Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Carolyn McCarthy to Introduce Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Handgun Reporting

I saw this today.

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/ind...iontree=18,289

Advisory: Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy to Introduce Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Handgun Reporting
    Friday July 09, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Wednesday, July 14, 2010, Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), will hold a press conference call for members of the media to introduce her new legislation that will require reporting lost and stolen handguns to the police.

Statistics confirm that most crimes committed with guns, are committed using illegal handguns – obtained through trafficking, straw purchases, or theft. When police discover a handgun at a crime scene, it is usually possible to trace it back to an original purchaser. Straw purchasers often rely on the “I lost it and forgot to report it,” loophole to get off the hook. Lost or stolen handgun reporting would help seal that hole – with zero impact on responsible, law-abiding owners.

A 2008 study published by Mayors Against Illegal Guns discovered that the seven states already enforcing a similar requirement show a 67 percent reduction in the number of crime guns traced back to within their borders.

Your coverage is welcome.

WHAT: Rep. Carolyn McCarthy Press Conference Call Introducing Legislation Requiring
    Lost and Stolen Handgun Reporting

WHO: Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (NY-04)
    Thomas McMahon, Mayor, Reading, PA
    Deputy Commissioner William Flanagan, Nassau County Police Department
    Paul Helmke, President, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    Joe Grace, Executive Director, CeaseFire PA
    WHEN: Wednesday, July 14, 2010
    9:30 a.m. EDT
    I'm assuming this is going to be a national thing? I see some of our favorite people are going to be there...

Anyone know what MAIG study they're talking about?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Carolyn McCarthy to Introduce Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Handgun Repor

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I saw this today.

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/ind...iontree=18,289

I'm assuming this is going to be a national thing? I see some of our favorite people are going to be there...

Anyone know what MAIG study they're talking about?
    So, during the McDonald case the antis argue that the states can handle regulating the issue just fine. Then, of course, once the Supreme Court slaps them down, they start arguing that all those "other" states can't handle things on their own. Bloody hypocrites, the lot of 'em.

Edit: I guess it's time for me to get my foot in the door with some of our national representatives.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Carolyn McCarthy to Introduce Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Handgun Repor

A must-read companion post to the above:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/105426-gun-stolen.html

Pierce8468 July 11, 2011

Gun stolen
    My home was robbed The other day, and the only thing taken was a 9mm that I leave on the night stand. I have a very good idea who did it, but of course the PPD are not really willing at all to do anything about it, but did inform me almost instantly that I will lose my LTCF. I really love how they now want me to not be able to defend myself from my own gun!!!! This is probably the number one reason that people don't report them, as well as the reason that most guns used in crimes are stolen. Because they do nothing to track them down and get them off the street.

(Berks County)

In case anyone hasn't seen it...

Next up is reporting of lost and stolen barrel shrouds.

(Bucks County)

They are relentless, they will never ever never stop campaigning to take your 2A rights away.

(Berks County)

What do you bet Joe Grace is there to tell how wonderful Lost and Stolen is in PA, even though all municipalities that have enacted it are in violation of the law, and there have been zero (0) arrests or prosecutions.

(Delaware County)

oh great...another idiot who knows absolutely 0 about firearms trying to put gun control measures in place.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    They are relentless, they will never ever never stop campaigning to take your 2A rights away.
    They will when we make it unprofitable for them politically to do so.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Can you imagine if we, say, campaigned to take away their first amendment rights?

Oh wait, Obama has already done that in the Gulf.

(Berks County)

http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/ind...55&itemid=1559

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy Introduces Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Gun Reporting
    Wednesday July 14, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), introduced The Firearm Owners Responsibility Act, which will require reporting of lost and stolen guns to the police.

The legislation will require that gun owners report a lost or stolen gun to law enforcement within 3 days (72 hours) from discovery of the firearm's loss or theft. Failure to do so comes with a penalty of a fine, or up to one year in prison, or both.

“I am introducing this legislation to help create safer communities and to assist our law enforcement with identifying illegal firearms quickly so they can get them off of the streets. This legislation is a win-win, because it protects the public and has no impact on responsible gun owners,” said Congresswoman McCarthy. “This type of legislation is past due; too many people have died needlessly, and too many guns have gone unchecked.”

Statistics confirm that most crimes committed with guns, are committed using illegal guns – obtained through trafficking, straw purchases, or theft. When police discover a gun at a crime scene, it is usually possible to trace it back to an original purchaser. Straw purchasers often rely on the “I lost it and forgot to report it,” loophole to get off the hook. Lost or stolen gun reporting would help seal that hole – with zero impact on responsible, law-abiding owners.

Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence calls this legislation a smart approach to tackling the issue of illegal guns, while not violating the rights of responsible gun owners.

"A responsible gun owner would never lose a gun, or have one stolen, without reporting it to the authorities," said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "The only individuals that are genuinely inconvenienced by a sensible proposal like this are people involved in illegal gun trafficking. I commend Congresswoman McCarthy for introducing this common-sense proposal to make it harder for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons.”

A 2008 study published by Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) reported that the seven states already enforcing a similar requirement show a 67 percent reduction in the number of crime guns traced back to within their borders. Mayor of Reading, Pa, Thomas McMahon, also a member of MAIG, says this legislation will help remove illegal guns from the streets and sees Pennsylvania on track to add similar reporting laws.

“In Pennsylvania dozens of cities and towns have already stepped up and taken action to require lost or stolen guns be reported missing to the police. My city, Reading, was one of the first. Lost or stolen gun reporting is not a Second Amendment issue. This is a law enforcement issues,” said McMahon. “Our police department has been using this reform to crack down on criminals who use and traffic illegal guns for more than a year. To be most effective, we need the broadest possible coverage -- citywide, statewide, nationwide. It is encouraging that Congresswoman McCarthy, joined by a number of Legislators from Pennsylvania, is bringing this issue to light nationally."

New York State is one of seven states that already enforces lost or stolen reporting laws. Commissioner of the Nassau County Police Department in New York, Lawrence Mulvey sites this as big help to law enforcement officials.

“Here in Nassau County, we require all of our licensed gun owners to notify the Police Department when a gun has been lost or stolen,” said Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey. “Having this legislation mandate that all jurisdictions have the same requirements will provide law enforcement officials with an additional tool that will help in solving gun related crimes.”

Joe Grace, Executive Director of CeaseFire PA, an advocacy group dedicated to reducing and preventing gun violence through education and advocacy in communities across Pennsylvania also has seen much activity across the state in support of such a measure.

"In Pennsylvania, 45 cities and towns have taken local action in support of a simple requirement that gun owners report lost or stolen guns to police once they discover they're missing. This burst of action at the local level demonstrates how common sense this reform really is: If your gun is lost or stolen, what could be more reasonable than requiring that you report it to the police?” said Grace. “CeaseFirePA is seeking this reform's passage as a statewide law in Pennsylvania, and we're gratified to see leadership by Congresswoman McCarthy to pass lost or stolen as a reform at the national level as well."
    You've been using it for more than a year, mayor? How many arrests have there been under this ordinance? How many convictions?

Would a right to know request help with this information?