Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Where should beginners go?

Can someone tell me if there is a place in or near Erie where a friend and I can go to rent rifles, get a quick class from someone, and shoot? Just looking to do something different and fun. Couldn't get any clear information from the web and figured it would be best to ask the experts. Any idea what this might cost?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Where should beginners go?

I'd start at a local range and ask the people that work there. Look in the yellow pages under firearms or shooting ranges...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Can someone tell me if there is a place in or near Erie where a friend and I can go to rent rifles, get a quick class from someone, and shoot? Just looking to do something different and fun. Couldn't get any clear information from the web and figured it would be best to ask the experts. Any idea what this might cost?
    Welcome Drew and fellow Erieite

Bob's Gun Shop out on route 99 about 3 miles south of the Mall rents handguns to shoot at their indoor range I believe. The range costs $10/hour. I don't know what the rate on firearms are and you'd have to buy ammo and targets, and you need hearing protection, eye protection and such. Give them a call if you want more details.

As for rifles I'm not sure anyone does that. You'd need to find a gun shop with an outdoor range I guess and I don't know of one in Erie County.

Maybe keep an eye out here for an upcoming local group shoot. I'm busy hunting these days but I'm going out to Gem City Sportsmans Club this Sunday if it is nice out and ask them if they'd permit a group shoot there, maybe try and get a local shoot lined up before the fall is over.

WELCOME!!!!
    Would somebody PLEASE get an Erie County group shoot going before it snows.
    PLEASE!
    Or, are we going to all have to meet up at SGL

(Erie County)

I spoke with a gentleman at Gem City Outdoorsmans Club today and while it is possible to setup a special trap shoot such as the Republican Party Trap shoot going on there today, general range use is for members only. In essence I came away unclear as to whether or not a PAFOA shoot could be arranged. They have a separate rifle range they use for a bi-annual national shoot. It may be possible to arrange something there but I get the impression that someone higher up in the PAFOA chain of command locally would need to get involved.
    Last edited by CoyoteJack; October 21st, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

It wouldn't be the best place, but SGL might be the answer.
    No asking permission, just show up. Only drawback is the limited amount of ammo, and occasionally a nutjob. Usually during the week in the day time is the best time to go. They clean up on Monday mornings and replace the boards. I've been going Monday afternoon or Tuesday mornings and its not shot up too badly. By the weekends its shot to shit.
    Maybe someone else from Erie County has a place to shoot. A "guest" fee is no problem for me
    Did anyone ever investigate Bay City? I pass it on the way to SGL. Might be something i'm going to look into, providing they allow "female members".

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    I spoke with a gentleman at Gem City Outdoorsmans Club today and while it is possible to setup a special trap shoot such as the Republican Party Trap shoot going on there today, general range use is for members only. In essence I came away unclear as to whether or not a PAFOA shoot could be arranged. They have a separate rifle range they use for a bi-annual national shoot. It may be possible to arrange something there but I get the impression that someone higher up in the PAFOA chain of command locally would need to get involved.
    Might be worth a PM to doug. Hes the VP of this forum, and he is also an Erie County resident. I'm sure he could point us in the right direction.