Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do you take your shot gun to the range?

Heck yeah I take it to the range. We have trap and skeet throwers (real "commercial" grade ones) that I haven't even tried yet. We are also allowed to shoot them in the IPSC bays at targets, the shot house if we don't hit walls, at steel if we use target/bird shot, etc. PMSC rules!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin328 View Post
    Honestly I already have a blast just shooting inanimate targets- but as I've read numerous members praising clay target shooting, I definitely intend to try it! Is an automated launcher worth it? Can a friend throw a target far enough?

Also, are there ranges that allow clay target shooting? I've been shooting out in the woods in a local township that allows it and always into a huge dirt backstop to ensure safety. If you are pointing the gun up in the air tracking a moving target how can you be sure where your 300+ birdshot pellets are going? Is it just a matter of being "pretty damn sure" there's "nothing in the woods out there" kinda thing? Just seems a smidgen risky.
    A hand thrower is plenty. Shoguns really don't have much range to them, and longer shots get tricky (you'll find out just how slow 1200 fps is).

As for the distance the shot will travel, it depends on the size of the shot. But, if you shoot 7 1/2 shot or smaller (7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot), it won't make it 300 yards (or so) shot in the air, with a tail wind. That's what most clay ranges will limit you to. I'd suggest checking out a defined clay range with people to help you out. They will help make sure you keep safe, and clear up any questions that might come up.

Also: You aim a rifle, you point a shotgun.

ETA: Search HERE for a list of ranges near you. Just search near your zip code.
    Last edited by jokusfocus; July 20th, 2010 at 10:09 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Absolutely I go to a lot of block shoots (card shoots). So to keep in shape I go at least two times a month. I usually shoot number 8 estate or winchester AAs.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Allegheny County)

All I use is Federal Low recoil 00 Buck with the FliteControl wad or slugs and always buy it from AMMOMAN.

I love shooting both my shotguns at the range.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Lehigh County)

I take my 425 Citori to the skeet range at least once a week for 75 or 100 rds. Usally take my BT99 along also in case I have time for some 16 yard trap.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    As for the distance the shot will travel, it depends on the size of the shot. But, if you shoot 7 1/2 shot or smaller (7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot), it won't make it 300 yards (or so) shot in the air, with a tail wind.
    ETA: Search HERE for a list of ranges near you. Just search near your zip code.
    I do not think that you can break a clay at 50 yd , even with a full choke. Don't take my word for it, try it. With small bird shot the energy falls rapidly with distance.
    Do you want a 3D pattern for your ammo? The snow that is left curled by a plow when it stops is perfect. It will show your pattern with penetration too. You can test different loads and see what ammo works well in your gun. However you will have to wait until this heat wave is over to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    I do not think that you can break a clay at 50 yd , even with a full choke. Don't take my word for it, try it. With small bird shot the energy falls rapidly with distance.
    Do you want a 3D pattern for your ammo? The snow that is left curled by a plow when it stops is perfect. It will show your pattern with penetration too. You can test different loads and see what ammo works well in your gun. However you will have to wait until this heat wave is over to try this.
    I can tell you that you can do that. I've taken (hit hot) a lot of shots longer than 50 yards. Shot does lose energy quickly, but as long as you're shooting larger than 9 shot, you should be good. Keep 9 shot for the skeet field.

(Perry County)

I just purchased an 870 Tactical (great gun!) and I have used it at a local range. However in my limited experience it seems hard to find ranges that accept shotties. I just take it out to a remote dump in the woods in Washington Twp where there is a nice dirt backstop and fire away.

Seems difficult to find cheap 12g ammo (besides birdshot, which is only like $5 for a box of 25 slugs at Walmart). Buck and slugs end up being about $1 each. Here is a link to the cheapest buck I could find online, at only about 50 cents each, plus shipping:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=89132
    When I bought Pardner Pump, I picked up a couple 15 rd. boxes of winchester 00 buck for about $9 and change. I'm not really a shotgun guy so I'm not sure if that's good or not. Seemed good compared to the prices of the other brands of 00 buck though.

(Allegheny County)

How far will a shotgun shoot:

http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_li...w_far_will.htm

Hand/ground thrower, a buddy, birds, shotgun, 50-100 rounds of #7 1/2 = fun!

I really love shooting a stage of reactive steel targets at 7 yards minimum distance for safety using bird shot.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcGYQ...eature=related
    Toujours prêt

Honestly I already have a blast just shooting inanimate targets- but as I've read numerous members praising clay target shooting, I definitely intend to try it! Is an automated launcher worth it? Can a friend throw a target far enough?

Also, are there ranges that allow clay target shooting? I've been shooting out in the woods in a local township that allows it and always into a huge dirt backstop to ensure safety. If you are pointing the gun up in the air tracking a moving target how can you be sure where your 300+ birdshot pellets are going? Is it just a matter of being "pretty damn sure" there's "nothing in the woods out there" kinda thing? Just seems a smidgen risky.
    don't worry about the shot pellets, they are so small and go so slow that they lose their energy very rapidly. (the gunclub that where i shoot on my league uses a cloth backstop)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast