Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Spanish Mauser 7x57

My buddy just brought some of his dad's guns home from his mom's house. One of the guns brought home was a Spanish Mauser in 7x57. All I know is it the caliber and that it was made in 1925. Can anyone tell me just from this information whether or not it's a model 93, 95, or 98? This is obviously a very important question when trying to develop some loads for it. He was previously searching for a deer rifle and since this gun was sporterized years ago he's decided to use it. Now all we have to do it work up some loads for it. Any help would be useful. If you need more info let me know I'll try to get more from him. I'm assuming that since it was made in 1925 it's a 98 but we want to be sure.
    Thanks
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(York County)

Default Re: Spanish Mauser 7x57

Considering the date on the action and that it is Spanish, it is almost certainly a 1893 action. The Spanish only built '93 (and during WW2 and later) '98 actions for their version of the K98 adopted in 1944.

Look at the bolt with the action open. Is there an lug on the back part near the bolt giving it three locking lugs? If not, it is a '93 action. 1893 rifles also had guide rails milled inside the receiver on the left side of the action.

A close up picture of the action with the bolt open would make it very clear what kind of action you have.

Not to try to advise you on loading, but exactly what kind of loads are you thinking of developing? If you stay within the guidelines of most reloading manuals, you'd be safe with any Mauser action in good condition for the 7x57mm. Its not a hot rod cartridge, but perfectly fine for what you plan to use it for.

Hope this helps.

(York County)

93 and 95 types cock on closing. 95 has a better lock-up than 93, but not much. what you have is a 1916, which is a 95 type. the date gives it away. the spanish didn't make 98 types till 1943, and these had a different upper handguard than german 98 types, so are spotted a mile away. the 1916 types are usually oveido arsenal on the breaching receiver ring, and the 98 types are usually la courona. the 98 types were all 8X57. the 93-95 were 7X57, often re-barreled to 7.62X51 spanish, which is low velocity loading of the 30 nato originally developed for the cetme that nearly duplicates the 7.62X39 exterior ballistics in terms of projo weight and velocity.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post

Not to try to advise you on loading, but exactly what kind of loads are you thinking of developing? If you stay within the guidelines of most reloading manuals, you'd be safe with any Mauser action in good condition for the 7x57mm. Its not a hot rod cartridge, but perfectly fine for what you plan to use it for.

Hope this helps.
    When I was going through my manuals, Hornady advises not to use their load data at all for 93s and 95s, only for 98s and modern actions. My Speer manual suggests using only the start data for the 93s and 95s. Sierra doesn't differentiate between models. This is why I was trying to find out what kind it is. Thanks for the info.

Justashooter, thanks for the info. You guys have been helpful. I plan on taking a look at the rifle to confirm all of this.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper78 View Post
    My buddy just brought some of his dad's guns home from his mom's house. One of the guns brought home was a Spanish Mauser in 7x57. All I know is it the caliber and that it was made in 1925. Can anyone tell me just from this information whether or not it's a model 93, 95, or 98? This is obviously a very important question when trying to develop some loads for it. He was previously searching for a deer rifle and since this gun was sporterized years ago he's decided to use it. Now all we have to do it work up some loads for it. Any help would be useful. If you need more info let me know I'll try to get more from him. I'm assuming that since it was made in 1925 it's a 98 but we want to be sure.
    Thanks
    I have the same sporterized Oveido mauser (1924 date).
    I bought mine from Springfield Sporters on 422 for $24 in the late 70's. The gun stock had a crack in it. I shot commercial 7X57 ammo through it. Although I never shot a deer with it, my BIL did at about 50 yds a few years later.

I rarely shoot it anymore.
    My FR-8 gets most of my attention as I have quite a bit of ammo for it.

27hand

(Dauphin County)

9+
    I've had a 1916 7x57 I picked up at an auction yrs ago in great shape. Have not even shot it yet. Bought it because I have and used a Win Featherweight I used for deer for years (and I'm also a milsurp collector) until I went to flintlock and handgun for deer.

You don't need to hot load the 7x57 and don't want to for the 1916. Keep velocities around 2600 fps for 140-145 gr bullets (or use factory ammo) and you'll have a great shooter that is great on deer. Hornady does list hotter loads and I do use one of their hotter loads now (in my Win M70 ONLY) that drives tacks . For years my pet load shot at 2500 fps. Could thread a bullet through a needle ( or hemlock stand) and doubt the deer missed the extra 100 fps ; )

I love the 7x57 cartridge
    Last edited by 509thsfs; July 17th, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

(York County)

Sleeper78,

The advice all the posters have given are all variations on the same theme: Great cartridge, just keep you loads down to the safe ranges of velocity. Remember, Velocity=Pressure.

Frankly, many reloading manuals are keeping your loads way down even though the SAAMI specs on the cartridge say it is safe up to 45,000 CUP. I guess with so many 100 year plus aged rifles out there these days, they don't want to have a liability attorney looking in their direction if somebody screws up and a gun lets go. If you have any doubts about the rifle, please get a gunsmith to check headspace and condition for you.

(Perry County)

This is why I wanted to know what model it was. I didn't want to accidentally load it to hot. I had already told him to stick to factory ammo to be safe until we figured out what it was. We have no desire to load it hot. That's what out other rifle are for. Thanks for all of the help.