Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking about building an AR. Is it true that if ...

Saw the nifty AR built on line here. I'm thinking about building an AR. Is it true that if you can take one a part you can put one together? Sounds KISS but is it????

And how much is the saving on building an M4 clone? I hope its better then building a 1911 heck you can buy a 1911 cheaper then you can put on together pending the parts you use. I know guys that have built 1911s and have $1100 dollars into a now days REGULAR looking 1911.

What's the average Frankenstein AR gonna cost me to build with above average parts?

My BushMaster cost me $799 back in the 1990s, can I beat that $.
    Last edited by Neko456; July 9th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Thinking about building an AR. Is it true that if ...

I'm not the most experienced in this matter, having not built one myself yet. But, I have been talking to people, and asking questions.

I'm not 100% on the m4 clone, but from what everyone has been telling me you can build a nice AR15, for between $600-$800. Which, when you go to a shop and see a very similar one one the shelf for $900-$1200, makes building one the least expensive option.

And yes, for all technical purposes, if you can take one apart you can put it back together. In the same sense, if you take a car apart, you can put it back together. Someone should be along with a weblink to a site I have seen before on building them up. Good luck!

(Lawrence County)

Most kit guns come with the upper assembled. Altogether you can have pretty much any variant in the $650-$750 range. Some punches and some patience is all you need.

Building an upper is relatively easy, but you should have an action block, a vise and an armorer's wrench. Building the upper is the way to go when no one makes what you really want. On that note, a really KILLER shooter can be built for under $1200 and be dead reliable with very tight groups.

Lycanshortversionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

...and in comes Blank with the link! The crowd goes wild!.....

(Monroe County)

Its not true that you have to build Frankestein gun to come out ahead moneywise, You can build a quality Gun using Quality Parts for about $650-$700, but the biggest Pay off is not the the Money you save its the Knowledge you will gain in how these things work and operate and how to maintain them.

I have built many and will never buy one from a store already built.

The key to building an AR is to not Rush , take your time and have fun doing it.

Nyman

How much research goes into buying quality parts?
    What are some good 3rd part names to look for? When putting together my monster AR.

I like the knowledge point of view but I don't want to put $1,600 in this Frankenstien that could have paid for a H bar and it still shoots like a stock
    $800 BushMaster, that would seem like a waste of time and money. I maybe using 1990s prices but I hope you see my point.

Now I don't mind spending $600-$700 to build a modified AR that shoots as well as my Bushmaster.

What all comes with upgrading to the larger calibers like 6mms or .308s?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but Knowledge is great but Money is always a factor in the real world, that I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post

What all comes with upgrading to the larger calibers like 6mms or .308s?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but Knowledge is great but Money is always a factor in the real world, that I live in.
    You can't "upgrade" an AR-15 to shoot .308 or any caliber of similar size. That's what an AR-10 is for. You'd need a completely different lower receiver for it; at that point you're talking a different gun.

My understanding with an AR-15 is you can make one in nearly any caliber that is about the same length as 5.56/.223 or smaller. 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, etc. are all pretty much the same length. You can get smaller because you can always fit something smaller into the well, but you can't fit something larger.

.223: 2.26 in
    5.45x39: 2.244 in
    7.62x39: 2.205 in
    .50 Beowulf: 2.125 in
    6.8 SPC: 2.315 in <-- interesting, must be a very tight fit
    6.5 Grendel: 2.26 in

I'm no expert. I'm the furthest from it. So there may be other reasons as well that you can't build a large (.308 sized) rifle AR-15. But overall length is a definite limiter.
    Last edited by Nullifidian; July 12th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

You build an AR because it's fun and educational. Moreover, you can say "I built it". The AR platform is relatively standardized, parts for a build on the same/similar calibers will work together well (minus the barrel).

On the whole, basic essential parts (lower parts kits, upper, lower, barrels, bolt carrier group, stock) are pretty much the similar in quality and cost. You can pay premium prices for premium parts, but for an essential basic AR, you can get away with spending the minimum. The build process is pretty easy.

What great about the platform is the variations in customizable accessories beyond essential parts. This is where a lot of your money will be spent on, during or more likely after the initial build.

What you need consider a few things:
    1. Shed the Frankenstein association. ARs are beautiful, not a bunch of hideous creatures. Think hideous and build hideous.

2. Don't overwhelm yourself with thousands of possible indecisions by going nuts over various variations in parts and brands. Take your time, there aren't that many parts beyond the basic essentials.

3. Start out simple, get a complete kit and a lower. You won't have to run around various sites looking for small parts at the best prices. In all likelihood, you'll build another one after the first. You can do your piecemeal shopping then.

A few general things I prefer when starting a build:
    1. Flat top upper (M4) for more optics options in the future
    2. 5.56 chambering for more ammo compatibility
    3. Collapsible stock is nice for sharing the gun with other people who may not be your height.

Here are a few of my builds to get your heart pumpin'

Al

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    You build an AR because it's fun and educational. Moreover, you can say "I built it". The AR platform is relatively standardized, parts for a build on the same/similar calibers will work together well (minus the barrel).

On the whole, basic essential parts (lower parts kits, upper, lower, barrels, bolt carrier group, stock) are pretty much the similar in quality and cost. You can pay premium prices for premium parts, but for an essential basic AR, you can get away with spending the minimum. The build process is pretty easy.

What great about the platform is the variations in customizable accessories beyond essential parts. This is where a lot of your money will be spent on, during or more likely after the initial build.

What you need consider a few things:
    1. Shed the Frankenstein association. ARs are beautiful, not a bunch of hideous creatures. Think hideous and build hideous.

2. Don't overwhelm yourself with thousands of possible indecisions by going nuts over various variations in parts and brands. Take your time, there aren't that many parts beyond the basic essentials.

3. Start out simple, get a complete kit and a lower. You won't have to run around various sites looking for small parts at the best prices. In all likelihood, you'll build another one after the first. You can do your piecemeal shopping then.

A few general things I prefer when starting a build:
    1. Flat top upper (M4) for more optics options in the future
    2. 5.56 chambering for more ammo compatibility
    3. Collapsible stock is nice for sharing the gun with other people who may not be your height.

Here are a few of my builds to get your heart pumpin'

Al
    i like that 2nd AR from top where did you get that Lower? its badass!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i like that 2nd AR from top where did you get that Lower? its badass!
    Seekins Precision lower. I got it from Rainier Arms. Here's a better shot of it:

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast