Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default SCPASA Rule Book Draft and Beta Shoot

After working on the Steel City Airsoft Practical Shooting Association (SCPASA) rule book (Note: I borrow heavily from IDPA rule book - I hope they won't mind about that) over the July 4th weekend, I'm eager to beta-test it. Thanks to Steel City Airsoft's staff, as well as the players on site who volunteered to be the guinea pigs, I was able to run part of it yesterday and learned a lot of lessons. The flow of the match was supposed to look like this:
    Stage 1 Design Download Here

Embassy plaza

Stage 2 Design Download Here

Car Plaza

Stage 3 Design Download Here

Market Plaza by the first and second barricades - Target 1&2 can be seen but not 3

Target 3 can only be seen in the prone position...

Or, in the center of the plaza

Stage 4 Design Download Here
    Starting point of Stage 4

Target 1 is by the right side of the doorway. Contestants must "slicing the pie" to shoot the target, or they'll get a penalty for not using cover.

Target 2 in the hallway

Target 3 in the 2nd room. There's a No-shoot covering its body, so the contestant must shoot at the head. I think the IDPA paint empty hands on the target to symbolize "No-shoot", but I didn't have time to do it.

Target 4 in the 3rd room.

It's a shame that we only tried the first string of the first stage due to time limit and problems. The lessons I learned are:

1. It's better to have a staff briefing first and then a staff shoot. This way, everyone knows his job and it makes things smoother. On the open shoot day, all the staff will be the running the match. Here's a couple of videos I took when I was observing a USPSA shoot recently (notice how they all work together to get the range ready for the next shooter):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3zD7ggCog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWMuiFxzhj8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scle5LmbjGY

2. The GunTimer I was using does not work well on the field, due to the program having difficulty differentiating the shots and the background noises. I'd recommend just using a regular timer which produces a loud "beep" when started. The only problem is that we have to find a way to determine the end point of the string of fire. I think we can ask the contestants to flip the safety to "on" after they are done shooting, and once the safety officer observes that, he'll stop the timer. This will produce some delay in timing, but I can't think of any other way.

3. I was just duct-taping the targets on the wall, and this is far from ideal since the bbs sometimes just bounce off the target without leaving a mark. I'm working on getting enough PVC pipes to build about 15 target stands.

4. I think it will be better if we have at least two persons running each stage - a safety officer/timer and a scorer.

If you have any suggestions about the rules or ideas about stage designs, please don't refrain from sharing them. By the way, you can download the templates for stage designs here: http://www.stageexchange.com/Stage%20Template.zip
    Last edited by PMO Gordo; July 16th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SCPASA Rule Book Draft and Beta Shoot

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity setting on the timer ? Also you could have the RO scroll though the times if he sees the timer jump after the last shot. As soon as the last shot is made have the RO look at the timer.

When you put this together for real I would be interested to check it out.

(Westmoreland County)

Rule book link not working...
    The activity of the mind is life. -Aristotle

(Allegheny County)

I think I fix it. Please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Rule book link not working...