Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Schools locked down because they could?

"We didn't think he would try to enter the school buildings, but we locked down..."

Just because we could?

School lock down

Is this an abuse of power or desirable public safety?
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Schools locked down because they could?

A Derry man, who authorities said was wanted for failing to show up for a hearing on a charge of driving under the influence, triggered a lockdown of two nearby schools for three hours Tuesday after he fled from Westmoreland County sheriff's deputies.
    Wow. Next it'll be locked down when someone doesn't pay their parking tickets int time.

(Snyder County)

I see no problem with what they did. They saw what they thought was a threat. Even if they didn't think he would enter, he could. So they took action against it.

I don't think I am going to be car jacked on my way home from work, but I could. So I take action against it and carry a pistol on my side, even though there is no immediate threat. Just the possibility that something could always happen. Am I abusing my right to bear arms? Am I a crazy gun nut? Am I threat to public safety?

they would lock down my schools all the time for drills, and even to bring the drug dogs threw a few times a year in junior high/high school, thats because they can... atleast they had somewhat of a reason for this one

(Northumberland County)

Well, I agree with what they did on the face of things. We dont have the whole story, like any other criminal convictions. Anyone remember the Two deputies shot and killed up north a few years ago? They were attempting to serve... you guessed it... a failure to appear warrant. Also, everyone always associates DUI with alcohol. They forget there is DUI of controlled substance, too. This guy may have been under the influence of both, for all we know and is a known drug offender. This guy may have had a really serious background... my guess is that he does if they put the chopper up.

(Allegheny County)

i'm so glad i got outta school before this whole "lock down" phenomenon started.

if i were ever in school...or anywhere else for that matter...and someone came and said "there is something going on, so you cannot leave" the first thing i would do is start figuring out how to leave.

i guess i just have some instinct about not wanting to be a fish in a barrel.

the second thing i would prolly do is start shopping for an attorney for my false imprisonment case. (i know this wouldn't really get anywhere, but it should...)

sorry mr. authority-guy, but i have committed no crime, and, thus, you have no right to imprison me in this building.

(Allegheny County)

LRT - he LIVES!

That reminds me... when I was in school, if there was a "bomb threat" phoned in,(happened on a regular basis BTW)they would evacuate the building. UNLESS it was cold or raining... in that case, we would be herded like cattle into the auditorium, to sit and wait until the local police could check the building.
    I can recall, even as a young kid, asking a teacher why they would force us to go into the auditorium. "That's where I'd put the bomb if I wanted to hurt a bunch of people", I said. "Don't worry" she said, "We checked it first."
    Yeah, O-TAY!

Back on topic...
    The whole "lock-down" thing mystifies me.
    If the doors were all locked from the outside, there wouldn't be an issue.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

When the school that my children attend does a lock down drill, they are instructed to herd into the corner of the room that is hardest to see from the door. The thinking, I guess, is that a bad guy won't see them and therefore leave them alone.

My children have been instructed to find a way out of the school.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

yeah, emptymag, despite the best efforts of several clients...and a couple of computers...to drive me to it, i have not yet killed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    When the school that my children attend does a lock down drill, they are instructed to herd into the corner of the room that is hardest to see from the door. The thinking, I guess, is that a bad guy won't see them and therefore leave them alone.
    my thinking would be that the bad guy would have to expend less ammunition and aim less accurately to shoot them all...

My children have been instructed to find a way out of the school.
    now that sounds like a rational response.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    "We didn't think he would try to enter the school buildings, but we locked down..."

Just because we could?

School lock down

Is this an abuse of power or desirable public safety?

I don't think it is an abuse of power, but it is over the top with regards to trying to find this guy.

So basically no one could enter or leave a school from 1130am to 230pm? Big deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast