Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Talking Re: Is .38 Special Enough For Self Defense?

anyone have the S&W 442? I hopefully getting one this week. Have not had a wheel gun in years.
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Is .38 Special Enough For Self Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by 96D View Post
    anyone have the S&W 442? I hopefully getting one this week. Have not had a wheel gun in years.
    My dad has two of them that he loves. I've shot them, it's a really nice wheelgun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    One instructor we know says that if it doesn't hang off the wing of an aircraft or isn't launched from the deck of a ship, don't count on it having much stopping power.
    I will go along with that as far as a firearm firing a single projectile is concerned.

However, I am certain you can persuade any goon to give up the fight with a single blast to the chest from a 12 gauge. Seems to sap their enthusiasm in a big hurry.

As far as a .38 special is concerned, I think it's a good round for most folks because it is easy to shoot well and most punks that take a couple rounds to the torso with it are going to go down from the shock/realization that they have lost the upper hand in the situation, as "theSaj" pointed out earlier.

(Northampton County)

If you do your part and put the bullet where it needs to go, it is enough for self defense.

(Clearfield County)

Funny no one has mentioned the noise factor of a full house 357 fired in a snubbie,,,in a defense situation you are not going to put in ear plugs.And you can bet your hearing will be affected really bad. In that case I dont need that problem, I will stick with 38s in my snubbie.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by the lone gunman View Post
    Funny no one has mentioned the noise factor of a full house 357 fired in a snubbie,,,in a defense situation you are not going to put in ear plugs.And you can bet your hearing will be affected really bad. In that case I dont need that problem, I will stick with 38s in my snubbie.
    I shoot a braked 7STW hunting and I never hear it on the kill shot.

Lycanithinkyouwon'tthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

.38 is fine for self defense. And to the person who said 9mm wasn't enough for self defense (should you ever encounter him again) ask him why so many LEO use it as their staple. Now, I remember 9mm as being the LEO staple for a long time, but it may have been "replaced" with .40S&W but I am not 100% sure, haven't really been keeping up on that :P

9mm will kill someone just as well as .40 or .45, shot placement and follow up shots are the most important thing (IMO and I am sure not JUST my opinion). If you hit someone with a 9mm bullet in a vital area they are going to go down unless then are wearing body armor (even then its going to knock the crap out of them). When that happens, you get a backup 7.62x25mm Tokarev pistol such as the TT33 or CZ52. Punch right through that Kevlar :P

E: Also, stopping power is a stupid concept. I refuse to acknowledge its reasoning, I will only acknowledge that the term exists.

Thumbs up Re: Is .38 Special Enough For Self Defense?

SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    I had this discussion with a friend who has a lot more experience than I do. His statement was, "If they're worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap, life is expensive". That conversation led to being able to control the weapon and bringing it back to POA for a followup shot and being able to put the bullet where you want it. In short, it's all about placement.
    But suppose there's two of the bad guys, both armed? When you're plugging the first guy with the second round, the other guy's pulling his trigger.

That scenario is why I've convinced myself to carry a large caliber. I'd rather have 5 large caliber rounds than 8 small. I might not have the luxury of taking second shots on a thug.

Just my opinion, newbie at that.
    Last edited by tobor; July 12th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by tobor View Post
    But suppose there's two of the bad guys, both armed? When you're plugging the first guy with the second, the other guy's pulling his trigger.

That scenario is why I've convinced myself to carry a large caliber. I'd rather have 5 large caliber rounds than 8 small. I might not have the luxury of taking second shots on a thug.

Just my opinion, newbie at that.
    I believe you have to consider something else, and that is the amount of time it takes to recover and get a second shot off with a large caliber. TonyF could probably offer a lot of advice on that subject.

I would be interested in a .38 "pocket pistol" if I could find one that would actually fit in my pocket. I am always interested in this type of thread; gives me a chance to consider another toy and do some research.

Thing is most of the .38's I can find are either as big or even bigger than my Glock 27 and I do not consider the 27 to be a pocket pistol. At least not in the summer.

I carry whatever I can for the way I am dressed. I do not "dress around my gun".

I have had several conversations with people who carry. It seems funny when I ask them where their pistol is and they say "out in the truck". If it's too big to carry it is not a carry gun.

Can anyone tell me what the smallest .38 revolver is? I like the idea of a wheel gun.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast