Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of getting a new Piece...

Hey yall, I have a few questions about getting a new pistol...

I have an old S&W 6906 in 9mm Parabellum, tried and true by old NYPD Detectives back in the 70's, its had its use (very extensive use), sent a rapist to the gates of hell and probably has had 1000+ rounds put through it. I feel it is time for a reliable upgrade.

I know that its a very broad sweep but a balance of accuracy and stopping power w/ a decent ammo cap is what I am looking for, and also something that fits right in bigger hands (Before grips). I am open to different calibers and makes, maybe if yall can provide your favorite pistol and why? Note that this is more for a backup firearm/Urban SHTF than for like target or competion shooting.

Thanks for any suggestions guys! Hopefully I cleared this up enough lol

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Thinking of getting a new Piece...

Springfield Armory XD or XDM. Or a Glock, or a S&W M&P. Or an FNP.
    Or maybe an S&W .500 with a 2.5 inch barrel.

Hell, I thought this thread was gonna be about a piece of pizza. I was gonna say pepperoni.
    Last edited by rwb1500; July 20th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Butler County)

Bought a XDM 9mm 3.8 about a month ago. Have put 200 rds thu it with no problems. Like it more everytime I shoot it. Comes with 2 mags, owb holster, mag holster, mag loader, cable lock and case. Also has 3 different size back grip straps. I have small hands, changed to the smaller strap and it feels great. Would highly recommend. 19 rd mags are great.

Pepperoni and mushroom on my slice
    Last edited by DonM55; July 20th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

(Chester County)

Question.... I thought handguns were illegal in NYC?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Question.... I thought handguns were illegal in NYC?
    Derrr, I missed that detail. Aren't they at least strongly, strongly discouraged?

What's the legality OP? And if you can legally own a handgun how many hoops do you have to jump through?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Hell, I thought this thread was gonna be about a piece of pizza. I was gonna say pepperoni.
    I was wondering why a thread about a new Piece of tail was in the pistol section. Then I read it.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Montgomery County)

The model 6906 is not from the 1970's. not even close. In fact, the 6906 was not introduced until late 1988, and saw great popularity in the early 1990's. The tales you heard about said piece were also most likely quite tall.

1000+ rounds through a gun of that age would be considered cherry. I have about 4000 rounds through my 8 month old Smith and Wesson revolver!

If you do not like your 6906, by all means trade or sell her off. However, the "modern" equivalents are not much more utilitarian or advanced then the 6906. In short, you will find no special abilities of the newer pistols then your current 6906.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Lol I usually get italian sausage and green peppers on my slice (Dominos)

Getting a pistol liscense in NYC is one of the hardest things to do in the state, but I do have it, Pistols are legal but you have to register each one to the liscene and then w/ the feds and the NYPD...i.e. big Pain in the ass

I have heard alot of good things about the Springfield Armory XD, maybe I can it out at a range

And Steve the 6906 was my uncles old on-duty gun when he was a NYPD Detective, I just assumed it had always been, I guess I was wrong so thanks for clearing that up...

Anywho, has anyone used a G31, the NJPD uses it, is it any good, they say its chambered in .357, I assume .357 SIG? and not .357 magnum?

(Centre County)

The G31 is a .357 SIG, a .357 Mag would not feed very good as it is a rimmed case. The .357 SIG is a rimless case like the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP.

1000 (or even 2000) rounds isn't very many at all, it's barely broken in. When shooting competition (PPC) I would put upwards to 1500 rounds a week through my gun.

If you do look to sell it, advertise it here first, there are probably more than a few people (me being one of them) that would be interested. For me it would make a good companion to my 5906.

DOMINOS, what??? You live in NYC and the best you can get is DOMINOS!!! Come on now (Unless the Dominos you speak of is your local corner mom and pop Italian eatery).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    The G31 is a .357 SIG, a .357 Mag would not feed very good as it is a rimmed case. The .357 SIG is a rimless case like the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP.

1000 (or even 2000) rounds isn't very many at all, it's barely broken in. When shooting competition (PPC) I would put upwards to 1500 rounds a week through my gun.

If you do look to sell it, advertise it here first, there are probably more than a few people (me being one of them) that would be interested. For me it would make a good companion to my 5906.

DOMINOS, what??? You live in NYC and the best you can get is DOMINOS!!! Come on now (Unless the Dominos you speak of is your local corner mom and pop Italian eatery).
    So .357 SIG isn't really any good?
    I know that many rounds isn't alot but I def need something new
    I'll have to see about selling it (review the bylaws about selling out of state and who I need to alert and what not)

And I like dominos b/c theyre fast but in the Bronx we have a bunch of Mom and Pop joints that are really good...but...they dont put bacon on the pizza =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast