Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Prospective New Gun Owner

Hi everyone,

Been observing the forum for a little while now, said I'd make my first post. Moved here from Ireland some time ago, and getting married soon. Interested in purchasing a firearm for home protection following our marriage this Fall. It's a little hard to find clear legal information, so could someone tell me if there's a legal prohibition on non-US citizens/permanent residents owing firearms? Bearing in mind I'm here legally on a student visa. Otherwise, I assume my wife could purchase the firearm?

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate any help.

Default Re: Prospective New Gun Owner

Of course your wife can purchase a firearm, provided she hasn't had any serious legal charges against her. Do a search on the forum for an exact listing of prohibiting offenses. I do believe there are provisions for someone not yet a citizen to purchase as well, but I wouldn't take my word for it. Others with much better understanding of this will come along soon and answer that definatively. But I am sure your wife can buy one.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lancaster County)

I'm fairly certain that a permanent resident can purchase a firearm. I think there are some requirements like not leaving the country for at least 6 months prior. I have friends who are permanent residents and haven't had any trouble.

(Montgomery County)

Student visa does not constitute permanent residency. You will need to wait until you get your green card.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by edogg View Post
    Student visa does not constitute permanent residency. You will need to wait until you get your green card.
    Pretty much this, with exceptions.

If you get a hunting license you can purchase a firearm. I don't know the ins and outs of that, but I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

You need to be a legal resident.
    You'll need to take to the store;

Alien registration card (green card).
    PA State ID/drivers license.
    3 current and consecutive monthly utility bills to prove residency in PA.
    Take the originals, a store will copy them and give you the originals back. 1 store seemed determined that they had to have copies of a mortgage/rent bill but everyone else went with utility bills and PICS were fine with that. I always take both just in case.

PICS will contact INS and check when you last entered/exited the country.
    If you have entered in the last 90 days then you'll have to wait in order to be considered as a PA State resident.

I've been through it a bunch of times and once the first time was cleared through PICS it got quicker to process. They always have to call back to the store as they have to contact INS to verify your immigration status etc. The last time it took PICS 10 minutes to call back, no big deal.

Also FWIW, judging by a thread I had been watching my LTCF was also within the usual time frame that my county seem to process applications in (under the state 45 day maximum), I needed to provide the same documentation to them as I would if buying a firearm at a store.
    Last edited by Chip W; July 21st, 2010 at 07:04 PM.