Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum Reloading

Does anyone else out there reload for the Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum revolver? Have you figured out a really good load that works good for you? Anybody have access to some online load data that you can post a link to? I'm willing to try various loads over time just to see what they are like. Anybody experimented with different kinds of bullets (the projectile itself, not factory loaded ammo) in the 500 Mag? I'm hoping this thread will be used for anyone to post any kind of info that they have about reloading for the 500 Magnum. Also, does anybody have any results/pictures of what various bullets have done on impact of the target or animal? Anybody harvested some big game with this gun using their reloads?

For example, I'm using Hodgdon Lil' Gun Powder with 400 grain jacketed soft point Sierra Sports Master bullets. Also, I'm currently using Remington brass with CCI large rifle primers. I found out by mistake that you can not use large magnum pistol primers in this gun. They just don't hold up to the impact. The primers were getting a little tiny hole in them were the firing pin would indent and weaken them, and some of the charge would flash back through that little hole. I didn't realize this was happening at first until after the first few shots when it started to jam. The flash back through the hole was destroying the firing pin and the little cylinder around it, and preventing the gun from revolving to the next chamber. I got the gun fixed and started using large rifle primers, and everything is fine now.
    Last edited by S&W500Mag; October 18th, 2007 at 09:44 AM.