Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Harrington and Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by srb25 View Post
    I still need some help dating this Richardson and Harrington .32.

Do I need to try and gather any more data or does anyone have any ideas on how I might find out when it was manufactured?
    There is no way to narrow H&R's down to an exact year before 1940. All that you can do is find out the exact model, then compare your serial number to the span of years it was produced.

If yours is the one below, the it would be in the span of years in bold. 21880 is in the 1897-1898 range. However book-keeping of serial number back then can vary a little, and receivers made and stamped in 1898 could have been in stock a year or two after the end of "official" date ranges and could have been actually completed as a whole firearm a year or two after.

H&R PREMER FIRST MODEL SMALL FRAME TOP BREAK
    (BLACK POWDER)-------1895-1904
    Small fame double action top break revolver with double top post barrel latch; calibers and cylinder capacity, 22 rimfire-7 rounds, 32 centerfire-5 rounds; Free wheeling cylinder (no automatic cylinder stop); standard finish Nickel with case harden hammer and barrel latch; standard barrel length 3 inches, with 4, 5 and 6 inches available as optional; features a scaled down version of the new frame and double action mechanism introduced in 1890 on the Auto-Ejecting Second Model, does not have caliber marking on left
    NO CALIBER MARKINGS ON LEFT SIDE OF BARREL MANUFACTURED FOR BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE PRESSURES
    First Variation, patent dates 10-4-87, 5-14-89, 2-23-92, serial number range 01*-15,000 (estimate)--------------------------1895-April 1896
    Second Variation, patent dates 10-4-87, 5-14-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-96, serial number range 15,000*-20,000* (estimate)------------May 1896
    Third Variation, patent dates 10-4-87, 4-2-95, 4-7-96, serial number range 20,000* to 100,000* (estimate)---------------------1897-1898
    Fourth Variation, automatic cylinder stop same patent dates as 3rd variation several different serial number series that may have letter codes---1899-1903
    Fifth Variation use different font in barrel markings and may have an A letter code in the serial number---------------------------------1904 -only
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$75 Add 10% premium for blue finish; 20% premium 4”, 5” or 6” barrel; 20% premium for 22 rimfire caliber
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by srb25 View Post
    Hi:
    It is a 32 cal. with the following markings:

Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, Mass. (on one line)
    Patented Aug. 6, 1889 Oct. 8, 1895 (2nd line)
    Both lines are on the top barrel rib.

Left side of barrel: Auto-Ejecting 32 Smith & Wesson CTGE.
    Markings indicate that it is an AUTOMATIC EJECTING 3RD MODEL SECOND VARIATION, this model/variation was made between circa 1909 and 1912.

The number 21880 on the butt.
    The number 880 on the 6-shot cylinder.
    6 shot cylinder, indicates "AUTO EJECTING" Model - small frame PREMIERS were 5 shot in .32 S&W or 7 shot in .22lr. The Serial number for this variation should have six digits. The last three digits of the serial number are stamped into the rear face of the cylinder and also on one arm of the star extractor. Full serial number will be found stamped under the top strap and can only be seen by removing the cylinder. To remove the cylinder: open the action, hold up the cylinder retaining latch while turning the cylinder counter clock wise and pulling up and off of the arbor. These guns were hand fitted and stamped with serial number/assembly numbers so that the parts could be properly assembled after final finish.

Nickel finish.
    Standard. Approx. 10% were blued - increases value to collectors.
    Appears to have black plastic grips with a circle that has a square with a target inside with 5 shots through the target (have not removed grips to check for serial #).
    The grip panels are made of Black Hard (aka Vulcanized) Rubber. That grip logo was patented in 1890. Serial number may be, also, stamped on the left side of lower strut of the grip frame.

Another forum I briefly read said that if the left side of the barrel has the model name and caliber that the manufacture date will be after 1905 and that it will not use black powder(is this true?).
    H&R changed metallurgy and beefed up the structure of this and all of their other models beginning in 1904 - making them capable of handling smokeless/Nitro powders. When this change was made, they began stamping the cartridge chamberings on the left side of the barrel, to indicate the change. These/your gun was made to handle both black powder and smokeless powder.

It also stated that the serial #s were either 2 or 6 digits and this one has 5.
    Serial numbers on the 2nd/smokeless models run up over 500,000. I have several late 3rd Models made in the late 1930's with s/n's in this range

Might it be a Top-Break?
    Yes, Top-Break, hinged frame, break-over are all terms used to describe this type of revolver - which tips "forward" to unload and load.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim Hauff, H&R Collector and Contributing Editor for H&R Firearms to "THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" by Steve Fjestad
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; August 9th, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE=Ronnies111;1278992
    My Dad bought this H&R 22 LR/ 9 shot... 3 month's before I was born & I'm 54 well the 26th of this month. This was the relvover I grew up with & it's more important than any firearm in my life It is also one the most accurate 22's I have ever shot![/QUOTE]

Please provide serial number for dating and is this a swing-out or pull pin/solid frame revolver? Model will be either the 929 or 922. Manufacture, from grip panel color should be mid 1950's.
    Jim Hauff, H&R Collector

Jim:

Thanks for all the help!
    I really appreciate your quick response and detailed information!

-Sue

(Northampton County)

Sue,
    You're welcome - glad to help. Thank YOU for thanking.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12