Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Man arrested for lying on the form when purchasing firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    hey can't buy because now the crime makes you prohibited. And still others who plead out to crimes that were felonies when committed and are now no longer felonies. The State Police turn you down in all of those cases. They don't care if it no longer is a crime. They don't care if it is no longer a Felony. And they don't care if it was not a felony at the time. It works both ways against the buyer.

When I was rejected I was shocked that it happened. I wrote them and asked why. I could not believe it. It took thousands of dollars and several years for my lawyer (Phil Kline) to clear it up.

So when I hear of someone being turned down the first thing I think of was he must have been caught spiting on the sidewalk in his teens.
    The State Police wanted to have it both ways, in your case. In my opinion, this is an example that shows that current guns laws were used to control/restrict the number of guns, and controlling/restrict who got them, beyond who was prohibited, and not about preserving, and protecting the 'RKBA', and not about protecting society from crime, as some propose. It has the effect of creating expensive legal battles, which are an effective form of gun control by themselves, because during that time you can't buy firearms from an FFL, and a lot of people will not challenge it. It is sad that it took years to exercise a right. I'm happy you eventually persevered. Although, it sounds like it took a lot of money which could of been spent on buying guns, and other stuff. The government should be forced to compensate those whom it has wrongly denied for all expenses. Still, there are other stories that are not quite as merry. I think its important to show examples of what can happen that we all can see, rather than go on about certain political philosophies that may be lost on some.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; July 24th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Man arrested for lying on the form when purchasing firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    So when I hear of someone being turned down the first thing I think of was he must have been caught spiting on the sidewalk in his teens.
    It still happens today. To those that want people locked up for these minor incidents, that is not the answer. The answer is to get rid of these petty laws on the books and/or reduce sentencing guidelines to avoid prison time when necessary. Pennsylvania has in the past and is currently leading all states with putting people in prison. It is a troubling statistic. Our courts, rather our entire state judicial and corrections system is far behind the times in coming up with programs to avoid prison sentences, drop the labeling, and offer rehabilitation to those that are likely to succeed with it. It will bite us taxpayers in the ass in the near future as our state continues to intake persons into our corrections systems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123