Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Finally Pulled The Trigger on My First Real Wheel Gun

No, I didn't shoot a revolver for the first time, I bought a nice revolver for the first time. I've had a crappy little single action .22 revolver, but never a serious tool. I've been hunting for a long time and today the girlfriend surprised me with a trip to Cabela's and and an S&W 637. It was used but in very, very good shape. Locked up tight as could be, and the cylinder barrel gap looked good. It was cheap too. Grabbed a DeSantis Nemesis while I was there and 100 rounds of FMJ and 40 rounds of Winchester PDX1 130 grain +P. Wouldn't have been my first choice in defense ammo but the pickings were slim.

I went immediately to the range once we returned home and shot almost all of the ammo. I dig the little gun. Recoil is manageable, but I can definitely see why an airweight snubbie is not necessarily a great gun for the new shooter. I didn't shoot at any further than 10 yards, mostly because the range was crowded. At 10 yards though the gun performed admirably when I did my part. I was able to keep 85-90% of my rounds on a 5 inch target shooting DA. Single action is just fun. I only shot a few rounds single action, but I enjoyed it. My plan is using it for a defensive pistol so I will concentrate on DA almost solely.

I'm very, very happy with it. I had my heart set on a 642 but this came along and the price was right and the girlfriend was into it so it came home with us.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Perry County)

Default Re: Finally Pulled The Trigger on My First Real Wheel Gun

I got a slightly older, used S&W Model 36 (snub nose .38) recently and I was surprised at how well it handles recoil also. Because the grip is a bit small for my hand, I can't shoot comfortably for a long time, but if it had a grip that my whole hand would fit, I could shoot it all day.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I got a slightly older, used S&W Model 36 (snub nose .38) recently and I was surprised at how well it handles recoil also. Because the grip is a bit small for my hand, I can't shoot comfortably for a long time, but if it had a grip that my whole hand would fit, I could shoot it all day.
    I hear ya, The supplied grip works ok for me, but it really shines in keeping the overall size of the gun down. That's why i like it. It's certainly not a target pistol. If it was a range gun I might look into something different, but for what it is I like the grips for the time being.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I hear ya, The supplied grip works ok for me, but it really shines in keeping the overall size of the gun down. That's why i like it. It's certainly not a target pistol. If it was a range gun I might look into something different, but for what it is I like the grips for the time being.
    Exactly. I bought it for concealed carry since it was small.

(Lackawanna County)

If you change the grips to 3 finger you will have greater accuracy,i did that on my chiefs special and am very happy with the result.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    ... today the girlfriend surprised me with a trip to Cabela's and and an S&W 637.
    Wow. Keep-her.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Montgomery County)

That indeed is a real wheel gun, and a real Man's gun. Congrats on the Smith and Wesson real gun.

If that hammer spur bothers you or snags on clothing a decent gunsmith (or even a mediocre to adequate one) could cut the spur off for less then 50 bucks. Then it will be damn near the same a a 642, well close enough anyway.

When I carry my 642 I also put two 8 shot speed strips in my back strong side pocket, which gives me three cylinders worth of reloads and one spare round. (hopefully enough ammo for me to escape intact if I ever need to)

When it comes to speedloaders, I really dig the safariland push button type. I have both the hks and Safariland type and they are close in price. Try them out to see which you like. Here is the safariland type:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=127569

Congrats, now get some lead fouling in that bore...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    That indeed is a real wheel gun, and a real Man's gun. Congrats on the Smith and Wesson real gun.

If that hammer spur bothers you or snags on clothing a decent gunsmith (or even a mediocre to adequate one) could cut the spur off for less then 50 bucks. Then it will be damn near the same a a 642, well close enough anyway.

When I carry my 642 I also put two 8 shot speed strips in my back strong side pocket, which gives me three cylinders worth of reloads and one spare round. (hopefully enough ammo for me to escape intact if I ever need to)

When it comes to speedloaders, I really dig the safariland push button type. I have both the hks and Safariland type and they are close in price. Try them out to see which you like. Here is the safariland type:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=127569

Congrats, now get some lead fouling in that bore...
    I have already considered getting the hammer cut down, but it doesn't seem to be bothering me at the moment, so we'll see what the future brings.

Speed loaders/strips are the only thing I didn't grab while I was at Cabela's. Just slipped my mind. I need to pick some up.

Steve, what is the name of that holster company you're always reccomending? Slipped my mind.

(Montgomery County)

Simply Rugged.
    www.simplyrugged.com

I think the model they have for the J frame is the silver dollar. I highly recommend their products, especially for wheel gunners. They run about 45 usd base, and can be had with inside out straps to make it IWB.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Congrats! I love my (hammerless) Airweight like a daughter. Recoil is pretty noticeable with +P ammo, but my affection for it grows and grows anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast