Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Picked up a new Benelli Nova 12

Being new to shotguns, I didn't go armed with a lot of info. It came down to a Mossberg 835, a Remington 870, or this Benelli. The folks at Tanner's are great, and spent a lot of time with me. Within it's price range, I'm feeling like a I made a good choice, but time will tell.

Now, to immerse myself in learning the world of shotguns.

Oh yeah, pics - of course:

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Picked up a new Benelli Nova 12

I bought one when they first came out. Great gun. Never used it as much as I wanted to, so I sold it. Went hunting a few times and shot some clay birds. Never one problem. I always enjoyed loading Remington 3.5 magnum 00 buckshot rounds in it and handing it to a friend to shoot. That's fun for maybe one shot. 18 double ought pellets at magnum velocity makes the recoil quite stout. It's a good choice for those that actually plan on using 3.5 shells in it, otherwise you are better off with a shotty with 3 inch chambers. A pump gun with 3.5 inch chambers makes for a LONG stroke. Good luck with it.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I bought one when they first came out. Great gun. Never used it as much as I wanted to, so I sold it. Went hunting a few times and shot some clay birds. Never one problem. I always enjoyed loading Remington 3.5 magnum 00 buckshot rounds in it and handing it to a friend to shoot. That's fun for maybe one shot. 18 double ought pellets at magnum velocity makes the recoil quite stout. It's a good choice for those that actually plan on using 3.5 shells in it, otherwise you are better off with a shotty with 3 inch chambers. A pump gun with 3.5 inch chambers makes for a LONG stroke. Good luck with it.
    You are an evil man. But I will agree, it is fun to do with unsuspecting people (especially those who talk about recoil not bothering them...most of the time, they're too busy trying to act cool to notice you're shooting target loads and they're shooting the small-arm equivalent of artillery).

But on the subject of the Benelli, my brother has the Stoeger version of that (the 350 I think), and he really likes it. The longer LOP fit him really well. But, it has served him well, and hopefully yours does as well!

My only comment is, if you do use it for target shooting, you might consider switching out the fiber-optic front sight for a simple bead. My brother had issues with his, where he would look at the optic, and not the target.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    You are an evil man. But I will agree, it is fun to do with unsuspecting people (especially those who talk about recoil not bothering them...most of the time, they're too busy trying to act cool to notice you're shooting target loads and they're shooting the small-arm equivalent of artillery).

But on the subject of the Benelli, my brother has the Stoeger version of that (the 350 I think), and he really likes it. The longer LOP fit him really well. But, it has served him well, and hopefully yours does as well!

My only comment is, if you do use it for target shooting, you might consider switching out the fiber-optic front sight for a simple bead. My brother had issues with his, where he would look at the optic, and not the target.
    Thanks. I am starting from just about zero, when it comes to firing a shotgun, so that may be a possibility. Lots to learn is a good/fun thing though. I'll keep that in mind!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith