Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Re: Man arrested for lying on the form when purchasing firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    But, we all know that in certain instances, with special training for state level DAs federal charges can be brought against lawbreakers. Wasn't that the basis for state/federal partnerships under Project Exile years ago? Those who violated GCA '68 would be arrested and tried by state authorities then do the time in federal stir.

Or is ignoring the enforcement of law now vogue?
    You are missing the point. They did not get the Bad guns. Guns are Bad. The people were victims of trying to buy the Bad Guns.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What I find sad, is that a person can be barred from the purchase of a legal firearm in this country. Hopefully there are a percentage here who agree with me on this.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Because the PSP can't levy federal charges, and they're either to lazy to involve the feds, or the feds aren't interested in prosecuting?*

*Just a guess.
    Sounds about right, the Feds pick and choose their fights.

Case in point: locally, about five years ago two business partners get into an argument that results in one pulling out an illegal SBS (short barrel shotgun) shot and killed the other guy. He got like three years and NO charge for the illegal SBS! So much for the 10yrs in jail/10k fine for illegal NFA.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Two attempts in two months...that guy must be mentally defective or something....
    Both times at French Creek Outfitters too. You'd think he'd at least try a different store

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    What I find sad, is that a person can be barred from the purchase of a legal firearm in this country. Hopefully there are a percentage here who agree with me on this.
    There are sympathizers to this view, of varying extent, especially for some of the more mundane reasons one would be prohibited from purchasing firearms, at least as talked about on this forum. Remember the Federal, and/or State licensing of importers, manufacturers, dealers, the NICS/PICS background check, State Police Form/'Record of Sale' for pistol purchases, and Form 4473 are all forms of gun control. The chief goal of any gun control strategy is to cut down on the number of guns legally owned, and the number of people who can legally own them in society. This is done by controlling importation, distribution, and by prohibiting whole categories, and classes of people. This is also true for licensing to carry, which is another form of gun control. Of course, the prohibiting of some categories of people are more meritorious than for some other categories of people. I'm sure examples of this will come to mind to forum readers.

People who profess support for the right to keep and bear arms, and also support current gun control strategies usually do so for practical reasons, rather than principled reasons. One of the more common arguments given is that all current laws/gun control need to be enforced in order not to lose 'our' right to keep, and bear arms.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; July 23rd, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Error

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    There are sympathizers to this view, of varying extent, especially for some of the more mundane reasons one would be prohibited from purchasing firearms, at least as talked about on this forum. Remember the Federal, and/or State licensing of importers, manufacturers, dealers, the NICS/PICS background check, State Police Form/'Record of Sale' for pistol purchases, and Form 4473 are all forms of gun control. The chief goal of any gun control strategy is to cut down on the number of guns legally owned, and the number of people who can legally own them in society is to control importation, distribution, and by prohibiting whole categories, and classes of people. This is also true for licensing to carry, which is another form of gun control. Of course, the prohibiting of some categories of people are more meritorious than for some other categories of people. I'm sure examples of this will come to mind to forum readers.

People who profess support for the right to keep and bear arms, and also support current gun control strategies usually do so for practical reasons, rather than principled reasons. One of the more common arguments given is that all current laws/gun control need to be enforced in order not to lose 'our' right to keep, and bear arms.
    While I understand your position, I don't agree that everyone should be in possession of a firearm. I work very hard to live my life by a certain moral code, and that code has allowed me to be clear of alot of problems, both with laws I agree and disagree with. Although I recognize that the system is flawed, and sometimes to the point of hurting innocent people, this is one that I agree with. Everytime someone uses a firearm for the wrong reason, it hurts all of us. I can't ascribe to the theory that people xommitted should have fiirearms, nor do I ascribe to the theory that felons should have firearms, but those are my personal beliefs.

However, in this case, he lied on a form that, whether right or wrong, we all have to fill out to purchase a firearm, and every time something like this happens, it gives the anti's some other BS statistic to stand on to limit our rights. I see this person as a threat o our rights, not a person I should emathize with.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Because the PSP can't levy federal charges, and they're either to lazy to involve the feds, or the feds aren't interested in prosecuting?*

*Just a guess.
    yeah, normally on something as minor as that the Feds will just kick it back to the state...only time they will normally grab it and run with it if its someone they want(bigger fish caught on a minor charge) that gets caught up in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    While I understand your position, I don't agree that everyone should be in possession of a firearm. I work very hard to live my life by a certain moral code, and that code has allowed me to be clear of alot of problems, both with laws I agree and disagree with. Although I recognize that the system is flawed, and sometimes to the point of hurting innocent people, this is one that I agree with. Everytime someone uses a firearm for the wrong reason, it hurts all of us. I can't ascribe to the theory that people xommitted should have fiirearms, nor do I ascribe to the theory that felons should have firearms, but those are my personal beliefs.

However, in this case, he lied on a form that, whether right or wrong, we all have to fill out to purchase a firearm, and every time something like this happens, it gives the anti's some other BS statistic to stand on to limit our rights. I see this person as a threat o our rights, not a person I should emathize with.
    I didn't take a position in my writing in this thread either to this particular case, or to the issue in general. I attempted to answer the persons question, and post as how I understand this position taken by some. I think it does show why RKBA supporters do support, to the complete baffling of some other RKBA supporters, controlling the number of firearms, and curbing, and controlling a substantial number of people who could otherwise own them, as a flood of guns in our society can be seen as a threat to our rights. Also, the need to keep guns away from undesirable people is seen as important to some. Our rights are thus saved by enforcing current gun laws is the crux of the argument. How strongly you believe in the RKBA, the role of government, and political leanings will influence what you believe on this topic. If you think I over simplified this position please post.

This is how I understand the position, and I respect it, but that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. Assuming that it is actually an effective view, that is in preserving the 'RKBA',and stopping crime (this can be debated) I think it is more practical, than it is principled, at least for my taste. That doesn't make it wrong, as that is an opinion, it just shows a difference of political views, and opinions.

There are other persuasive arguments on this topic, especially on the imprisonment of dangerous offenders, and why it is important for society to have a lot of guns.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; July 23rd, 2010 at 07:39 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    I didn't take a position in my writing in this thread either to this particular case, or to the issue in general. I attempted to answer the persons question, and post as how I understand this position taken by some. I think it does show why RKBA supporters would support controlling the number of firearms, and curbing, and controlling a substantial number of people who could otherwise own them, as a flood of guns in our society can be seen as a threat to our rights. Our rights are thus saved by enforcing current gun laws. I respect your position.
    Sorry, clicked the wrong quote button

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Montgomery County)

How many times do we hear of people who are arrested and are offered plea deals? How many of those times was the person innocent but could not afford a lawyer? This forum is full of reports of police abuse or DA abuse. Once someone is arrested for anything the DA is faced with thinking of his Conviction Rate. If he drops the charges it goes against his conviction rate and could be used against him come election time. He needs to find something to convict the person of. And the innocent person being too poor to afford a lawyer and wanting desperately to have all this go away is all too willing to plea to anything that will make it go away.

I know people who can't buy a gun because of felony convictions of crimes that are not crimes anymore. And others who plead out to crimes that had a max of 30 days at the time. Only to find that years later the max was upped to 1 year. They can't buy because now the crime makes you prohibited. And still others who plead out to crimes that were felonies when committed and are now no longer felonies. The State Police turn you down in all of those cases. They don't care if it no longer is a crime. They don't care if it is no longer a Felony. And they don't care if it was not a felony at the time. It works both ways against the buyer.

When I was rejected I was shocked that it happened. I wrote them and asked why. I could not believe it. It took thousands of dollars and several years for my lawyer (Phil Kline) to clear it up.

So when I hear of someone being turned down the first thing I think of was he must have been caught spiting on the sidewalk in his teens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast