Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest plinker

(Dauphin County)

Default Latest plinker

Little J.C. Higgins (actually made by hi-standard) Model 80 .22. Been thinking of picking up a .22 semi for plinking and initial training for new shooters. Father in law gave us this one. Had to get a new mag for it, but it purrs now. Shows a lot of promise with Rem .22 target ammo. still need to try a few more brands to see what it likes the best.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Latest plinker

I like that. What is the vintage? Where did you find the mag?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I like that. What is the vintage? Where did you find the mag?
    Don't want to steal the OP's thunder, but from the way the barrel is secured, I'm guessing the 1950's but maybe earlier. I don't remember when Hi-Standard went to the plunger/mushroom style of barrel attachment.

Hi-Standard mags are pretty easy to come by. They essentially only had two grip angles, thus two mag styles. (The later style was a military angle to mimic the 1911 for easier transition in 3-gun Bullseye).

That J.C. Higgins (a Sears trade name, for the uninformed) is a great plinker and probably a pretty unusual piece. Also nice that it is an heirloom and that it will be used to introduce new shooters to the fold. Kudos.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Vintage is late `50's to early `60's when Sears sold them for about 4-5 years. After that their "house" brand changed to Ted Williams. This version would be late `55 -`61. Think my father in law said he bought it in `62 though.

As for the mag, you can find them online. I found a manufacturer that makes and had them in stock. Can also do a search under the Hi-Standard model number 101.

The target grip fills the hand nicely and is comfortable. Even the wife likes it with her small hands. This is the 4.5 barrel version. Think I'm going to keep an eye out for a 6.5" barrel for it. It was designed for barrel change out and could even be bought with both barrel lengths included. LIke I said, will be a fun plinker.
    Last edited by 509thsfs; July 11th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by 509thsfs View Post
    Little J.C. Higgins (actually made by hi-standard) Model 80 .22. Been thinking of picking up a .22 semi for plinking and initial training for new shooters. Father in law gave us this one. Had to get a new mag for it, but it purrs now. Shows a lot of promise with Rem .22 target ammo. still need to try a few more brands to see what it likes the best.
    I sill don't understand why people think a 22 is good for starting new shooters. Two years ago I started my 10 year old grandaughter shooting her first pistol I gave her (to own) & to shoot was a Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless 1911 9mm & a Bushmaster AR15. One week later she was shooting my 45's & 44 magnum's. And today she can shoot better than most of my friend's. Youth will win about every time I will admit if they are a scareycat I can see why but today's youth are ready for anything. They are so willing to learn.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 14th, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Dauphin County)

"I sill don't understand why people think a 22 is good for starting new shooters."

Because it's easier and quicker for new shooters to concentrate on grip, sight alignment and trigger control when they are not trying to anticipate recoil. They find it easier to concentrate on basics and transition to larger calibers quicker. When you run 100 plus students every year through a short familiarization class (with Glocks in 45 ACP), 90+% of whom have never even touched a pistol in their lives, and start to see "crotch shots" on a sillouette target at 5-7 yds with 15-20% of them, you know exactly what is happening...recoil anticipation. They are just basically hanging on to get their rounds off. When recoil and muzzle flip is not a factor, it's more fun for them, they learn more and quicker, and develope better habits/muscle memory. Makes the transition to larger bore pistols quicker and smoother. They also look forward to "moving up".

Just my experiernce, your mileage may vary
    Last edited by 509thsfs; July 15th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

(Bucks County)

Agree with above and cost factors in as well. I take 2 daughters to range with me and we go through 250 to 300 rounds of .22 each session. In addition to 9mm.

(Dauphin County)

Yep on the cost factor. Also why I take my .22 revolver out regularly. Especially during the off season if I'm going to carry a revolver for deer. Good cheap way to keep the eye sharp and reinforce muscle memory. No need to bang out magnum loads for regular practice. Same mechanics, with less recoil fatigue. It works. Something I was taught and learned years ago.

Also a reason I'm getting 22 conversions for a couple of my semi's.

If I decide to get back into shooting competition again, the .22 conversions allow cheap practice on same frame. Still cheaper even though I load all my own ammo and cast my own bullets.

works for me anyhow. whatever works for you.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by 509thsfs View Post
    "I sill don't understand why people think a 22 is good for starting new shooters."

Because it's easier and quicker for new shooters to concentrate on grip, sight alignment and trigger control when they are not trying to anticipate recoil. They find it easier to concentrate on basics and transition to larger calibers quicker. When you run 100 plus students every year through a short familiarization class (with Glocks in 45 ACP), 90+% of whom have never even touched a pistol in their lives, and start to see "crotch shots" on a sillouette target at 5-7 yds with 15-20% of them, you know exactly what is happening...recoil anticipation. They are just basically hanging on to get their rounds off. When recoil and muzzle flip is not a factor, it's more fun for them, they learn more and quicker, and develope better habits/muscle memory. Makes the transition to larger bore pistols quicker and smoother. They also look forward to "moving up".

Just my experiernce, your mileage may vary
    I guess the secret is starting shooter's at an earlier age before they get scared & still think they can do anything. And you know what? It work's the younger kids don't fear as much as the younger adult's. This is a fact I have learned thru experience by teaching my children, grandchildren, cousin's...START'M YOUNG ..before they get old & scared. But I'm a country boy where kids are hunting with 410 shotguns by 6 years old minimum. I've actually won money from friend's by saying my 12 year old grandaughter can out shoot you with a 44 magnum @ 100yds on 8in. steel plates. It's funny as hell when she tear's them a new ass...LOL...I do give the money to her. She does shoot 3 gun competition locally but I don't tell them that...LOL..You know men they already think they can out shoot a girl....LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 15th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Dauphin County)

My boy started with .22 revolver and a friends .22 semi pistol off the bench at age 5. Red Ryder before that. Worked his way up to .50 cal M2 a couple years ago in the Army ; ) took his 1st squirrel at age 6 and 1st buck and turkey at 11. (earliest legal age for big game in MO)

Keep in mind, not everyone is the same. I teach/taught a lot of people over the years and no one size fits all. So I have and use various type pistols, calibers, and loads. Earlier is definitely better though. Sponges for info and no bad habits or pre-conceived ideas to break. Your mileage/experience may vary.
    Last edited by 509thsfs; July 15th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast