Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Anyone have any first-hand experience with GSG5-P or PK?

Subject line sez it all; was wondering if good/bad/indifferent. They look like uber-cool novelty acts, but waaay pricey for the role.
    Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone have any first-hand experience with GSG5-P or PK?

My buddy had one far awhile (he's a member here so maybe he will chime in) but sold it because I think he got bored of it. I thought it was a fun plinker. It did have some feeding issues from time to time. Its picky with ammo, but federal bulk pack was nearly 100% reliable. Also one time the trigger locked up and the gun completely stopped working, until we took it apart and cleaned it out, and it started working again. The stock sights are horrible.

Shop around for a good price. Tanners sport center bought a few hundred of them a couple months ago and was selling them for about $375. I don't know if they still have any left or not. In my opinion, I would rather spend the money on a 10/22 and modify it to suit my needs/wants.

(Berks County)

The PK is pretty much worthless IMHO. Too bulky for a handgun and too short for a rifle. You're better off spending the same amount on the rifle version and then modding it out. I love my GSG-5 and only have a rail w/ red/green dot and collapsable stock. Eventually I will "trick" it out more. Oh and the best purchase for it...4 extra factory 22 round cap. magazines.
    Last edited by Munky; July 20th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    The P & PK are pretty much worthless IMHO. Too bulky for a handgun and too short for a rifle . . .

+1. Unless you have the muscular development to hold an ungainly 6 or 8 lb "pistol" steadily at arms' length, then you will quickly resort to shooting a GSG-5P "from the hip." Nothing wrong with developing instinctive hip shooting skills; you might be surprised at how well you do shoot from the hip with a little practice. However, you can shoot a regular GSG-5 Carbine from the hip, and you have the option of steady shooting from the shoulder.

I consider "AK Pistols" in the same group -- interesting "toys" for those that have the $$$ to waste on them, nothing more.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks all for the wisdom, observations, and hopefully more first-hand accts as to which is the better choice...

I looked at both of these and after some - quick - thoughts I figured I can't live life any more unless I have one (or both).

So logic be damned, they look like fun.

Which is as yins have observed; useless fun ammo wasters. Much like the Freedom Arms mini-revolver I have that can't hit the inside of a fridge as I stand there staring at the orange juice - but still fun. Same for the many assorted semi-auto blasters that we shoot these days.

Now where to find a GSG-5P or -5PK that is affordable in West PA...??

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Munky View Post
    The PK is pretty much worthless IMHO. Too bulky for a handgun and too short for a rifle. You're better off spending the same amount on the rifle version and then modding it out. I love my GSG-5 and only have a rail w/ red/green dot and collapsable stock. Eventually I will "trick" it out more. Oh and the best purchase for it...4 extra factory 22 round cap. magazines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    +1. Unless you have the muscular development to hold an ungainly 6 or 8 lb "pistol" steadily at arms' length, then you will quickly resort to shooting a GSG-5P "from the hip." Nothing wrong with developing instinctive hip shooting skills; you might be surprised at how well you do shoot from the hip with a little practice. However, you can shoot a regular GSG-5 Carbine from the hip, and you have the option of steady shooting from the shoulder.

I consider "AK Pistols" in the same group -- interesting "toys" for those that have the $$$ to waste on them, nothing more.

Noah
    It's a toy, just like any "pistoled" version of any rifle (AK, SIG556, AR15, etc.), but I think the GSG-5K is the best of them. I actually like mine A LOT. Why? I can't pull the trigger as fast on my AR or SIG556 pistol with proper control. The GSG-5K allows for me to empty an entire mag to the sound of "a machine" gun. It's an exhilarating experience each time I do it. New shooters especially love doing it too. I love the short look. What I really want is another one, so I can go Rambo with both hands at the same time.

More than that, it's an affordable MP5 clone so you can learn how to use an MP5, if you are into learning how to operate various guns. This is the only practical aspect of that gun. Otherwise, it's just a dang fun toy to own.

Al

(Armstrong County)

I love my PK. It goes the to range every time. I just have to make sure my girlfriend doesnt go every time or i dont get to shoot it.

I bought it for the sole purpose of an SBR and suppressor, and it does not disappoint.
    The can is always on it. It took a little experimenting to find what ammo it liked. But now that i know, Feb bulk and CCI std vel feed like candy.......quiet candy.

One thing though, the can adds a good bit more junk back into the action, cutting down shooting to cleaning time in half. Prob every 500rds or so. Thats fine with me, its worth it.
    Mags get dirty/sticky shooting with the can too.

nfafan, you are more than welcome to try mine out if you want.

Nate

I just sold my GSG5 Rifle. It was fun, relatively reliable and pretty accurate for what it is. But I already had a AMT 25/22 (Ruger 10/22 clone), a Walther G22 and recently got a Sig 522; all of which I like better. And the final bad point to the GSG5 for me was that it is a pain in the ass to clean regardless of the version you are looking at. The Sig 522 beats it in every way and looks just as tacti-cool.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I love my PK. It goes the to range every time. I just have to make sure my girlfriend doesnt go every time or i dont get to shoot it.

I bought it for the sole purpose of an SBR and suppressor, and it does not disappoint.
    The can is always on it. It took a little experimenting to find what ammo it liked. But now that i know, Feb bulk and CCI std vel feed like candy.......quiet candy.

One thing though, the can adds a good bit more junk back into the action, cutting down shooting to cleaning time in half. Prob every 500rds or so. Thats fine with me, its worth it.
    Mags get dirty/sticky shooting with the can too.

nfafan, you are more than welcome to try mine out if you want.

Nate
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This would be extremely cool. Could we see a pic of that?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    I just sold my GSG5 Rifle. It was fun, relatively reliable and pretty accurate for what it is. But I already had a AMT 25/22 (Ruger 10/22 clone), a Walther G22 and recently got a Sig 522; all of which I like better. And the final bad point to the GSG5 for me was that it is a pain in the ass to clean regardless of the version you are looking at. The Sig 522 beats it in every way and looks just as tacti-cool.
    True that.

Have had a SIG522 since they hit the dealers in West PA; the gold standard of .22-mag-fed EBRs.
    In fact, since starting this thread been debating whether or not the better choice in .22LR "tacticool" pistols would be the SIG522 pistol version. All the SIG522 goodness, but it is a tad big as opposed to the 5PK.

Just got a used GSG5 carbine; wicked looking and a ton of fun but I can see where the German over-engineering occurred - as opposed to any Western Hemisphere semi-auto .22's. The Umarex disease.

OTOH, ya'd think that between GSG and Umarex - they'd figure a way to stuff their portable .22 guts into a STG44/22. Or G36, or AUG, or FAMAS, or L85, or Tavor, or FNC, or Sterling, or STEn, or an aluminum-framed FAL/22, BAR/22, FG42/22, and so on.

Anyway, keep the cards and letters coming as to which is the better way to waste a brick of .22 at the range; the 5P or 5PK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast