Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Concealed compact sub-machinegun?

I was thinking, is it possible to legally carry a compact sub-machine gun? For example- an H&K MP5 K PDW. I'm not familiar with the laws regarding legal ownership of sub-machine guns, so forgive my ignorance. For all practical purposes, I doubt a situation would ever arise that one would need the firepower of a compact automatic over that of a pistol, although anything can happen. I am curios to know if anyone has more information on this matter. Thanks!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

Default Re: Concealed compact sub-machinegun?

One problem comes to mind.
    Excessive Force
    It's going to cost you a lot to get out of that one.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Philadelphia County)

perfectly legal so long as the gun was obtained properly. Expect to spend the next 5 years of your life and every penny you've ever earned up to this point and then some on lawyers if you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    One problem comes to mind.
    Excessive Force
    It's going to cost you a lot to get out of that one.

Depends where you use it.

Two concerns come to mind:
    1. Collateral damage, or the threat of hitting innocent bystanders either with ricochets or stray rounds.
    2. Loss of the weapon as a direct consequence of a shooting, while being held as evidence. If this happened, you'd lose a significant investment.
    An SMG compact enough for concealed carry is very short, and a challenge to accurately shoot. I have an old SWD M11/9, and I need a *lot* of practice to stay proficient with it. I would never carry it outside of a situation similar to the 1992 LA Riots.

(Fulton County)

hard to conceal a subgun wearing jeans and t shirt

(Jefferson County)

It would look bad in court or on the desk of a DA deciding to prosecute, however if use of deadly force was justified by means of a simple handgun - then the use of a bazooka(if properly stamped), shotgun, Mac truck, flamethrower, tank, etc is just as justified as the use of a lessor weapon. There is no legal difference between kill or overkill because there is only one degree of death.

Its not the type of weapon used, but rather if the use of force itself was justified. Would the use of exotic weapon help your case?? probably not..

As to the original post, if the machine pistol/subgun fits the dimensions of a "firearm" in PA, it might be covered with a LTCF. Do NOT quote me on this one, because this is totally speculation. A machine-gun however is specifically outlined as an "offensive weapon" and may not be afforded the coverage of the LTCF. I've yet to see any verdict or caselaw to give precedence on the matter.

"Firearm": a pistol or revolver with a barrel less than 15", or a shotgun with a barrel less than 18", or a rifle with a barrel less than 16", or a shotgun or a rifle with an overall length less than 26".

In a civil court, the use of exotics would definitely look bad.. real bad...
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

The question is: Who doesn't carry a HK PDW?

(Jefferson County)

Just a little thought on the questioned firearm, from Wikipedia it say that it started production in 1991. Unless you're an LEO or exempted somehow else, you'll never legally own one to find out if you could carry it. If I remember correctly, post 1986 auto's aren't transferable to the average Joe - only LEO, military, FFL w/SOT(?)

(mind you, it is Wiki - not always reliable)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_MP5
    MP5K-PDW: Personal Defense Weapon; MP5K-N with added folding stock and 3-lug/threaded barrel for mounting of suppressors; "Navy" or 3-round burst trigger group. Introduced in 1991
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Don't quote me on this.....but I remember seeing a sign at the sheriff's office that a Pa Carry permit does not cover NFA weapons which a transferable MP5 would classify as. As far as legal to transfer, there's a whole bunch of folks working up pre-86 MP5K's with the pdw stock. So technically it's not PDW, but sure looks like one. Anybody have UFA citation?

--Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast