Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default moving up in a few weeks

I'll be moving from SC to Philly in a few weeks and I'm looking for some guidance. I've already spent an hour and a half reading through two or three threads on obtaining a LTCF from Philly county, and while I have a spotless record (one speeding ticket in SC is the only mark on my record; I've never so much as gotten a parking ticket) I can't say I'm looking forward to the process. I'm assuming that PA residents have to get their permits from the county they reside in? I've heard non-residents can go to whatever county they like (Centre county seems to be popular) but I'm guessing residents have to go where they live. Also, I know the idea of getting a lawyer before even starting the process comes recommended, and I read somewhere about Phil Kline (who I believe is a member around here) and another lawyer whose name escapes me at the moment. Having never used a lawyer before I have no idea even what consultation fees would be like - can anyone give a recommendation, any maybe a PM with ballpark costs? Moving is expensive and since I'm spending several thousand dollars moving and finding an apartment and all that jazz, I don't want to get in over my head if it's going to cost a ton. However I also don't want to make a mistake the first time around and spend more to correct it later.

I guess one other question for concealed carry. My NH permit is good through May 2013. In you guys' opinion, should I jump on getting my PA permit right away or does the NH permit give me breathing room?

Beyond the concealed carry issue, I've got a rifle and three handguns. I assume there's no problem bringing them in-state with me when I move? Does PA have any weird restrictions on magazine capacities? (15 round mags in the SKS and 17+1 in the PT-92, if it makes a difference.)

Thanks for your help!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: moving up in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by tmountjr View Post
    I'm assuming that PA residents have to get their permits from the county they reside in?
    Yes
    Note: PA has a LTCF (License to Carry Firearms). It allows you to do quite a few things than just carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot
    Pa issues a "License to Carry Firearms".
    An LTCF allows you to
    1) CC outside your abode or fixed place of biz (IE: public) Statewide minus the prohibited places. (Ref: 18Pa.C.S.§6106)
    2) carry a firearm (OC or CC) during a Pa. declared state of emergency. (Ref: 18Pa.C.S.§6107)
    3) Carry OC or CC in a vehicle (Ref: 18Pa.C.S.§6106)
    4) Carry OC on public streets of Philadelphia. (Ref: 18Pa.C.S.§6108)
    5) Allows a person to loan you a handgun (Ref: 18Pa.C.S.§6115)
    6) Exempts you from the prohibition of carrying in State Parks (CC only though)
    7) Exempts one from the fed gun free school zone act provided the school is in the same state as the license holder.

Ref: Pa. Uniform Firearms Act (Title 18, Ch.61, subchapter A)

As you can see, a good bit more than just CC.

Also, a misdemeanor 1 is prohibiting in Pa., not just "felonies". (18Pa.C.S.6105)
    Also, I know the idea of getting a lawyer before even starting the process comes recommended, and I read somewhere about Phil Kline (who I believe is a member around here)
    Getting a LTCF isn't that painful of a process, even in Philly. Especially with a spotless record. You don't need a lawyer.
    Phil Kline is "GunLawyer001" here.

Beyond the concealed carry issue, I've got a rifle and three handguns. I assume there's no problem bringing them in-state with me when I move?
    No problem at all. Just make sure you follow interstate transportation laws.

Does PA have any weird restrictions on magazine capacities? (15 round mags in the SKS and 17+1 in the PT-92, if it makes a difference.)
    Nope no weird restrictions. You can even have hollow points
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

If you have a carry permit/license from SC now, you can get a PA LTCF from Centre Co. PA in under 2 weeks and do it all thru the mail. That way, you'll already have your PA LTCF when you move up here and won't have to go thru Philly's BS.

Of course in 5 years at renewal time, if you're a Philly resident, you will have to face that, but who knows...you might have chosen a different PA county to live in by then
    Last edited by HiredGoon; July 16th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If you have a carry permit/license from SC now, you can get a PA LTCF from Centre Co. PA in under 2 weeks and do it all thru the mail. That way, you'll already have your PA LTCF when you move up here and won't have to go thru Philly's BS.

Of course in 5 years at renewal time, if you're a Philly resident, you will have to face that, but who knows...you might have chosen a different PA county to live in by then
    This is what I was going to mention. You mentioned having a NH license, do you have a SC permit too?

The topic was recently discussed here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-question.html

(Delaware County)

Besides the differences as indicated by a former post, a license carrier in Pa. doesn't have to suffer with those no-guns signs like you have in S.C. If anyone posts such signs, they are not enforceable relative to any crimes code. One could ask you to leave the premises and you should do so, otherwise you could be charged with defiant trespassing, but not a firearm violation unless its government property prohibiting firearms. Unlike S.C., one could carry in a restaurant serving alcohol or a bar for that matter. With all the advantages that Pa. has in the above regard, I still love your state and wished I could have lived there.

(Lehigh County)

Spend the money on a lawyer.

I spent $100 for a (very long and informative) consultation, which was then applied to my $3,000 bill. My lawyer went and cut a deal with the city prosecutor, who I believe fights L&I review cases for the city.

I'd have spent less than ten percent of that had I lawyered first and applied second.

Food for thought... and welcome to this place. I hated it when I got here, and my opinion is just going downhill.

-L.
    Software trumps hardware.

(Butler County)

To get your LTCF you do not need a lawyer. If your denied then maybe. You know the old saying "If you think talks cheap try talking to a lawyer."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

If I were in your shoes the advice above is exactly what I would do. Even though issued by different counties it is a PA LTCF.
    Tim

Another vote for getting your Pa non res. first. In a few years you may come to your senses and move out of Philly.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

I'd have spent less than ten percent of that had I lawyered first and applied second.
    Life's a gamble - this one has questionable odds, and high stakes.
    Software trumps hardware.