Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Travelling to OH - your input is requested

So, starting tomorrow morning, I am hitting the road, Ohio-bound for a party. I'll be there for the whole weekend and will be coming home Sunday night. I don't feel comfortable leaving my piece at home, but OH does not have reciprocity with PA despite me being able to legally OC (as far as I have read).

Is there a way for me to transport the weapon into and out of OH for the duration of my trip, legally?
    Junior

Default Re: Travelling to OH - your input is requested

I would think that since guns aren't banned in ohio you could have it with you where ever you are staying but IANAL and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night

1. There are no licenses or other garbage to merely HAVE a firearm, nor any "registry that's not a registry".
    2. Transport IAW with FOPA when in a vehicle and you'll be fine.
    3. If you don't have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or recognized equivalent, you may not have a loaded gun, OR loaded magazines or speed loaders in a car. You may NEVER have loaded long gun magazines in a car, CHL or not.
    4. Open carry is lawful everywhere in Ohio. Like PA, we have preemption, without any exceptions, like Philly. You may be hassled depending upon where you are, but it's illegal and actionable to do so. Avoid using an IWB or flap holster for open carrying if you don't have a CHL.
    Last edited by Deanimator; July 21st, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]If you don't have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or recognized equivalent, you may not have a loaded gun, OR loaded magazines or speed loaders in a car. You may NEVER have loaded long gun magazines in a car, CHL or not.
    Damn! So anyone who even DOES have a CHL is not allowed to be prepared to protect themselves when they are in their vehicle?

"Hang on, Mr. Carjacker - let me put some rounds into my magazine so that I can defend myself..."
    Junior

(Bucks County)

Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post[*]If you don't have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or recognized equivalent, you may not have a loaded gun, OR loaded magazines or speed loaders in a car. You may NEVER have loaded long gun magazines in a car, CHL or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Damn! So anyone who even DOES have a CHL is not allowed to be prepared to protect themselves when they are in their vehicle?

"Hang on, Mr. Carjacker - let me put some rounds into my magazine so that I can defend myself..."

Thinking maybe you read the quote incorrectly?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    that is not what he said. he said if you do *not* have a CHL (or other recognized license/permit--like from UT), you cannot have a loaded pistol in your car (and that, like PA, even if you do have one, you cannot have a loaded *long gun* in your car).

you can CC a pistol in a car in OH if you have an OH CHL or a license from a state with which OH has reciprocity.
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    1. Transport IAW with FOPA when in a vehicle and you'll be fine.
    How does "going to a party" become covered under FOPA? Maybe I'm missing something but you probably can't take your gun with you. I would do some more research before you possibly endanger your entire future.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    How does "going to a party" become covered under FOPA? Maybe I'm missing something but you probably can't take your gun with you. I would do some more research before you possibly endanger your entire future.
    J, you're scarin' me here. You're startin' to sound like one of us sensible old farts!

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    If you have the gun in the car, in the way that FOPA specifies, you will have no trouble driving to OR through Ohio, no matter how long you stay or what you do (alcohol consumption and CPZs not withstanding). The laws are actually not as stringent, but FOPA is a good rule of thumb.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Ohio does have a strange law that having a loaded magazine or speedloader anywhere in the vehicle "loads" the gun. Evan though I have a Florida license which is recognized in Ohio, I left my gun at my brother's place last visit -- their list of where you can't carry even with a license made it pretty pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast