Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Fear at the Mason-Dixon line

While driving south on I-81 on my way to North Carolina, I was OCing my XDm. Based on the exit numbers being placed at the mile marker and seeing an exit 1, I thought that looks like a good place to exit and disarm for the trip through the People's Republic of Maryland. As I cruise south looking for exit 1, I see the Exit sign just ahead. The exit is just on the other side of a bridge that crosses I-81. As I approach the bridge, I see a little sign mile marker 0, followed by another little sign; "Mason-Dixon Line"!

Oh crap!!!

Whip around the exit ramp, impatiently wait at the stop for traffic to pass, then zip across to the north side of the east-west road where all the residence cars had PA license plates and locked up the all Maryland contraband.

After getting back on the road, I have to wonder how the PA residents that live in that area make out with firearm related issues where their neighbor's home across the street is is a prohibited area.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Fear at the Mason-Dixon line

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    After getting back on the road, I have to wonder how the PA residents that live in that area make out with firearm related issues where their neighbor's home across the street is is a prohibited area.
    That's why I usually give it about a 10-mile buffer...starting at about exit 10 or so I look for a place to secure everything, because I have almost done the exact same thing there.

Now you want something fun...try living right near NJ and explaining to friends that you're out with (that don't know you carry) that you "REALLY REALLY don't want to take a trip to Jersey" haha
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Monroe County)

Got you both beat. When I flew back from Texas, I landed in Philly and had a friend come and pick me up from the airport. Got in the car, took my sidearm and such out of my bag and put my sidearm where it belongs, on me, IWB since you cant OC in Texas I didnt bring an OWB holster with me. Well I fell asleep THINKING we were taking the turnpike home, told her to wake me when we are about to get off the highway BEFORE I fell asleep.

Well, I woke up a little while later and said, Where the Hell are we? She goes, "Turnpikes locked up with traffic, Im taking the back way". My response, WHAT backway? Well, the answer almost gave me a stroke. "Oh you know, through jersey" Well, luckily we had not crossed INTO NJ yet, so I had time to yell STOP so I can lock my stuff up in the trunk. Turns out I woke up just in time as the NJ border was less than 2 miles from where I had her stop... I wasnt even aware you could go that way, then again I never flew into philly before so I guess it was a learning experience...

(Westmoreland County)

Our camp is near the OHIO border. So when we are out we need to know exactly where we are.

(Bucks County)

Did you know cape may is below the Mason Dixon line? It is scary.

(Centre County)

Well atleast you had a chance to pull over, last year I was going through Easton following Rt611 North and I honeslty took a wrong turn and was immediately on the bridge going over the Delaware river on my way to NJ. Once I got to the other side I find the first legal U-turn and got myself back in PA, scared the Jesus out of me. I plead the 5th why I was very very nervous and wanted to back to PA. Atleast you had a place to pull off, I was on a bridge with no way but to PRNJ.

(Northampton County)

Isn't it silly how you one second you can be a law abiding citizen and the next you can be a felon... just by crossing an imaginary line?

I had no idea there was a free bridge from Easton -> NJ. I found out in a terrifying fashion... http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ast-night.html

(Philadelphia County)

My business partner's house is in the area where PA, DE, and MD all meet. The fastest way to his house is to go down 95, and through Newark DE. Before I had a license that would cover me, I would dread the trip and lock everything in the trunk befoirehand, and never stop along the way. More than one time, in the beginning, did I take the wrong turn and end up in MD on the way back. It is very scary.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaterkathy View Post
    Our camp is near the OHIO border. So when we are out we need to know exactly where we are.
    You should look into getting a UT, FL or other state's permit/license that has reciprocity with OH...to be legal to carry in OH if you need to

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You should look into getting a UT, FL or other state's permit/license that has reciprocity with OH...to be legal to carry in OH if you need to
    Waiting for a class near me. I would have al least three if not five of my family to take it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast