Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Ruger LCR in .357 Mag

Got my new Blue Press issue today. Back inside cover is Ruger's ad announcing the LCR is now chambered in .357 Mag. I might have to check this one out. The idea of a 357 pocket gun interests me. But a S&W airweight J frame makes me cringe, but everyone says the LCR has less felt recoil with that rubber grip.

Now to see when they are shipping them.

Default Re: Ruger LCR in .357 Mag

I have an LCR, and it isn't fun to shoot. I can't imagine what the .357 will be like.

(Franklin County)

Interesting. I have heard the LCR is not bad. I know when I push +p ammo out the 642, I dont want to shoot very many rounds. It stings.

(Wayne County)

I wish they'd make a LCR in 327 mag that holds 6 rounds. I'd buy one in a second. What is the holdup ? They have other guns in 327 mag.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    Interesting. I have heard the LCR is not bad. I know when I push +p ammo out the 642, I dont want to shoot very many rounds. It stings.
    Yup. +P out of my 637 isn't exactly plesant. I can't imagine shooting .357 out of a revolver that light. Little J frames bang hard, but in .357? Ouchie. Would be a nice little power pack though, geez.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    Got my new Blue Press issue today. Back inside cover is Ruger's ad announcing the LCR is now chambered in .357 Mag. I might have to check this one out. The idea of a 357 pocket gun interests me. But a S&W airweight J frame makes me cringe, but everyone says the LCR has less felt recoil with that rubber grip.

Now to see when they are shipping them.
    I haven't fired a LCR but a general rule of thumb is the lighter a gun, the more felt recoil. Grips only lessen than but it's not a selling point. A LCR in .357 would probably not be much fun.
    I'd just like to note that these guns are made light for comfort of carry. It is not beneficial in any way when actually firing the gun, in fact it's an inherent disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyAR View Post
    I wish they'd make a LCR in 327 mag that holds 6 rounds. I'd buy one in a second. What is the holdup ? They have other guns in 327 mag.
    They're probably waiting to see if .327 mag will pick up. It's a great round, but it's simply not popular enough to start chambering a dozen models in.
    Last edited by jcabin; July 19th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I
    They're probably waiting to see if .327 mag will pick up. It's a great round, but it's simply not popular enough to start chambering a dozen models in.
    Any info on the .327 mag? I've seen it out and about but know virtually nothing about it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Philadelphia County)

I have an LCR too. While shooting it isnt horrible, your wrists know it when you put a box through it.

I bought it for concealed carry, and IWB or pocket, you don't even notice its there.

I was going to pick up an LCP, but it's entirely too small for my hands.

Anybody shot or have one with the CT grips on it? Both mine and the rental I first fired have Hogue grips on them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have an LCR, and it isn't fun to shoot. I can't imagine what the .357 will be like.
    No it isn't. The lower part of the trigger guard seems to jump into my finger. This stings. The recoil itself is not bothersome, just the initial twitch that seems to bang some gun into my finger some how. After a box worth of standard pressure and +P .38 special I want nothing to do with it for at least a week or two.

The size, weight, and form factor of the LCP is pleasing however. The trigger as well, it is not a bad trigger. The sights, or lack, thereof. Leave a bit to be desired. Although I do understand it's purpose so I also understand why they are the way they are. I also struggle with accuracy at extended distances with it. I've been told (on here) it's probably me.

For the record I do not own one but a good friend and shooting companion of mine does. I have fired it numerous times now though. As for a .357 variant. No thanks. Say what you want. Not for me. There is simply not enough weight in that weapon to dampen the recoil. It would probably make me develop a flinch.

And that would ruin my current ability to ignore and not anticipate recoil thing I have worked hard on.

(Butler County)

As Wayne Campbell once said, "It will be mine. Oh yes! It will be mine." (Wayne's World)

Now with the movie quotes out of the way, my reasoning for wanting one.

I've wanted a snub nose for a while now and I really like the LCR. The gun fits my hand like a glove and points very naturally for me. I also like the trigger better than my buddy's SW 642.

The added weight will make .38s easier to shoot (albeit marginally) and I doubt 3oz will make it that much more difficult to carry.

As for the sights, I plan on throwing on a XS tritium dot front sight, which for a snbby should be more than enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast