Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Dressed up Mini-14

It's time for the semi-annual check-up/clean-up/re-lube routine for my long guns - so I figured it would be a good time to take and post some pictures. The first one is a Ruger Mini-14 Stainless model in .223. This one has been "modified" with a Choate stock, muzzle break/flash disperser, an inexpensive Eurolux 4x bullet drop compensating, side mount scope and an Eagle Ent. 36 round polymer, see through, constant tension spring magazine. With all the extras, 2" groups are the norm for this piece. Not a tack driver, but certainly "good enough" for plinking, fun shooting and serious close in (less than 150 yard) tactical purposes. This piece is utterly reliable (only problems have been with Wolf polymer coated rounds) and everyone that has shot it has enjoyed the experience. Total cost of gun and accessories is around $525. I bought the basic gun, new, about 8 years ago for just under $400.
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/87...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/87...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Dressed up Mini-14

How do you like the Choate stock? I have been thinking of getting one for the mini, I have one on an M1 carbine and it was a tight fit, had to do a bit of adjusting.

(Northampton County)

I think the Choate stock had a lot to do with the improvement in accuracy which I experienced. Yes, it is a tight fit, which is good - less wiggle room for the receiver to move around from shot to shot. The stock is lighter than the factory wood and very durable. The hand grip is probably one of the best features as it provides a more steady grip, at least for me. The hand grip and the fore stock have very aggresive checkering molded in and provide a non-slip grip. The rubber recoil pad on the butt adds just a little bit of extra reach and helps lock the stock into the shoulder. It is well worth the money if you want to improve the performance of your Mini-14. The muzzle break was probably the biggest contributor to accuracy - from what I've read recently, one of the factors affecting Mini accuracy is barrel harmonics because of the thin taper barrel. The new Target Mini has a barrel harmonic dampener - I think the muzzle break has a similar affect. It is not there just "for nice" it does work.

(Pike County)

Thanks 32, I may give one a try. I was not sure if the one for my carbine was unusual, as I had bought it used at a show for $20. Other than a pim on flash suppressor my mini is a stock 183 series that I got about 20 some years ago for $200. It kinda takes a back seat to the AR's now days, but it was a great comfort one morning with a problem with three armed trespassers.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    ... It kinda takes a back seat to the AR's now days, but it was a great comfort one morning with a problem with three armed trespassers.
    I know what you mean...I once experienced a situation where it was the double barrel 12 ga. I was holding vs the .38 revolver the badguy had in his waist band - the 12 gauge trumped the .38 very handily and the three perps. left the premises without any further problems. The Mini-14 is a much underrated home/farm/ranch defense weapon - 3 or 4 MOA accuracy is totally sufficient for close encounters, and the .223 round is sufficiently well known to make the potential receiver think twice. What's the old axiom about taking a hand gun to a gunfight?

OOOO where did you buy that Magazine?!