Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default DE .44/.50AE for wilderness protection?

Most of the other sites I've read seem to have a lot of conflicting information on the DE, so I thought I'd ask here. I know some of you have Desert Eagles.

Typically people look at the Desert Eagle as a range toy, but I'm wondering how useful it'd be for protection when in areas where bears or other larger (than human) animals are known to be. I've read a lot of people having various problems with Desert Eagles in terms of reliability which is a major concern of mine. Is a Desert Eagle suitable for this purpose, or are there better options (that aren't revolvers)? Of course having one to double as a range toy wouldn't be a bad thing. My main concern is for situations in somewhat remote areas in PA where a .45 ACP would be insufficient.

Also I've read that some people use the Desert Eagle for hunting, but I didn't think semi-autos were legal to hunt with in PA (I've never been hunting). I checked the PGC site and the way things were worded seemed to me that all semi-autos (not just long guns) were not to be hunted with or does that vary based on what you're hunting?

TIA

(Monroe County)

Default Re: DE .44/.50AE for wilderness protection?

The DE is a pretty poor platform from what I've researched. It's impractical for daily carry, even for those who open carry. If we're out in the dead middle of the mountains and I NEED a reliable gun capable of bringing down a crazed bear, I'm probably going to carry a .44mag sw or ruger. Reliable.

As far as hunting, no semi's allowed in PA. I think the ONLY exception might be semi-auto shotguns for bird hunting, and even then, it might only be water fowl. Someone who knows more on that will come along, but semi-auto handguns are never allowed.
    Last edited by jcabin; July 13th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

it would stop anything, as with any 44 mag would. just don't hunt with it in pa..
    FJB

(Monroe County)

If this is for self defense, it really doesn't matter if it is semi-auto or not. You aren't restricted to only defending yourself against wild life with revolvers or bolt actions.. Hunting is a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

The DE in .50 AE is pretty reliable, the .44 is a rimmed cartidge , there goes your reliability , in Alaska the DE sells well because people carry them for obvious reasons.

However personally if i were going to venture out into the woods where there are big bears, moose, gators, hyenas, lions, tigers etc. , i would take a 4 inch smith 29, ruger blackhawk, taurus rb or my colt anaconda.
    In other words a big powerful revolver.

Nyman

(Lancaster County)

Far better choice than a DE would be Glock 20, or best option a guide gun in .45-70.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; July 13th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    ... or best option a guide gun in .45-70.
    Plus one on that. Or you might as well get a .500 S&W if you're considering spending the cash on a DE.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

The only problem I had with my 44, is I have to run combat loads.. I've never cleaned it.. NEVER.. I am a bad gun owner, I toss it back into the case regularly. I've only ran 8 boxes or so through it. I've heard some people with spring problems. Not yet for mine..
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Lackawanna County)

Before you buy,why not ask those who hunt bear and other large game what they carry for a side arm when hunting,most of the people here do not hunt big game and only say what they think would be a good gun.

If your going to play around in areas where there are creatures that look at you as a food source,or threat,get advice from experienced people on what works and what does not,after all it's your life that maybe at stake,not any of the other keyboard bangers here.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Monroe County)

skip the DE and get yourself a nice .460 Revolver.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast