Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield EMP

(Pike County)

Talking Springfield EMP

I bought a Springfield EMP Thursday.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with the EMP. It is a fantastic pistol for what it's designed to be – small, lightweight, easily carried, and a 1911. It’s not much bigger than my Airweight snub, although almost twice the weight.

I was looking for a compact 1911 for a while and almost bought a Kimber Ultra Aegis. After seeing the Aegis and EMP side-by-side, the choice was clear. I also considered a Colt Agent 45, but the fit of the EMP or Aegis is so much better. Glad I waited.

I got interested in the Aegis and the EMP 6 or so months ago, but held off because several owners had reported problems. Springfield took care of the problems in each case and recent reports have been respectable.

When I first field stripped and cleaned it I noticed that the slide has the last three digits of the serial number etched on it, probably indicating that the slide was fitted to this particular frame (later confirmed by Springfield Customer Service).

I got to the range Friday and put 490 rounds through it. 200 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ, no problems. 200 rounds WWB 115 grain FMJ, no problems. 50 rounds Winchester +P 115 grain JHP, 3 or 4 Fail to Feed. 40 rounds Federal 135 grain JHP Hydra Shock, about 2 in 10 Fail to Feed (expensive lesson) (I think the Federal Hydra Shocks Reduced Recoil may not have had enough power to cycle the stiff slide properly). In all Fail to Feeds the bullet nose jammed into the feed ramp requiring racking the slide to feed the round.

I put another 360 rounds through my EMP Monday without any problems. 60 rounds of Winchester 147 grain Silvertip Hollow Point, no problems. 100 rounds of Winchester 147 grain JHP (have a kind of serrated nose), no problems. 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain JHP, no problems. 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ, no problems. Afterwards, I thoroughly cleaned it and polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish (I do this on all my pistols).

I put another 200 rounds through it this morning. 100 rounds of Winchester 147 grain JHP, no problems. 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115 grain JHP, no problems. I guess It’s broken in by now, Springfield Customer Service said it takes about 750 rounds, I got 1050 now.

Accuracy has been excellent; it shoots better than I do. Recoil was not as bad as I thought it would be considering the 3” barrel. I had no trouble controlling the pistol and felt that recovery was at least as good as my G19. Even though most of my shooting was rapid fire just to get break-in rounds down range, I averaged 1-1/2” groups at 30’ (a bit to the left of point-of-aim until I got used to the light trigger).

I definitely notice a difference in the smoothness as it breaks in. This is one of the most well fit firearms I’ve ever had the pleasure to handle. If you briskly shake the EMP with the magazine out, there is NO Rattling AT ALL! The fit and finish is fantastic! Again, I'm extremely pleased with the EMP.

Things I liked;
    Crisp trigger and reset, with a short light pull (3/32”) - Just a bit of creep in the initial take up, then a crisp let off. Crisp thumb safety clicks on and off with a good positive feel, no worries that the safety will work itself "off" unless intentionally. Slide-to-frame fit and slide release is tight, no rattles at all, it moves very smooth and loosened up after 300 rounds. The grips are very nicely made, with fantastic detail in the logo and I really like the three-dot night sights.

Things I didn’t like;
    Magazine release is too tight; I couldn’t just push the mags into place without holding the release for the first 10 – 15 mags. If you tried to slap it home, the first round would stove pipe with the slide open. That leads me to the next complaint, the front of the magazine lips were much looser than any other 9mm magazine I’ve ever used. Magazines do not have witness holes. The Magazine seated better after 300 rounds or so, but not as I expected.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Springfield EMP

Congratulations on your new pistol, i was thinking of getting one for concealed carry, but hadnt had too much feedback on it. Im happy it worked out well for you.

(Dauphin County)

Very nice....
    I like it...

(Berks County)

Sounds like an excellent little firearm. Thanks for the review!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Delaware County)

Great lookin Springfield, I hope you enjoy and have fun at the range.
    It looks like a great carry gun too.

(York County)

Nice review! That EMP looks as nice as mine

You seem as impressed with the quality of this pistol as I am. I have to admit , my EMP has had it's share of "admiring" time

(Pike County)

Yea, mine’s had it’s fair share of “admiring” time. I am very impressed with the fit and quality, but not as impressed with the magazine catch or customer service.

I called Springfield on Monday to ask about the magazines hanging up on the magazine catch. The rep gave me the part number in case I wanted to order spares while they arranged an exchange for the defective one.

I explained that all three hung on the lip and felt coarse from the time it contacted the catch until it seated, but went in smooth as silk if I held the release depressed until seated. All I want is to get a new magazine catch sent out, and they want me to send it in for repair (3 to 5 weeks turn around).

Needless to say, I blow a fit! So the Sh*t For Brains finally agrees to send me one, but if I have “any problems installing it”, they will need to take a look at it.

It took a little Dremel work to polish out the score marks on the magazines and ease the sharp edges on the catch. Now they all go in like they should have from the beginning. I am looking forward to the spare anyway.

NOW she’s ready for carry.

(Pike County)

I just spoke to Rob at Springfield Custom Shop, he will send me 3 new magazines after I receive and install the new Magazine Catch – Finally, a technician who knew what he was talking about!

You should post your, so far, good luck here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...pointment.html

I have no experience with it, but it would seem some are unhappy.
    Many short 1911's seem to have problems.

Good luck with your, though
    FUCK BIDEN

(Pike County)

Update...

Springfield Custom shop came through. Rob figured out that the magazine catch that came from the factory was not the right one, blued instead of Parkerized and not beveled, he sent me a new one and 3 new magazines with RMA for old ones. The mags go in like a hot knife through butter!

I have 1350 rounds down range, half FMJ – half JHP. The only feed problems were the 15 JHP’s in the first 200 rounds, and then it’s run without fault. And I’m not too sure they weren’t the fault of the magazines snagging on the catch because they mostly failed in the top 2 rounds and never further down.

Accuracy, especially out of a 3” barrel, is outstanding. This is one smooth shooter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast