little water.
    Now when I come home, I flip it on it's side, scrape off the excess grass, and blast the rest off with a hose. Flip it upright and blast the rest of it off. It's not going to hurt it. Better to get all that crap off of it. Debris buildup can HOLD moisture where a clean mower will air dry fairly quickly.

My 21" Toros have aluminum decks, so no rust there. Speaking of - it's a LOT easier to clean the grass off after the paint has worn off the underside of the deck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LOL! They get drenched if it's raining and they're being towed around on the trailer. They dry on their own.

Before I got into this my personal mower never saw rain. If I had it outside and it started to sprinkle, I'd rush it into the garage like it was going to be "ruined" by a little water.
    Now when I come home, I flip it on it's side, scrape off the excess grass, and blast the rest off with a hose. Flip it upright and blast the rest of it off. It's not going to hurt it. Better to get all that crap off of it. Debris buildup can HOLD moisture where a clean mower will air dry fairly quickly.

My 21" Toros have aluminum decks, so no rust there. Speaking of - it's a LOT easier to clean the grass off after the paint has worn off the underside of the deck.

But I am referring to my $99 push mower! Cheap metal and paint job, not to mention water getting in the wheels and bearings.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Maybe We Can Help Each Other... Affordable Lawn Care / Pittsburgh East

At $50 per 4 hours, I could be interested in your services for mowing & weed-eating my yard. I'm in west Pittsburgh. If you are interested, PM me.

Note:
    My yard takes nowhere near 4 hours, but I'd take you on doing it every week or every other week to use that time, all summer long.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Maybe We Can Help Each Other... Affordable Lawn Care / Pittsburgh East

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    At $50 per 4 hours, I could be interested in your services for mowing & weed-eating my yard. I'm in west Pittsburgh. If you are interested, PM me.

Note:
    My yard takes nowhere near 4 hours, but I'd take you on doing it every week or every other week to use that time, all summer long.
    Oh, the flyer in the OP? Hmmm... could have sworn I posted an update noting that those prices were from when I had just started and didn't know any better. I quickly learned that I'd be living under a bridge in no time at all at those rates.

Back then I was sort of doing anything that people needed done and I took a stab at an hourly rate to charge, but I've since switched to doing only lawn care. Jobs are now priced individually and at a rate much more in line with where they should be while still being fair.

I'm sorry I won't be able to help - not even so much because the rates noted are outdated, but I actually only work in the east, and at the moment my schedule is so full I can only take on new clients in very specific areas that are on existing routes.

Thank you for your interest and please accept my apologies for not having made clear in the original post that those rates are no longer in effect!
    I'll have to edit the post to clarify.

(Allegheny County)

Hey E.M., glad you are doing well, and with all that work I bet it's keeping you young (but sore). Looking forward to seeing you at the range. If you ever need a hand with chainsaw work I can help you out. I'm not working right now, took an exit package deal from my company but holding my own so far financially.

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast