Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Going out of state and want to make sure I'll be legal

I'm going on a trip to Georgia in the next few days and I want to make sure that I'll be fine on my drive down.

I checked out various gun law websites and so far I have the following information:

* Maryland- No guns, but as long as I stay on the interstate and don't stop I'm fine
    * West Virginia- I'm fine
    * Virginia- I'm fine
    * North Carolina- I'm fine
    * South Carolina- Doesn't recognize my LCTF, but if I don't stop in that state I should be fine. From my reading of the law I should be able to carry it in my glove box or console. The law reads:

a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    It seems to indicate that anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry in that manner, but I'm not sure if it means legally own a firearm [in South Carolina] or if it means anyone who can legally own one. Does anyone have any information in that regard?

* Georgia- I'm fine

My final destination is Georgia, and from what I can tell I can carry concealed in Georgia just fine with my PA LTCF. Does anyone have any information that would suggest otherwise?

Default Re: Going out of state and want to make sure I'll be legal

Depending on your final destination in Georgia,you may look at bypassing North and South Carolina and travel through Maryland into Virginia and then into Tennessee and then into Georgia. Interstate 81 in Virginia,Then onto I 40 into Tennessee,then I 24 from Tennessee into Georgia.This bypasses the I 95 corridor with fewer large cities and less traffic congestion. In knoxville it is posssible to travel on I 75 to Chattanooga and then travel into Georgia on I 24 from there.
    Last edited by backj2; July 20th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    * Maryland- No guns, but as long as I stay on the interstate and don't stop I'm fine
    ...AND as long as your firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container. See the Firearm Owners Protection Act below.

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Philadelphia County)

I always advise to check the laws for each state you're passing through, including those that honor your permit, regarding:

1. Must you inform the police that you are carrying?

2. Are there magazine capacity restrictions?

3. Are there ammunition type restrictions?

4. Since you may stop for food, can you carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

As for the final destination, the primary concerns beside reciprocity is the list of where you are prohibited from carrying and OC laws (for accidentally revealing your gun purposes if you don't OC).

Al

your PA LTCF is good here...we recently revamped our laws for the better

OC is legal with your permit as is CC is doent matter if you OC on accident....
    here is a new FAQ from www.GeorgiaCarry.org

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/geor...ked-questions/

you can carry and drink with your meal now(bars are ok with with owner permission)https://etax.dor.ga.gov/BusTax_Alcohol.aspx

you can use that site/\ to see if its a truly a bar where you're gonna visit there are very few bars in GA fwiw

Govt building are off limits if they house a govt entity(but all building in parks are legal to carry in) then jail/prison, nuclear power plants and church and polling locations are off limits.
    Last edited by rmodel65; July 20th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    your PA LTCF is good here...we recently revamped our laws for the better

OC is legal with your permit as is CC is doent matter if you CC on accident....
    here is a new FAQ from www.GeorgiaCarry.org
    Thanks! That site was most helpful. The only thing that caught me off guard was that I couldn't carry in a church.

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    Thanks! That site was most helpful. The only thing that caught me off guard was that I couldn't carry in a church.

well GCO is suing right now you can check out the home page and see the brief if so inclined...i carry at church fwiw...but im exempt but id carry even if i wasnt(you're arent military are you?? if so then the laws for off limits places in GA dont apply to you OCGA 16-11-130.3)

Be careful about carrying at any stops in NC. They have one of the worst lists (maybe the worst, outside of IL and WI) of places where you can't carry --even worse than Ohio. And "must inform officer." A good resource is www.handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Be careful about carrying at any stops in NC. They have one of the worst lists (maybe the worst, outside of IL and WI) of places where you can't carry --even worse than Ohio. And "must inform officer." A good resource is www.handgunlaw.us

some of those places only are off limits if you're CC....for instance i know bank carry is legal only if OC