Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Forum/Subforum: Recall Notices

I'd like to propose a new forum/sub-forum for Recall Notices related to firearms/ammo/etc. I think this is important because each of those recall notices impacts our fellow shooters in potentially life-altering ways (and not for the better, unfortunately). By having a separate forum/subforum for these notices, it consolidates them into one place that is easy to find without digging through other forums or having to wonder about where to put them. It's worth noting that this (sub)forum wouldn't get much traffic or have much activity, but every thread posted could make a huge difference for our fellow shooters.

My preference, obviously, is for a top-level forum, but if it doesn't fit into the scheme, a subforum under something other than the Lounge would work, too. I'm happy to toss around suggestions if the mods/admin want more feedback on this. Otherwise, I'll leave it to the Powers That Be to decide.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New Forum/Subforum: Recall Notices

I know I am a new member but I second FNG19'S idea. I think it could be very helpfull and it would fit in this forum well if it isn't abused.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Philadelphia County)

I like the idea, but I know some people browse only a few forums that interest them and don't use the "New Posts" link either. Posting a pistol recall in the Pistols section or a rifle recall in the Rifles section, and so on, may reach the audience more effectively. If a sub-forum is created and a new recall is posted there, it may be helpful to have it cross-posted in the corresponding forum (without being deleted as duplicates).

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I like the idea, but I know some people browse only a few forums that interest them and don't use the "New Posts" link either.
    That's part of the beauty of this, actually. Folks who don't use New Posts and only read a few forums can easily add this forum to the list of stuff they read. The folks who use New Posts will see it, too. If someone won't use New Posts and won't specifically visit a low-traffic, high information value forum serving as a central source for this information -- as close to the proverbial silver platter as you can get, IMHO -- well, I'm not convinced they're all that interested in finding out about the recalls.

I'm not indicting anyone's usage habits. People do what works for them given their priorities. All I'm suggesting is that if they know there's a forum for Recalls and refuse to take 30 seconds to see if there's a new post there, there's not much we can do to help them.

(Delaware County)

I think if it is a full fledged forum people will be able to see a new post easily as they browse down to forums they usually read.

Theadbump to generate more discussion. Any thoughts from mods/admin on it?

(Franklin County)

While I can't make a decision on implementation, from both a Staff and user standpoint, there are a couple things I think would be desirable.

*Only permit "official" recall notices released by manufacturers. Someone who knows a handful of people who have all had the same problem with a particular model of firearm would not qualify. A link to the *official* recall notice should be included. This should not include new articles. Only information directly from the originating source.

*Upon posting, thread should be locked immediately. Ideally, the person initiating the post would then report their own post so that a Staff member could verify it and lock it.

*To potentially increase visibility, the locked thread should be copied to the related sub-forum as well (rifles, handguns, etc.), and perhaps be stickied there for some fixed period of time. IMO, this would bring immediate attention to the most likely affected users, but still retain a dedicated "archive" (the proposed new forum/sub-forum) of all noted recalls, so looking back over time would be a much simpler matter, and not require searching multiple forums.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    While I can't make a decision on implementation, from both a Staff and user standpoint, there are a couple things I think would be desirable.

*Only permit "official" recall notices released by manufacturers. Someone who knows a handful of people who have all had the same problem with a particular model of firearm would not qualify. A link to the *official* recall notice should be included. This should not include new articles. Only information directly from the originating source.

*Upon posting, thread should be locked immediately. Ideally, the person initiating the post would then report their own post so that a Staff member could verify it and lock it.

*To potentially increase visibility, the locked thread should be copied to the related sub-forum as well (rifles, handguns, etc.), and perhaps be stickied there for some fixed period of time. IMO, this would bring immediate attention to the most likely affected users, but still retain a dedicated "archive" (the proposed new forum/sub-forum) of all noted recalls, so looking back over time would be a much simpler matter, and not require searching multiple forums.
    I think your idea on this would work well and not let the new forum get out of hand. I suggest ammo be included also.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    *Only permit "official" recall notices released by manufacturers.
    100% agreed on this, as well as with the proviso that it include a link to the manufacturer's announcement. That's the only way we can be sure it's an official recall.

*Upon posting, thread should be locked immediately.
    I can see the utility of this.

*To potentially increase visibility, the locked thread should be copied to the related sub-forum as well (rifles, handguns, etc.), and perhaps be stickied there for some fixed period of time.
    Would discussion of the recall be deemed off-topic, then, in the related sub-forum, then? I think there's some value in discussing it, but I'm fine with the concept of someone starting a new thread to discuss their experience getting the issue resolved, the timelines/hassle involved, whatever. Those threads tend to be pretty short-lived (see, for example, the Beretta Neos recall).

IMO, this would bring immediate attention to the most likely affected users, but still retain a dedicated "archive" (the proposed new forum/sub-forum) of all noted recalls, so looking back over time would be a much simpler matter, and not require searching multiple forums.
    Agreed, and that's the point, really. Not only does it make it easier to find, it sort of accumulates them into a historical archive. If I'm looking to buy a used gun, I can check that forum as a starting point in my research to see if there's anything else I should inquire about. It's a starting point, but a valuable one.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Would discussion of the recall be deemed off-topic, then, in the related sub-forum, then?
    I suppose not. I guess I don't see the point of a third thread being needed for discussion. Discussion in the related sub-forum seems to be a reasonable option, with the dedicated forum remaining "pure" for research/archival purposes, etc.

The threads could be cross linked to each other as well, so folks could easily track down the discussion if they wanted to. This too would make an older discussion much easier to find without searching. Of course, a bright user might know that the titles would be identical, which should simplify the search process.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast