Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Books on the 2nd Amendment

Alright, I'm trying to gather together a small library on well-written books, studies, and other published works, relating to the 2nd Amendment, and I'd like to hear the recommendations of forum members.

Specifically, I'm trying to put together a library that covers a wide range of firearms topics specifically.

1) History, both on the drafting of the second amendment and on the history of gun-legislation in the US (and/or other countries as well), especially looking for a good text about firearms law after the civil war

2) Guns & Religion, always an interesting topic (includes basic self-defense and religion)

3) Anti-gun books, looking for the most "respected" of the opposition

4) Collaborations on firearms statistics, any works that publish and discuss more than 1 statistical study (respected studies mainly, and the studies need to be the focus of the work)

5) legislative specific texts (published works relating to one specific type of firearms law)

6) Respected texts or published works on crimes committed with firearms

This is all for a "project" I'm working on, that I'd like to have 50 or so respected texts to read, review and study, and cite from. Some of you may be able to figure out what I'm doing, but I will neither confirm nor deny what this project is until a later point in time.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Books on the 2nd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    5) legislative specific texts (published works relating to one specific type of firearms law)
    This is kind of a tough fit into 5, especially because I've never read it to know if it has any value, but West (Thomson) has Stephen Halbrook's "Firearms Law Deskbook, 2009-2010 ed." for $406.00.

(Delaware County)

ironsight,

this is a good book:
    They Came for Our Guns, They Came for Our Freedom
    http://www.amazon.com/They-Came-Guns.../dp/0984296301

says amazon doesn't have any...at the 2A rally, they were giving them away for free.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Venango County)

The Federalist Papers. Most of which can be found on the internet for free. It gives a lot of background on many issues, among them, the 2A.

ETA= Was it John Lott that did a study that turned out to be pro firearms? It's a good study anyway whether it is the one I am thinking or not. I was thinking he started slightly believing anti stance regarding more guns=more crime but saw it wasn't so.
    Last edited by TaePo; July 29th, 2010 at 05:53 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Alright, I'm trying to gather together a small library on well-written books, studies, and other published works, relating to the 2nd Amendment, and I'd like to hear the recommendations of forum members.

Specifically, I'm trying to put together a library that covers a wide range of firearms topics specifically.

1) History, both on the drafting of the second amendment and on the history of gun-legislation in the US (and/or other countries as well), especially looking for a good text about firearms law after the civil war

2) Guns & Religion, always an interesting topic (includes basic self-defense and religion)

3) Anti-gun books, looking for the most "respected" of the opposition

4) Collaborations on firearms statistics, any works that publish and discuss more than 1 statistical study (respected studies mainly, and the studies need to be the focus of the work)

6) Respected texts or published works on crimes committed with firearms

This is all for a "project" I'm working on, that I'd like to have 50 or so respected texts to read, review and study, and cite from. Some of you may be able to figure out what I'm doing, but I will neither confirm nor deny what this project is until a later point in time.

The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms by Stephen Halbrook
    To Keep and Bear Arms, the Origin of an Anglo-American Right by Joyce Lee Malcolm

Gun Violence: The Real Costs, by Cook and Ludwig

Check out Cook's views on alcohol control, too.

(Bucks County)

I enjoyed Suzanna Hupp's book -

From Luby's to the Legislature
    , One Woman's Fight Against Gun Control

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    The Federalist Papers. Most of which can be found on the internet for free. It gives a lot of background on many issues, among them, the 2A.

ETA= Was it John Lott that did a study that turned out to be pro firearms? It's a good study anyway whether it is the one I am thinking or not. I was thinking he started slightly believing anti stance regarding more guns=more crime but saw it wasn't so.
    we actually have all the federalist and anti-federalist papers available online:
    federalist-
    http://www.parevolution.com/educatio...eralist-papers

anti-federalist-
    http://www.parevolution.com/educatio...eralist-papers
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty