Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Worth the Money?

A local shop of mine has a couple of rifles I'm looking at. They have an ACR for $1600-$1800, a SCAR for $2700, an M14 variant that fires .308 $1500, and a Vector .45 acp $3200. Are any of these worth the money or should I just work on my RRA?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Worth the Money?

Worth and value is tough to say as you know your own wallet and financial positioning better than any.
    No one would fault you if you passed on all of these and just stayed the course for another 6mos to see what other crap the future holds.

All just MHO... I personally would fault you for the Vector in .45ACP. IMHO, that's too freakin much on a couple levels; 1) - its a Vector for too much $ and 2) - real IMI 9mms can be found for less. Uzi .45 mags are not as plentiful and affordable as the 9mm mags. And ammo - not pretty unless you know/are a reloader.

You didn't specify the "M14" variant; if it was Chinese, then $1500.00 is WAY too much, can't say about an SA as I lost interest decades ago. And a .308 semi is some pricey plinking. At least M1A/M14 mags have come down a bit in price over the years.

If you must plink in .308, a FrankenFAL is not quite half the cost of that "M14 variant". Century's FALs have gotten surprisingly good press;

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/rifle-fal.aspx

And a FAL always looks good.

Me personally if I had your ducats; I'd get the ACR as the fun-gun - they've gotten good press and you don't see them up and down the range like you do the ARs.
    And for the cash paid it would be easy to flip if you suddenly don't care for it/need the cash.

But not so for the SCAR. If you had to dump the SCAR, the folks with deep enough pockets would go for new for the similar price you'd need/want.
    Plus you'd be constantly worried over getting your $2.7K rifle scruffy - I sure know I would.

Hell, just work your RRA over and make it your own, add a 9mm conversion for the fun, and/or a CMMG kit for the cheap blasting fun.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

Hell, just work your RRA over and make it your own, add a 9mm conversion for the fun, and/or a CMMG kit for the cheap blasting fun.
    That's an idea but I think I would try for a .40 cal since I have boxes of that around for my XD.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=414

I wonder what the cost would be to have that extra conversion

(Allegheny County)

Couldn't resist and went to Gunbrokeya to see what an SA M1A is trying to be sold for; looks like the entry levels are at $1600.00. Maybe with a decent round count and some extra mags, $1500.00 isn't crazy if you like that style.

Now if that "M14 variant" is a Beretta BM59/62 for $1500.00 - buy it immediately.

The base ACRs are in the $1800.00 and up category.

But the .40 conversion sounds waaaay better. Oly seems to be one of the main players in non-9mm pistol-cal ARs...

http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?opt...d=49&Itemid=37

Just a thought, but you can start lurking here for Oly PCC-AR talk;

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewforum....589a5000e27be8
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

What are you getting the gun for? The SCAR is nice, but overpriced compared to what can accomplish the same goal, and the ACR is a 1/9 twist bastardized version of the Masaga that Magpul designed. I was hoping the ACR had picked up more, and sooner in time for my next carbine purchase, but it isnt looking that way. Given the other guns mentioned though I question what role the gun will be used for. Do you want a cool 16" gun, or something to fill a role?

If going for a cool gun, I would look into the SCAR. I know it is subjective, but it feels much better than the ACR (I havent shot either, that makes a difference).
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

If you're set on getting a new gun I'd go with the ACR from what you listed. The FAL nfafan mentioned would be another one. They're really nice rifles. Otherwise I'd say stick with your RRA, get a .22 bolt, maybe another upper, 9mm if you want. However I would stay away from anything Oly sells, they have a long and well deserved bad reputation. I know where you're coming from not wanting to add another caliber, however it's not really worth running pistol rounds through a rifle except for fun and it's really not worth it if you are going to depend on Oly.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Washington County)

1600-1800 for the ACR is a really good price for the basic model I just saw one at the Ace Sporting goods for $2300. Do you mind if I was where your local shop is that is selling them for 500 to 700 less?

I agree with the above poster. At 1,600-1,800 the ACR is the best bang for the buck. The cheapest ACR I found when they first came out was $2,150. I heard of folks complaining about the weight of the ACR before it was released. All I can say is that it seemed very light to me. I liked the features of the ACR.

If BM ever offers it in other calibers, I'll probably pick one up.

The SCAR is nice, but is out of touch in the price point department. FN had some blemished ones selling for $2k a few months back. I like the SCAR, but I just don't think it's worth the $2,700 price tag your gun shop is asking.