Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Medical discharge

A guy I work with is interested in buying a gun. He has a medical discharge from the military for substance abuse (alcohol). Is this going to be a problem for him?
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Medical discharge

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    A guy I work with is interested in buying a gun. He has a medical discharge from the military for substance abuse (alcohol). Is this going to be a problem for him?
    No. It isn't going to be a problem. My military experience never came up in any way shape or form when it came to my LTCF and my Glock purchase at SurplusCity

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    No. It isn't going to be a problem. My military experience never came up in any way shape or form when it came to my LTCF and my Glock purchase at SurplusCity
    Did you actually read the paperwork you were filling out? Both the LTCF application and the SP 4-113 ask about a dishonorable discharge from the military.

That said, it does not ask about any other type of discharge, so IMO, the OP's friend will most likely not have a problem making a purchase.

If applying for a LTCF and the Sheriff somehow discovered this information, they could possible deny the LTCF for either being a "habitual drunkard", or cite the character clause.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

The status of his discharge, and any related convictions that caused him to be admitted to alcohol counseling might be the only issues, but assuming none of those are problems, he should be fine.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    The status of his discharge, and any related convictions that caused him to be admitted to alcohol counseling might be the only issues, but assuming none of those are problems, he should be fine.
    Got a citation for anything other than a dishonorable discharge being a possible prohibiting factor for a firearm purchase?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Got a citation for anything other than a dishonorable discharge being a possible prohibiting factor for a firearm purchase?
    Don't need it, the status of the discharge is whether it was honorable, general, or dishonorable. Medical discharge doesn't denote status of discharge. The commander in the military has tons of discretion, and sending a soldier to counseling is part of it. If there were other convictions that woould lead to the commander recommending counseling, and they would be prohibiting offenses, then they would also potentially be prohibiting, eg. excessive DUI's. Offenses that take place off post, by a soldier, also fall under the commander's discretion for non-judicial punishment. There is not enough information there to say yes or no, that is why I gave him the other things he needed to be aware of.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    Don't need it, the status of the discharge is whether it was honorable, general, or dishonorable. Medical discharge doesn't denote status of discharge. The commander in the military has tons of discretion, and sending a soldier to counseling is part of it. If there were other convictions that woould lead to the commander recommending counseling, and they would be prohibiting offenses, then they would also potentially be prohibiting, eg. excessive DUI's. Offenses that take place off post, by a soldier, also fall under the commander's discretion for non-judicial punishment. There is not enough information there to say yes or no, that is why I gave him the other things he needed to be aware of.
    I would agree that convictions that led to a particular discharge classification could be an issue, but don't think that a particular classification in and of itself would be an issue. I also am not aware of any problem being created by someone being required to participate in any type of counseling, unless there is an involuntary commitment involved.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I would agree that convictions that led to a particular discharge classification could be an issue, but don't think that a particular classification in and of itself would be an issue. I also am not aware of any problem being created by someone being required to participate in any type of counseling, unless there is an involuntary commitment involved.
    However, the OP didn't state whether he was voluntarily or involuntarily sent to counseling, which is why I said IF there were any underlying convictions. If he was convicted of three or more DUI's in a five year period, on or off post, and depending on how charged on post, then he would be prohibited, correct?

Medical discharge is not a classification, assuming it is honorable or general would be wrong. As I stated, he needs to know the type of discharge.
    Last edited by ExCopInPhilly; July 10th, 2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: clarification

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Montgomery County)

Youre right about the discharge classification being on the paperwork, but I was never asked any specifics about the discharge. Sorry if my statement was unclear in its meaning. All that is on the paperwork is Honorable or Dishonorable... his saying "Medical Discharge" led me to believe it was a "General Disharge under Honorable Coniditions: Medical"

Thanks for the responses. As to my knowledge he has never had any issues with the law on anything except a speeding ticket here or there. Nothing as far as DUI. Not sure what happened but he ended up in rehab then was offered a medical Discharge. So that is all I know. I know the FFL form asks if you have other than Honorable discharge. I was not sure where Medical discharge fell in there and neither did he.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast